mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Looking for upgrade advice for a BH

I picked up a 2003 Big Hit for my wife. From what I can see the only upgrades are Hayes hydraulic brakes and a bash guard. She wants to use it to beat around on some trails and maybe some freeriding/downhill as her skills progress.
    I've searched until my eyes started to bleed for info. But in some respects this site has too much info on it.
    Anyhow, suspension upgrades will be done as her skills develop and my budget allows. What would be a decent replacement fork and shock that won't bankrupt me? It has a Mozo 5.5 fork on it right now. I know, I know every thread on here says that they are junk. I've been searching Ebay and the classifieds on here. But unless you know what you are looking at it's kinda pointless.
    Also, the forks that I do see have a 20mm axle. Her wheels have skewers. So if I upgrade the forks, do I have to upgrade the wheels? I figure that at some point I would. Just want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance,
    Clint

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Go 20mm axel. You only need a 150mm fork but keep your eyes open and something will turn up.
    Shermans are cheap and easy to repair,there all over ebay.

The Other Dude
    I upgraded to the sherman slider on my 05 big hit, and it was GREAT! The dual crown is super stiff, and it was very plush fork, it saved my butt a bunch of times! The other thing that REALLY surprised me was how well it climbed, it is a 170mm fork, but climbed just as well as my fox talas 36 150mm did! I did our 14 mile xc loop with it twice in one day, and it climbed great. The cool thing is that that www.greenfishsports.com has the sliders on sale for 279.99, and retail on them is around 700, i would pick one up there before they are gone, they are one great fork!

I never had any complaints about the vanilla R shock it came with, but i there are a TON of shock options out there for that bike.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Personally, I wouldn't go with anything hayes. I have seen them in my shop, and ridden them on another friends bike. They felt mushy, and I really didnt like the angling of the lever (I have bigger hands). Maybe the Juicy Codes or Saint brakes? Anyone agree or disagree?

The Other Dude
    I have always been a big fan of the Avid brakes. I have had juicy 5's, 7's and 7 carbons, i havent tried to codes or ultimates yet, but i am sure they are just as great. They have never let me down, and i think the feel every bit as good as my martas.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the advice guys. The Hayes brakes came on the bike, so for now they are going to have to do unless they develop problems.
    But the forks are a different story. They felt like something may be bent or binding in them. And since I haven't read anything good about them, they are the priority to be replaced.
    I asked in a different thread but figure I'd throw it out there again. Does anyone know where I can track down an owners manual for the bike? I tried Specialized's site but they don't have the SPEC listed for Big Hit's. Any other ideas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I ride on the hayes. Everyone who comes in with a problem is usually line related. I put goodridge lines on two seasons ago and only bled the front once.