mtbr member
    May 2017

Looking for help identifying my Rockhopper?

Hello!

I just picked up this bike for $80 from a co-worker. Looking to narrow down the year and model and such. I do plan on bringing it in for a tuneup to The Bike Haven in McHenry IL, but in the mean time I was hoping to get some more info on this baby. I've already put 60+ miles on her and I'm loving it! Really makes me feel like a kid again.

I've mainly just been using it as a trail bike in my local state park and on the Fox River Trail in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Never really tried to do any actual mountain biking like over rough terrain and such.

Any other info or history or tips or mods or anything quality of life improvements would be greatly appreciated. I plan on going downtown Friday for my first Chicago Critical Mass ride. Very stoked!

Thanks and glad to be here!

Name:  773AF6ED-2A88-4A72-8B33-C3FA8475FEDF_thumb.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  13.1 KBName:  upload_thumb.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  21.6 KBName:  upload_thumb1`.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  20.9 KBLooking for help identifying my Rockhopper?-bike1.jpgLooking for help identifying my Rockhopper?-img_1312.jpgLooking for help identifying my Rockhopper?-img_1313.jpgLooking for help identifying my Rockhopper?-img_1315.jpg

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I believe it to be the 1991 model, but there are some minor differences along the early 90s so could be +/- 1 year. Tires may be original, which is amazing.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks for the input Phlegm! Mind elaborating why that would be amazing? (Besides that the bicycle is ~16 years old!)

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    I believe it to be the 1991 model, but there are some minor differences along the early 90s so could be +/- 1 year. Tires may be original, which is amazing.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    The tires appear to be the same (note the lighter sidewall areas) as the OEM originals. Looking at the tread pic, the larger knobs still have a relatively sharp edges.

This suggests very little mileage was put on that bike. Of all the modifications over time, you'd expect tires to be replaced through necessity (wear, or damage).

waiting for a piece (.45)
    You'll probably want to change the seat and tires in the near future if you plan on riding much... saddles are way better than from that era!
    Track-Standing at the threshold