Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking at FSR XC for the wife, need advice

751 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  OnyRS 
#1 ·
Im really wanting to upgrade my wifes bike, i didnt think we'd ride much but it turns out we've been going weekly and her Cannondale F7 is a boat anchor, so i've been looking into the FSR XC/FSR Myka for my wife.. I havent been able to find many reviews on the site, so figured i'd post up and ask

My main concern is the weight, anyone have a good idea of what a medium would weigh, and also anyone know it a setup w/v-brakes can be converted over w/o replacing the Tora on the bike already.

I'd really like to just hear some opinions of these bikes, im looking for a nice moderate full suspension setup for around $1,000 and this seems to be a good option. We mainly ride flat XC, but planning on doing some rides in colorado rockies this summer, so i'd like somthing that doesnt weigh 40 pounds... any input is greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

EDIT: Also if anyone has any suggestions on other bikes that would fit this build let me hear it

#6 ·
From the pictures on the Specialized website it appears the Tora has the ability to be upgraded to disc. I am going to assume that the frame would allow this on the rear of the bike too.

I would guess the weight to be 29-30ish lbs. Maybe a bit more once you put the disc brakes on.

I have an fsrxc and I like it very much.

Happy trails!

#7 ·
I think that only the basic FSR XC comes with V-brakes. All others have disks. The Tora on the Comp, for example, does not have V-brake tabs.

Anyway, I have a medium '08 Comp and right off the LBS it came in at 29.7lbs on my Alpine scale.

I've dropped a little over a pound on it and there's still easy pickin's to drop more, since the

OEM wheels and especially tires can be improved upon significantly as far as weight.

It's a great bike. Handling is awesome, loves to climb, but the geometry is not the most aggressive XC out there, which means, it's not "xc-race" twitchy going down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.