Deere Rider

Looking for E29 taco blade replacement spacer for 1X conversion...

I have the E29 comp and want to remove the taco blade. I called Specialized online and they said call my dealer. I contacted my dealer but they say the only thing their computer shows is to purchase the entire taco blade assembly...which includes the spacer. I thought I read elsewhere that the bike should have come with the spacer when purchased. I asked the dealer about this and they played it off.

Does anyone here have the spacer they would like to sell or know a dealer who might be more helpful than mine? Can I just buy a few washers to take the taco's place or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks for any assistance on this.

Deere Rider
    Looking for E29 taco blade replacement spacer for 1X conversion...-20140403_114846.jpg

I got impatient and came up with my own solution. I went to the hardware store and got some steel machine washers. The one closest to the bearing has to be small enough to not contact the outer bearing race. I then bored the washers for a precise fit on the axle and filed them to achieve a similar thickness as the taco blade. I ended up being 0.1 mm thicker with the washers but left it that way in case there is any compression that happened when I tightened things down. It was a bit tricky to get them positioned and the axle inserted as the fit is very tight (that's the way it was taking the taco blade out).

Anywhoo...this should work until I can find the real deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Nice...the real one is a PIA to get in because it's a bit thicker too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The dealers response was ******** and you should tell them that. I recently purchased a Enduro29 and wanted to take the taco off as well. In the owners manual it SHOWS the spacer and labels its as SPACER B when converting to single ring. The DAMM washer should come with the frigin bike when you buy it. Having to buy a whole new taco is ********. The carbon and the Sworks have the spacer in there so its not like specialized only has a limited number of spacers for the bikes. Call your dealer back and talk to the owner and tell him to call specialized and demand a spacer. I talked to the owner of the shop where I bought mine and he called and talked them when I was there and got them to send a couple out to him. Sometimes bike shops are such a pain in the ass and they wonder why alot of people buy there **** online.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Maybe not quite as angry as above, but the post is essentially correct.

Your Enduro should have come with a bag containing: the spacer, tubeless valves, several replacement hose guides, a couple zip ties, volume spacers for the Pike and a couple other small things.

Deere Rider
    Nice. All I got was the tubeless valves and I had to ask for them.

On a positive note, I had originally sent my dealer an email request for the part. After two weeks someone called me saying they had ordered the spacer and would mail it to me ASAP. Still waiting and hoping this is true. If so, I will replace my washers with the spacer the next time my crank is off. If not, my solution seems to be working and I really like the clean look without the taco/ front der!

I worked in a shop for a couple years and know how things like this can get lost if someone is not informed on how to keep track of everything for the customer.

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Re: Looking for E29 taco blade replacement spacer for 1X conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Nice. All I got was the tubeless valves and I had to ask for them.

On a positive note, I had originally sent my dealer an email request for the part. After two weeks someone called me saying they had ordered the spacer and would mail it to me ASAP. Still waiting and hoping this is true. If so, I will replace my washers with the spacer the next time my crank is off. If not, my solution seems to be working and I really like the clean look without the taco/ front der!

I worked in a shop for a couple years and know how things like this can get lost if someone is not informed on how to keep track of everything for the customer.
    The biggest thing is if a shop stocks hundreds of bike like we do, keeping track of hundreds of owners manuals and the small parts that go with each bike is tough..

But As mentioned earlier, your enduro should have come with.

-plastic pedals
    -2 to 4 cable ends
    -tubeless valve stems.
    -2 tokens for your pike
    -3 or 4 zip ties
    -cable bosses for use with 4 cables
    -rubber grommet for use with stealth dropper post.
    -spacer for Taco replacement

Probably forgetting some other stuff too, but that's what I remember when I pulled mine out of the box.
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..