mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Looking at an 03 fsr > are there an issues with pre 04 frames?

i see a big frame redisign in 04. any problems with the 03 design?
    thanks!
    bill

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

No real issues....

The redesign of the frame was done primarily to strengthen the seat mast due to a trend toward more aggresive riding styles that many riders seem to prefer these days. The seat mast of the 03 is plenty strong for the bikes intended purpose, XC/Trail. As long as you keep that in mind you shouldn't have any problems with it. Just make sure that you have the recommended minimum amount of seat poste insearted at all times and that the post doesn't extend so far down that it makes contact with the shock body under full compression and you'll be fine. Also be aware that the lower shock bushings on the FSR design are prone to wear and need to be replaced more often than some other designs. But it is not really an issue, just a fact of life with the FSR design. As long as there is no play in the bushing you're good to go. But keep an eye on them and replace them when they show any play at all. Anyway, for it's intended purpose the 03 FSR is a fine bike.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

...the wave won't brek
    I have an '03 Rockhopper FSR I have had no problems with it at all.

I think the change was just for the sake of change. I ride with a guy that rides a 2001 S-Works FSR (has had it since it was new) and has had no problems with it either.

I think the redesigne was just change for the sake of change.

Good Luck

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    thanks!