Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Mud Boy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    315

    looked over 06 dealer book

    looked over my local dealers 06 bike book yesterday. I am specifically interested in the new brain equipted Stumpy's.
    Rough details/prices below
    S-Works carbon Stumpy, carbon/black color-mostly same part spec as 05, except carbon bar, stem, spacers, XTR cranks, XT brakes, Sram chain, shifters, rear derauiller, crossmax's-$7000

    S-Works M5 Stumpy-all M5 alloy, ugly(IMHO) brown, same as Fox P36 fork I'm told, same part spec as above-$5500

    S-Works frameset, no fork option, black, silver, brown-$2000

    Stumpy FSR XC PRO, M4 alloy,black- full XT build, same sram parts as noted above, many standard Specalized components, alloy bar,x717 wheelset with stout hubs$3500

    that's the nutshell. The S works M5 stumpy would be my choice except that brown is ugly as hell. If it was available in black, I would have had the shop get in line for one yesterday.

    The rep told the shop that the carbon front triangle, is 1/4# lighter than the M5 alloy equivilent. The real advantage for the stumpy is not the weight savings, but the huge increase in chassis stiffness. The rep raved about how much the Stumpy was improved by the carbon chassis.

    So, this is the year for me to finally replace my old upgraded 99 FSR XC PRO. Gotta figure out what to do next . Buy the frameset, and build the ultra Stumpy, settle for the Pro and tweek here and there, or look for a deal on the carbon wunder bike.I should be happy with the PRO, but...

    I could just pull the 03 S-works wheelset off my bike, put them on the new pro, change the rotors, add a 9 speed ti cassette, and I'd have that sweet trail music I love so much. I simply must have that sweet Hugi music. Something about the Hugi/Ti combo just does it for me ya know...

    What to do, what to do

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tarekith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,948
    I too thought that new brown was NASTY. Oh well, at least it won't look dirty very often
    Tarekith.com

    '12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

  3. #3
    Mtc
    Mtc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mtc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    495
    I agree with everything you say, but I thought the brown looked kind of cool. The Pro will be sweet as well. Just wondering where that brain puts the frame weight(sorry racer weight weenie dude) which is what first attracted me to the SJ.
    We can anxiously wait now.

  4. #4
    RFKA Coldsnap
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    655
    I'm waiting on one thing.... The price for that lovely gray Big Hit with the 888s and SRAM bits. If it's near $3000 I'm going to cry, but if it's closer to $2500 I'm golden.
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by magdaddy
    looked over my local dealers 06 bike book yesterday.
    Did you by any chance noticed whether there will be a '06 S-Works Epic still in M5?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    what are the prices for the 150mm 06 enduros and 160mm eduros(SXT1 and SXT2)?
    thanks
    Pat

  7. #7
    Mud Boy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    315
    I didn't look at price or anything else, except the brain eqpt stumpy's. I would assume that concerning the epic, that an S works bike with the M5 would also be available-along with the $7k carbon version, and M4 in lesser bikes.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by magdaddy
    I didn't look at price or anything else, except the brain eqpt stumpy's. I would assume that concerning the epic, that an S works bike with the M5 would also be available-along with the $7k carbon version, and M4 in lesser bikes.
    Magdaddy, can you confirm this? I just put a deposit on a '05 S-Works Epic as I thought there isn't going to be any more M5 version for '06. Maybe I can still salvage the situation in time.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EPICYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    277

    No M5 Sworks Epic

    There is no M5 Sworks Epic. If you wnat to buy and Epic frame, you have no choice but to spend $3,800 on the carbon frame. I can only hope Specialized changes this because I don't know anyone that will pay that much for a frame ( or $7,000 for the bike) . I'll stick with my '04.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TXNavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    328
    Oh well. I was considering getting the Pro, but $3500 is probably more than I'd be willing to spend. I'm wondering if the new 100mm rear triangle and Brain Fade will be compatible with my '04 Epic...I don't know that more travel would be as cost effective to me as the ability to just open up the shock all the way on rutted downhills so I don't get thrashed as badly...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICYZ
    There is no M5 Sworks Epic. If you wnat to buy and Epic frame, you have no choice but to spend $3,800 on the carbon frame. I can only hope Specialized changes this because I don't know anyone that will pay that much for a frame ( or $7,000 for the bike) . I'll stick with my '04.
    Thanks EPICYZ! Hmm.. wonder whether the Brain used in the '06 S-Works Epic is usable on any of the older Epics too.. would be nice to have that option in the future

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TXNavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by sdchew
    Thanks EPICYZ! Hmm.. wonder whether the Brain used in the '06 S-Works Epic is usable on any of the older Epics too.. would be nice to have that option in the future
    I just e-mailed Specialized to ask, and I'll see if my LBS can ask their rep this week, I think he visits on tuesdays or wednesdays...

    Would be a nice change indeed!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TXNavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    328
    Answer back from Specialized is that the '06 rear triangle won't fit on the '04, and that it would be a long time before the shock would be available as a part anyway.

    Looking like I'll have to bite the bullet on a new bike price for a plusher ride after all, but I may take a tape measure to things for myself later anyway just to check...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by TXNavy
    Answer back from Specialized is that the '06 rear triangle won't fit on the '04, and that it would be a long time before the shock would be available as a part anyway.

    Looking like I'll have to bite the bullet on a new bike price for a plusher ride after all, but I may take a tape measure to things for myself later anyway just to check...

    Hmm... looks like what we are asking for and what Specialized has replied you are two different things! What we need to look is whether the new brain shock itself can fit the older frame. I doubt either one of us would ever consider changing the entire rear triangle unless some damage occurred to it.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TXNavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by sdchew
    Hmm... looks like what we are asking for and what Specialized has replied you are two different things! What we need to look is whether the new brain shock itself can fit the older frame. I doubt either one of us would ever consider changing the entire rear triangle unless some damage occurred to it.
    They told me that the new shock has different travel and is tuned for a different leverage ratio, so it wouldn't work out right as-is. I asked about the whole rear triangle since it has more travel...but they said the pivots are in different places.

    That being said, and myself being an imaginative mechanical engineering grad student with a thesis that doesn't take too much attention right now, and springs being springs and dampers being dampers, and the Brain Shock not likely having position-dependent damping, next year I may try putting the new shock in if I can get one. If the shock doesn't quite fit in the old triangle that's one thing. If it does but won't open all the way that's another and probably fine...but then you'd have to run lower air pressures for the right level of suspension sag and I think you'd end up with a shock with a more progressive spring curve than originally intended, like a TALAS in low volume.

    Still, if the price isn't ridiculous I may try it. Even if it has a more progressive spring curve, I'd probably be fine with that plus a little less Brain lock out with the Fade dial.

    My other idea was to modify my current shock to allow tuning the same way...but that would probably open a can of worms that I'd really rather avoid. Too bad there's no quick aftermarket mod for this. I wonder why no one's thought of doing it before, seems like an obvious design change that would give better adjustability than the IQ adjust...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by TXNavy
    Too bad there's no quick aftermarket mod for this. I wonder why no one's thought of doing it before, seems like an obvious design change that would give better adjustability than the IQ adjust...
    Hmm.. wonder whether PUSH Industry have anything to say about these kind of work.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TXNavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    328
    Dunno...the last time I talked to them about my fork, they said they don't do anything with the Brain Shock. Perhaps if there was an exploded parts diagram or something of a Brain's internals...it can't be that hard to work in some kind of adjustment like I'm thinking of...
    Last edited by TXNavy; 08-09-2005 at 10:41 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Clyde friendly Rocky Mountain ETSX-70/local Rocky dealer review
    By glorth2 in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 10:35 AM
  2. How to tell if my RP3 is an '06???
    By FXRob in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-02-2005, 04:26 PM
  3. Forced dealer build-up for warranty?
    By sharprocks in forum Giant
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 12:00 PM
  4. Disc wheel build : lacing question
    By Nick. in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 06:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •