mtbr member

long lasting vs. lightness?

I have a 05 S-works Epic with XT shifters, hydro brakes, frt. der. cranks w/BB, and XTR r. der. XT hubs laced to mavic 717 rims. Ec70 bars and Thompson stem & post. XTR chain and cassette. 959 pedals.
    Spec. S-works tires w/light tubes.
    I ride XC and am doing my first race on November 20, 2005.
    I ride between 40-50 miles a week and I am 6'3" at 215lbs. I only plan on a few races a year for fun and the challenge.
    My question is what would be worth upgrading or lightining up on my rig? Where is the line between longevity and lightness. I would rather let a few grams be then have something fail, I can always loose a few lbs.
    Thanks for any advice

just ride

lightness of bike or rider

I have battled your same dilemma for years. Last year I was riding a Cannondale Scalpel Team w/ Hope ti brakes, stans wheels, etc, weighing in at 23lbs for a large. After long races I was adjusting the bearings in the fork and truing rims. My race weight is 200lbs, 5'-11" w/ the build of a hockey player. I ride well and feel that I pick good lines. This year same body weight, S-Works Epic frame built up to 25.5lbs and I feel faster than ever. Having confidence in your bike being able to handle a more aggressive line in a race will do more for you than any part that weighs 50grams less.

If I was 145lbs, I would buy the lightest parts I get, but until then I will stay with what I have.

FPC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    sounds like a nice set up that you have - if I were you - your weight with an already nicely set up bike, racing a few races a year for fun, and concerned about weight - I'd lose pounds of body weight for free before spending lots of $ to lose ounces of bike weight - locally you can be 190 and race Clydesdale - it would be relatively easy to lose 10-15 or more pounds of body weight by next spring and it will most likely cost you more than $1000 (rough guesstimate) to lose say 3 pounds of weight off your bike - and bottom line is you're pushing a total weight of you + bike - and the parts selection guide of "light, cheap, strong - pick two" holds fairly true - no offense intended here but truth is the lightening up thing is a fun hobby not to be discouraged but when you look at the costs (time and money) and benefits (slightly lighter bike) of losing ounces off the bike compared to those of losing 10+ pounds off your body - it seems to me to be an easy call - that said there are typically a number of relatively cheap/easy steps you could take to lose some weight off the bike - often tires/tubes, bolt-on skewers, grips are relatively cheap places to start - after that most any "significantly" lighter replacement for what you already have will be expensive - good luck with the upcoming race - have fun with it - that's the main thing

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by 24hrsordie
    I My race weight is 200lbs, 5'-11" w/ the build of a hockey player. I ride well and feel that I pick good lines. This year same body weight, S-Works Epic frame built up to 25.5lbs and I feel faster than ever.
    pete?

bah you have the finesse of a hockey player too.

when are you gonna come down here and ride man?

-sky