mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Lock Out Not Working

I have a Specialized mnt bike ( I believe Hardrock) and the lockout feature does not work. Any idea why?

It's out of warranty so I don't want to spend too much on it if I don't have to or if I really don't need that feature.

For some background, I have not rode this bike that much, maybe 5 - 10 miles and most of that was on pavement or very light trails.

I do want to start going to the local trails (Gainesville State College and Elachee) and start riding. A buddy of mine rides not too often but if we could get together we'd go maybe once or twice a week.
    Specialized HardRock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check the fork and see if it has the letters F. O. X. or C. T. D. If you see those letters printed on the fork then its not broken. They design it with a lockout the dos not work and are calling it the new normal.

On a serious note you bike likely has a lower end fork. We will need alot more details to have any idea why it is not working. Post some pics at least but its almost impossible to say without looking at it. Make sure ifits actuted by a cable that the cable is connected and tight and spinning with its meant to spin.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'll have to look when I get home. It use to work when I got it and then it was like the lever moved. Yes, it's the stock one that came on it. Might need to get another one for it.
    What brand would be a good upgrade but not break the bank?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    You can get a Rockshocks Recon Silver for fairly cheap and it'd be a huge upgrade, being an airfork.

You can save money sticking with a spring fork like the Rockshox XC28, it'd still be a better fork than the stock Suntour(assuming a recent Hardrock).

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    You can get a Rockshocks Recon Silver for fairly cheap and it'd be a huge upgrade, being an airfork.

You can save money sticking with a spring fork like the Rockshox XC28, it'd still be a better fork than the stock Suntour(assuming a recent Hardrock).
    When I picked it up from the shop it was working? The guy said he didn't notice anything broke or anything, must have fixed itself during the process, I don't know.

Don't understand the pricing on that Recon Silver, Google'ing it some prices are $300+ and some under $200.

RockShox Recon Silver TK Fork 2012 | RockShox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    At this price I might would order one,but is it a reputable place to order from?
    RockShox Recon Silver TK Suspension Fork - 100mm Travel - Free Shipping at REI.com

Is there a way to adjust the air in the fork?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Price point is legit!

So is REI.

Yes, the air can be adjusted to body weight easily.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The one at PricePoint uses a coil spring. The one at REI uses an air spring. Forks with air springs are going to cost more than ones with coils, which is why there is the one at PricePoint is under $200 and the one at REI is over $300.