Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

The Lightest Enduro 130

I just purchased a '05 enduro. i'm thinking about how i can modify it into a real high-performer... have you any suggestions? what makes yours plusher, lighter, faster on the climbs, or faster on the downhill...

feel free to list your specs and include a picture of your ride! i'm all ears!

thanks.
    william

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Mine 04 Enduro has been extensively modified to a point where the only original parts are the frame, headset and cranks.

So far I've added a Thomson seatpost, Hope stem, Hope M4 discs, CrankBros Mallets, a Romic D, Rockshox Pike 454 airs, SDG Bel air saddle, ODI grips, SRAM x9 rear mech, XT front mech, hope bulb/XC717 wheels and Panaracer Cinder tyres.

With the Romic, I'm looking at 33-34lb (large), but by using the float I'm weighing in at 30lb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

... and if we just ... I have an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by epicjurneez
    I just purchased a '05 enduro. i'm thinking about how i can modify it into a real high-performer... have you any suggestions? what makes yours plusher, lighter, faster on the climbs, or faster on the downhill...

feel free to list your specs and include a picture of your ride! i'm all ears!

thanks.
    william
    How about you become a stronger rider? That'll make you faster uphill and dowhill. Or you can even work on your riding skills- that'll make your bike feel lighter and plusher. Just effin with ya!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

ouch!)

i guess i do sound like i'm knit-pickin' haha.

i do have a heavier and lighter bike(s).

i've got 94 steel stumpjumper, 01 ellsworth truth, and a 03 bighit(fav) i'm just curious on what i can do to play around with my setup... looks like i just won an ebay auction for a 7.875 fox coilover which will make the rear feel more like the bighit! i'm spoiled by the plushness of the bighit, wondering if i can get the weight down to a truth/stumpjumper.... who knows with all the creative setups out there!

see ya out on the trails!

jmf
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have an '05 comp 130. start with the wheel set and rubber.
    I swapped out the endro pro rubber for a pair of kenda nevegals and stans no-tubes.
    That and lighter wheel set will drop half the weight you can hope to lose.
    Running shimano clips for pedals and an XT crankset, my the bike weighs 28.5 pounds.
    Everything else is stock.

good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    that sounds nice. what wheelset did you change to?

jmf
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    custom,
    King iso disc hubs
    Bontager mustang offset rims (no longer in production)
    32 spokes, double butted 15/17 spokes
    alloy nipples.
    weight 1720 grams

amazing wheel set, four years old, never out of true. Universal Cycles did the original build.
    I honestly swapped them out from my stumpjumper FSR 100.
    If I were to purchase a new set the mavic enduros look good. I think they run around $500 a pair and weigh around 2000g. But if you got the $$$, kings hubs and Stans free ride rims would be sweeeeet.

good ridin'

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    The happiest day on my '03 Enduro was when I put some custom wheels by Mike Garcia on them. Some WTB LL hubs, VXC rims and alloy nips. Weigh about 1580 grams. Solved the bikes brake problems and really made it handle better. The OE wheels are boat anchors IMHO. Eventually evertyhing but the frame was replaced. I also must ad that Pushing the Float R solved the bikes other problem of having to deal with Bob.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

mtbr member
    I have an 03 S-works enduro {s} with 5th ele air 7.875x2.25, 05 fox van 130 rlc, crossmax enduro w/ 2.35 maxxis tubless hr's, avid juicy 7's 6" rotors, Raceface turbine LP's 2 ring and drilled out bash guard, heim chain guide, Cook bros candy sl pedals, xtr 8spd ti cassette, xt f/r derailers, thompson seat post, specialized rivial ti seat, salsa seat binder, specialized 75mm stem, easton ea-70 mid-rise bars,ck headset, gripshift 8spd attack shifters, odi rogue lock-on grips,

27lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Something tells me that my bike must have depleted Uranium stashed in the frame somewhere!

The lightest my 2004 Enduro has ever been has been 29.4lb and that was with a lightweight Pace RC40 up front. That is despite the fact that I've retained the Fox Float, have switched to XC717 rims, Race Face Evolve cranks and SRAM running gear!

I believe that the culprits must be the Panaracer Cinder tyres, which weigh 760 grams each. I've got Bontrager Jones summer tyres, which are significantly lighter and should offset the heavier Rockshox Pike Airs up front.

Any advice on where else I could lose weight from?

The Dude Abides
    I got an 05 Enduro Comp as well. THe frame is a small. It's all stock, save the magnesium welgo platforms I had kicking around. Before I bought it the guy at the shop put it on their scale, and it was 30.1lbs. Almost 2lbs less than the dawg de-lux I was also looking at. I don't think I'll be investing major cash into making it much lighter...i like it how it is. I've taken it up some pretty steep, long climbs and it was great.

Aslo, you guys who are running 7.875" shocks, does your bike perform much different than with the stock 7.625" float R? I know it's only a 1/8" difference, but still wondering.
    This aggression will not stand, man.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

7.875 vs 7.625"

so much for going the light route! i've gone with the recommendations of the vanilla 7.875" coil and it's a new bike again! a very cheap/excellent upgrade! super plush w/ never ending travel. i'm most likely going to add on my old '99 z1 qr20 zoki.

in other words, i'm over the air thing... i've been disappointed with the performance of the front an rear shocks. no matter how much air i have in it, i still get a sense of squirley-ness as if i have a flat tire, and it's usually at speedy sketchy situations. maybe my rebounds to slow/fast? i've never had that problem with coil. the fron shock is WAY too noodly for my weight @ 200# and the bigger hits are rather harsh.

oh well, now i'll have a light weight version of my 03 bighit comp... same rear shock, almost as much travel, a few pounds lighter. i was hoping for even lighter but my weight and style of riding constrains my options.
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've had my shock rebuilt a few times (here in the UK Fox have had warranty issues with seals), but I'm not very happy with my rear shock right now. Every time I hit a bump it blows through all it's travel and squats down at the back, but I've got 220psi in the can!

I've also got a Romic which I use for special occasions. The only problem I have with the Romic is it's weight... It adds 3.5 lb to the weight of the bike. In an ideal world I'd like a halfway house between the Romic and the Fox in terms of weight and performance. DHX Air?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

3.5#?! yipes.

3.5 #?! that's very heavy. i've got the romic d on my ellsworth truth and i did not know it weighed so much! if you switch to the dhx air, please let me know the performance. at this point, i have no faith in air shocks what so ever. i'm pleased with my vanilla r coil for now. it came stock on my 01 truth and 03 bighit comp and it seems i spent too much money for the romic for the performance improvement. the vanilla r's are a bit lighter than the romic but not by much. i appreciate the simplicity of them w/out the propedal.

sorry about the rambling.
    cheers mate!
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by epicjurneez
    so much for going the light route! i've gone with the recommendations of the vanilla 7.875" coil and it's a new bike again! a very cheap/excellent upgrade! super plush w/ never ending travel. i'm most likely going to add on my old '99 z1 qr20 zoki.

in other words, i'm over the air thing... i've been disappointed with the performance of the front an rear shocks. no matter how much air i have in it, i still get a sense of squirley-ness as if i have a flat tire, and it's usually at speedy sketchy situations. maybe my rebounds to slow/fast? i've never had that problem with coil. the fron shock is WAY too noodly for my weight @ 200# and the bigger hits are rather harsh.

oh well, now i'll have a light weight version of my 03 bighit comp... same rear shock, almost as much travel, a few pounds lighter. i was hoping for even lighter but my weight and style of riding constrains my options.

dude, could not have been better put...i have an '05 enduro 130 and am in the process of putting coils in for the fork and shock...just bought an '05 marzocchi 130..and just today the fox float shock went dead....so now i'm hunting for what you have

a vanilla coil is the best bet? one guy had a romic, will any 7.875 shock work...do i really have to find a shock with 2 inch stoke...can i get more stroke?
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a 05 Enduro Elite Brain with Talas RL -fork and Brain-shock. For XC/Enduro that's perfect. For FR/DH I change to Boxxer-fork/Vanilla-shock (don't have the Vanilla yet).
    There's nothing wrong with good air shocks (IMO). I weight virtually nothing (141 lbs), and that plays a big role in the matter.
    I've driven actively throughout the winter (max -4 F) without problems.
    The RP3 is the only air shock model I've heard of to have systematic faults (a lot of stuck down problems).
    I bought the bike last year and I've never added pressure to my Float R-based Brain. It has always had 25 % sag and it uses its whole travel without bottoming out. Not a word of complaint from me.

There's a lot that could be done to decrease the weight (31.5 lbs) from my bike:
    Mavic Crossmax Enduro SL wheelset, Thomson stem, Egg Beaters, Middleburn RS-8 Duo crankset, foldable NBX 2.3s, SRAM PG-990 cassette, Connex Wippermanchain, SLR seat. Total weight saving would be about 4-5 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That's interesting! A Boxxer with an Enduro 130???? Not sure that Spesh's warranty dept would be impressed with that one, haha! Oh well, if it holds up then I won't have any nightmares about using Pikes with mine.

The issues that I've encountered with Fox Floats here are to do with a rogue batch of seals which seem to weaken quickly - however Mojo (UK Fox agents) have identified the problem and have fixed my shock under warranty.

For 99.9% of the riding I've done the Float is more than adequate, but I still am having difficulty balancing the need for more pressure to offset the rear end wallow against having too much pressure to prevent full travel. I'd like it if the air shock was more plush, yet more reluctant to blow through it's stroke too easily.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Romic for general use, it feels almost bottomless and is very tuneable. However, those of you who like to pedal to the top before hammering down the hill might find the weight an issue - personally, I have to carry my bike down 3 floors before I can use it so weight is an issue for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Oh, I almost forgot: I have a pic of it:
    http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/332960073452/boxxu.jpg

It looks unbelievably ugly in the pic, but it's actually quite impressive in nature.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeppe

It looks unbelievably ugly in the pic, but it's actually quite impressive in nature.
    nah, not fugly...nice ride...you like the spesh tires eh?
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by jeppe

How do you stop that thing without a front brake?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, I think the Spesh tires are ok. Pretty light and the widest 2.2" tires I've ever seen. I like a high profile tire, and the Enduro 2.2 has a lot of air volume. I thought I'd buy a new set of Enduro 2.3:s (pretty cheap also), but currently I'm on Nokian NBX 2.3:s and pretty happy with them. It's true that the Enduro-tires are not the best rolling tires, but the traction is pretty good. Perhaps I'll try Nobby Nic 2.4:s next.
    A word of complaint I keep hearing about them: people say that the sides are so thin, that you get flats constantly. I've been running them with a pair of DH-tubes, and no flats. That eliminates the light weight advantage though. If I have even a little doubt that my tires can't take the beating there about to get, it slows me down. Because I can really trust them with the DH-tubes, I'm pretty fast when the terrain gets relly rought.

The front brake was still missing when I took the pic, and I did ride the bike for a long time without it. Frends were really wondering how I could drive without the front brake in the winter, but I guess when you don't brake, you learn to drive.
    There was this one occasion though......a long staircase which ended up on a 5 ft wide pavement before the street. It was rush hour and cars were going non-stop. I rode down the staircase and noticed that the rear brake couldn't slow down the speed from accelerating (it was really slippery). The problem is, the cars can't se the staircase, except the one or two last stairs of it. Must have scared the **** out of some drivers when I bursted out of nowere and could barely stop the bike on the pavement. The rear brake threw the bike sideways on the slush and I came to a stop a few inches from the street.

mtbr member

Light Enduro

Here's my '04 S-Works
    http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=642
    25.29 lbs. 'Nuff said.

Here's a photo with a little bigger tires (Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4") and a new fork (Fox Float XTT).
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ike/enduro.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    Here's my '04 S-Works
    25.29 lbs. 'Nuff said.]
    Whoa!!!! That's a full FOUR pounds lighter than mine, even in it's lightest spec. Tell me that it's the nylon bottle bolts!?!?

Here's the spec of my Spesh:

2004 Enduro base model frame, painted not anodized size Large
    2006 Rock Shox Pike Air U-Turn
    Thomson Elite post
    SDG Bel Air chromo saddle
    Hope M4 discs, 8" front, 7" rear
    Hope Bulb hubs F&R
    Mavic XC717 36H
    Hope XC Stem 90mm
    Easton EA50 mid risers
    SRAM X7 shifters, XT front, X9 Rear
    SRAM PC89 chain
    SRAM PC89 cassette
    Race Face Evolve XC X-type cranks
    DMR V8 pedals
    Bontrager Jones 2.2 AC-X tyres (summer) Panaracer Cinder 2.25 (winter) tyres
    Fox Float R (XC) Romic D (Freeride)
    ODI Rogue grips

The only things I can think of that might free up some weight are the bars (negligible) and the saddle (swap chromo for Ti rails - again negligible difference). I'm no weight weenie but my bike is at the stage where I'd have to throw a lot of money at it in order to lose a significant amount of lbs.

Any ideas....?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    Here's my '04 S-Works
    http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=642
    25.29 lbs. 'Nuff said.

Here's a photo with a little bigger tires (Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4") and a new fork (Fox Float XTT).
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ike/enduro.jpg
    A sub 27 lbs is my goal..... Man the stock Rival-saddle weights like it's made of gold..... 340 grams. I'll be one step closer to the goal when I buy an SLR, which will save more than half in weight. Mabye I'll need to give up brake power (8"/7" Hope Mono M4) to save some weight...
    A new wheelset will be the next big thing. Stock Suns are not that light.

Your old 02 Enduro wasn't that heavy either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PJMatthes
    Whoa!!!! That's a full FOUR pounds lighter than mine, even in it's lightest spec. Tell me that it's the nylon bottle bolts!?!?

Here's the spec of my Spesh:

2004 Enduro base model frame, painted not anodized size Large
    2006 Rock Shox Pike Air U-Turn
    Thomson Elite post
    SDG Bel Air chromo saddle
    Hope M4 discs, 8" front, 7" rear
    Hope Bulb hubs F&R
    Mavic XC717 36H
    Hope XC Stem 90mm
    Easton EA50 mid risers
    SRAM X7 shifters, XT front, X9 Rear
    SRAM PC89 chain
    SRAM PC89 cassette
    Race Face Evolve XC X-type cranks
    DMR V8 pedals
    Bontrager Jones 2.2 AC-X tyres (summer) Panaracer Cinder 2.25 (winter) tyres
    Fox Float R (XC) Romic D (Freeride)
    ODI Rogue grips

The only things I can think of that might free up some weight are the bars (negligible) and the saddle (swap chromo for Ti rails - again negligible difference). I'm no weight weenie but my bike is at the stage where I'd have to throw a lot of money at it in order to lose a significant amount of lbs.

Any ideas....?
    To really lose some weight you'd better get rid of the Pike!
    Swapping the ODI-grips for some simple foam grips saves you around 100g.
    The platform pedals are probably >500g?. There are lighter alternatives such as the NC-17 MG platform pedal 386g.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast