Results 1 to 46 of 46
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    80

    The Lightest Enduro 130

    I just purchased a '05 enduro. i'm thinking about how i can modify it into a real high-performer... have you any suggestions? what makes yours plusher, lighter, faster on the climbs, or faster on the downhill...

    feel free to list your specs and include a picture of your ride! i'm all ears!

    thanks.
    william

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    87
    Mine 04 Enduro has been extensively modified to a point where the only original parts are the frame, headset and cranks.

    So far I've added a Thomson seatpost, Hope stem, Hope M4 discs, CrankBros Mallets, a Romic D, Rockshox Pike 454 airs, SDG Bel air saddle, ODI grips, SRAM x9 rear mech, XT front mech, hope bulb/XC717 wheels and Panaracer Cinder tyres.

    With the Romic, I'm looking at 33-34lb (large), but by using the float I'm weighing in at 30lb.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    27

    ... and if we just ... I have an idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by epicjurneez
    I just purchased a '05 enduro. i'm thinking about how i can modify it into a real high-performer... have you any suggestions? what makes yours plusher, lighter, faster on the climbs, or faster on the downhill...

    feel free to list your specs and include a picture of your ride! i'm all ears!

    thanks.
    william
    How about you become a stronger rider? That'll make you faster uphill and dowhill. Or you can even work on your riding skills- that'll make your bike feel lighter and plusher. Just effin with ya!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    80

    ouch!)

    i guess i do sound like i'm knit-pickin' haha.

    i do have a heavier and lighter bike(s).

    i've got 94 steel stumpjumper, 01 ellsworth truth, and a 03 bighit(fav) i'm just curious on what i can do to play around with my setup... looks like i just won an ebay auction for a 7.875 fox coilover which will make the rear feel more like the bighit! i'm spoiled by the plushness of the bighit, wondering if i can get the weight down to a truth/stumpjumper.... who knows with all the creative setups out there!

    see ya out on the trails!

  5. #5
    jmf
    jmf is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    41
    I have an '05 comp 130. start with the wheel set and rubber.
    I swapped out the endro pro rubber for a pair of kenda nevegals and stans no-tubes.
    That and lighter wheel set will drop half the weight you can hope to lose.
    Running shimano clips for pedals and an XT crankset, my the bike weighs 28.5 pounds.
    Everything else is stock.

    good luck

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    80
    that sounds nice. what wheelset did you change to?

  7. #7
    jmf
    jmf is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    41
    custom,
    King iso disc hubs
    Bontager mustang offset rims (no longer in production)
    32 spokes, double butted 15/17 spokes
    alloy nipples.
    weight 1720 grams

    amazing wheel set, four years old, never out of true. Universal Cycles did the original build.
    I honestly swapped them out from my stumpjumper FSR 100.
    If I were to purchase a new set the mavic enduros look good. I think they run around $500 a pair and weigh around 2000g. But if you got the $$$, kings hubs and Stans free ride rims would be sweeeeet.

    good ridin'

  8. #8
    83 feet less per minute
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    731
    The happiest day on my '03 Enduro was when I put some custom wheels by Mike Garcia on them. Some WTB LL hubs, VXC rims and alloy nips. Weigh about 1580 grams. Solved the bikes brake problems and really made it handle better. The OE wheels are boat anchors IMHO. Eventually evertyhing but the frame was replaced. I also must ad that Pushing the Float R solved the bikes other problem of having to deal with Bob.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: quickneonrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    582
    I have an 03 S-works enduro {s} with 5th ele air 7.875x2.25, 05 fox van 130 rlc, crossmax enduro w/ 2.35 maxxis tubless hr's, avid juicy 7's 6" rotors, Raceface turbine LP's 2 ring and drilled out bash guard, heim chain guide, Cook bros candy sl pedals, xtr 8spd ti cassette, xt f/r derailers, thompson seat post, specialized rivial ti seat, salsa seat binder, specialized 75mm stem, easton ea-70 mid-rise bars,ck headset, gripshift 8spd attack shifters, odi rogue lock-on grips,

    27lbs

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    87
    Something tells me that my bike must have depleted Uranium stashed in the frame somewhere!

    The lightest my 2004 Enduro has ever been has been 29.4lb and that was with a lightweight Pace RC40 up front. That is despite the fact that I've retained the Fox Float, have switched to XC717 rims, Race Face Evolve cranks and SRAM running gear!

    I believe that the culprits must be the Panaracer Cinder tyres, which weigh 760 grams each. I've got Bontrager Jones summer tyres, which are significantly lighter and should offset the heavier Rockshox Pike Airs up front.

    Any advice on where else I could lose weight from?

  11. #11
    The Dude Abides
    Reputation: theeric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    297
    I got an 05 Enduro Comp as well. THe frame is a small. It's all stock, save the magnesium welgo platforms I had kicking around. Before I bought it the guy at the shop put it on their scale, and it was 30.1lbs. Almost 2lbs less than the dawg de-lux I was also looking at. I don't think I'll be investing major cash into making it much lighter...i like it how it is. I've taken it up some pretty steep, long climbs and it was great.

    Aslo, you guys who are running 7.875" shocks, does your bike perform much different than with the stock 7.625" float R? I know it's only a 1/8" difference, but still wondering.
    This aggression will not stand, man.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    80

    7.875 vs 7.625"

    so much for going the light route! i've gone with the recommendations of the vanilla 7.875" coil and it's a new bike again! a very cheap/excellent upgrade! super plush w/ never ending travel. i'm most likely going to add on my old '99 z1 qr20 zoki.

    in other words, i'm over the air thing... i've been disappointed with the performance of the front an rear shocks. no matter how much air i have in it, i still get a sense of squirley-ness as if i have a flat tire, and it's usually at speedy sketchy situations. maybe my rebounds to slow/fast? i've never had that problem with coil. the fron shock is WAY too noodly for my weight @ 200# and the bigger hits are rather harsh.

    oh well, now i'll have a light weight version of my 03 bighit comp... same rear shock, almost as much travel, a few pounds lighter. i was hoping for even lighter but my weight and style of riding constrains my options.
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    87
    I've had my shock rebuilt a few times (here in the UK Fox have had warranty issues with seals), but I'm not very happy with my rear shock right now. Every time I hit a bump it blows through all it's travel and squats down at the back, but I've got 220psi in the can!

    I've also got a Romic which I use for special occasions. The only problem I have with the Romic is it's weight... It adds 3.5 lb to the weight of the bike. In an ideal world I'd like a halfway house between the Romic and the Fox in terms of weight and performance. DHX Air?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    80

    3.5#?! yipes.

    3.5 #?! that's very heavy. i've got the romic d on my ellsworth truth and i did not know it weighed so much! if you switch to the dhx air, please let me know the performance. at this point, i have no faith in air shocks what so ever. i'm pleased with my vanilla r coil for now. it came stock on my 01 truth and 03 bighit comp and it seems i spent too much money for the romic for the performance improvement. the vanilla r's are a bit lighter than the romic but not by much. i appreciate the simplicity of them w/out the propedal.

    sorry about the rambling.
    cheers mate!
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by epicjurneez
    so much for going the light route! i've gone with the recommendations of the vanilla 7.875" coil and it's a new bike again! a very cheap/excellent upgrade! super plush w/ never ending travel. i'm most likely going to add on my old '99 z1 qr20 zoki.

    in other words, i'm over the air thing... i've been disappointed with the performance of the front an rear shocks. no matter how much air i have in it, i still get a sense of squirley-ness as if i have a flat tire, and it's usually at speedy sketchy situations. maybe my rebounds to slow/fast? i've never had that problem with coil. the fron shock is WAY too noodly for my weight @ 200# and the bigger hits are rather harsh.

    oh well, now i'll have a light weight version of my 03 bighit comp... same rear shock, almost as much travel, a few pounds lighter. i was hoping for even lighter but my weight and style of riding constrains my options.

    dude, could not have been better put...i have an '05 enduro 130 and am in the process of putting coils in for the fork and shock...just bought an '05 marzocchi 130..and just today the fox float shock went dead....so now i'm hunting for what you have

    a vanilla coil is the best bet? one guy had a romic, will any 7.875 shock work...do i really have to find a shock with 2 inch stoke...can i get more stroke?
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    217
    I have a 05 Enduro Elite Brain with Talas RL -fork and Brain-shock. For XC/Enduro that's perfect. For FR/DH I change to Boxxer-fork/Vanilla-shock (don't have the Vanilla yet).
    There's nothing wrong with good air shocks (IMO). I weight virtually nothing (141 lbs), and that plays a big role in the matter.
    I've driven actively throughout the winter (max -4 F) without problems.
    The RP3 is the only air shock model I've heard of to have systematic faults (a lot of stuck down problems).
    I bought the bike last year and I've never added pressure to my Float R-based Brain. It has always had 25 % sag and it uses its whole travel without bottoming out. Not a word of complaint from me.

    There's a lot that could be done to decrease the weight (31.5 lbs) from my bike:
    Mavic Crossmax Enduro SL wheelset, Thomson stem, Egg Beaters, Middleburn RS-8 Duo crankset, foldable NBX 2.3s, SRAM PG-990 cassette, Connex Wippermanchain, SLR seat. Total weight saving would be about 4-5 lbs.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    87
    That's interesting! A Boxxer with an Enduro 130???? Not sure that Spesh's warranty dept would be impressed with that one, haha! Oh well, if it holds up then I won't have any nightmares about using Pikes with mine.

    The issues that I've encountered with Fox Floats here are to do with a rogue batch of seals which seem to weaken quickly - however Mojo (UK Fox agents) have identified the problem and have fixed my shock under warranty.

    For 99.9% of the riding I've done the Float is more than adequate, but I still am having difficulty balancing the need for more pressure to offset the rear end wallow against having too much pressure to prevent full travel. I'd like it if the air shock was more plush, yet more reluctant to blow through it's stroke too easily.

    I can wholeheartedly recommend the Romic for general use, it feels almost bottomless and is very tuneable. However, those of you who like to pedal to the top before hammering down the hill might find the weight an issue - personally, I have to carry my bike down 3 floors before I can use it so weight is an issue for me.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    217
    Oh, I almost forgot: I have a pic of it:
    http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/332960073452/boxxu.jpg

    It looks unbelievably ugly in the pic, but it's actually quite impressive in nature.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by jeppe
    Oh, I almost forgot: I have a pic of it:
    http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/332960073452/boxxu.jpg

    It looks unbelievably ugly in the pic, but it's actually quite impressive in nature.
    nah, not fugly...nice ride...you like the spesh tires eh?
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

  20. #20
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,912
    Quote Originally Posted by jeppe
    Oh, I almost forgot: I have a pic of it:
    http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/332960073452/boxxu.jpg

    It looks unbelievably ugly in the pic, but it's actually quite impressive in nature.
    How do you stop that thing without a front brake?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    217
    Yeah, I think the Spesh tires are ok. Pretty light and the widest 2.2" tires I've ever seen. I like a high profile tire, and the Enduro 2.2 has a lot of air volume. I thought I'd buy a new set of Enduro 2.3:s (pretty cheap also), but currently I'm on Nokian NBX 2.3:s and pretty happy with them. It's true that the Enduro-tires are not the best rolling tires, but the traction is pretty good. Perhaps I'll try Nobby Nic 2.4:s next.
    A word of complaint I keep hearing about them: people say that the sides are so thin, that you get flats constantly. I've been running them with a pair of DH-tubes, and no flats. That eliminates the light weight advantage though. If I have even a little doubt that my tires can't take the beating there about to get, it slows me down. Because I can really trust them with the DH-tubes, I'm pretty fast when the terrain gets relly rought.

    The front brake was still missing when I took the pic, and I did ride the bike for a long time without it. Frends were really wondering how I could drive without the front brake in the winter, but I guess when you don't brake, you learn to drive.
    There was this one occasion though......a long staircase which ended up on a 5 ft wide pavement before the street. It was rush hour and cars were going non-stop. I rode down the staircase and noticed that the rear brake couldn't slow down the speed from accelerating (it was really slippery). The problem is, the cars can't se the staircase, except the one or two last stairs of it. Must have scared the **** out of some drivers when I bursted out of nowere and could barely stop the bike on the pavement. The rear brake threw the bike sideways on the slush and I came to a stop a few inches from the street.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    404

    Light Enduro

    Here's my '04 S-Works
    http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=642
    25.29 lbs. 'Nuff said.

    Here's a photo with a little bigger tires (Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4") and a new fork (Fox Float XTT).
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ike/enduro.jpg

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    Here's my '04 S-Works
    25.29 lbs. 'Nuff said.]
    Whoa!!!! That's a full FOUR pounds lighter than mine, even in it's lightest spec. Tell me that it's the nylon bottle bolts!?!?

    Here's the spec of my Spesh:

    2004 Enduro base model frame, painted not anodized size Large
    2006 Rock Shox Pike Air U-Turn
    Thomson Elite post
    SDG Bel Air chromo saddle
    Hope M4 discs, 8" front, 7" rear
    Hope Bulb hubs F&R
    Mavic XC717 36H
    Hope XC Stem 90mm
    Easton EA50 mid risers
    SRAM X7 shifters, XT front, X9 Rear
    SRAM PC89 chain
    SRAM PC89 cassette
    Race Face Evolve XC X-type cranks
    DMR V8 pedals
    Bontrager Jones 2.2 AC-X tyres (summer) Panaracer Cinder 2.25 (winter) tyres
    Fox Float R (XC) Romic D (Freeride)
    ODI Rogue grips

    The only things I can think of that might free up some weight are the bars (negligible) and the saddle (swap chromo for Ti rails - again negligible difference). I'm no weight weenie but my bike is at the stage where I'd have to throw a lot of money at it in order to lose a significant amount of lbs.

    Any ideas....?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    Here's my '04 S-Works
    http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=642
    25.29 lbs. 'Nuff said.

    Here's a photo with a little bigger tires (Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4") and a new fork (Fox Float XTT).
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ike/enduro.jpg
    A sub 27 lbs is my goal..... Man the stock Rival-saddle weights like it's made of gold..... 340 grams. I'll be one step closer to the goal when I buy an SLR, which will save more than half in weight. Mabye I'll need to give up brake power (8"/7" Hope Mono M4) to save some weight...
    A new wheelset will be the next big thing. Stock Suns are not that light.

    Your old 02 Enduro wasn't that heavy either.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by PJMatthes
    Whoa!!!! That's a full FOUR pounds lighter than mine, even in it's lightest spec. Tell me that it's the nylon bottle bolts!?!?

    Here's the spec of my Spesh:

    2004 Enduro base model frame, painted not anodized size Large
    2006 Rock Shox Pike Air U-Turn
    Thomson Elite post
    SDG Bel Air chromo saddle
    Hope M4 discs, 8" front, 7" rear
    Hope Bulb hubs F&R
    Mavic XC717 36H
    Hope XC Stem 90mm
    Easton EA50 mid risers
    SRAM X7 shifters, XT front, X9 Rear
    SRAM PC89 chain
    SRAM PC89 cassette
    Race Face Evolve XC X-type cranks
    DMR V8 pedals
    Bontrager Jones 2.2 AC-X tyres (summer) Panaracer Cinder 2.25 (winter) tyres
    Fox Float R (XC) Romic D (Freeride)
    ODI Rogue grips

    The only things I can think of that might free up some weight are the bars (negligible) and the saddle (swap chromo for Ti rails - again negligible difference). I'm no weight weenie but my bike is at the stage where I'd have to throw a lot of money at it in order to lose a significant amount of lbs.

    Any ideas....?
    To really lose some weight you'd better get rid of the Pike!
    Swapping the ODI-grips for some simple foam grips saves you around 100g.
    The platform pedals are probably >500g?. There are lighter alternatives such as the NC-17 MG platform pedal 386g.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    404

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Quote Originally Posted by jeppe
    Your old 02 Enduro wasn't that heavy either.
    Nope, actually it was lighter than my current Enduro for it didn't have the heavy Brain reservoir and the 02 frame was lighter than 03 and 04 (but also broke easier).
    http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=276

    Here's one lighter than either of mine:
    http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=519
    Could be about 1 lbs lighter if lighter, skinnier tires would be used.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by PJMatthes
    I can wholeheartedly recommend the Romic for general use, it feels almost bottomless and is very tuneable. However, those of you who like to pedal to the top before hammering down the hill might find the weight an issue - personally, I have to carry my bike down 3 floors before I can use it so weight is an issue for me.

    what size rating romic did you get for your enduro? was it custom sized at the factory for you?
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    80

    go coil!

    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    dude, could not have been better put...i have an '05 enduro 130 and am in the process of putting coils in for the fork and shock...just bought an '05 marzocchi 130..and just today the fox float shock went dead....so now i'm hunting for what you have

    a vanilla coil is the best bet? one guy had a romic, will any 7.875 shock work...do i really have to find a shock with 2 inch stoke...can i get more stroke?

    yeah man. i thought i posted a reply a while ago on this quote but it's not showing.

    have you checked ebay? there's a guy in santa cruz, ca whose selling a bunch of the same vanilla r's with choices of coils. they do not have pro pedal, but the fsr design doesn't beg for it either. i'm more than happy with the shock (7.875" x 2.25") on my enduro and big hit!

    for coil springrate, i weigh in ~ 200# with gear. i chose the 500# spring which is almost too light. i probably need 550# or 600# springrate coil. btw the added i2i and stroke gives the enduro 5.9" of travel! nice increase. feels almost like my bighit (6.3").

    good luck on getting the coil suspension!
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by epicjurneez
    yeah man. i thought i posted a reply a while ago on this quote but it's not showing.

    have you checked ebay? there's a guy in santa cruz, ca whose selling a bunch of the same vanilla r's with choices of coils. they do not have pro pedal, but the fsr design doesn't beg for it either. i'm more than happy with the shock (7.875" x 2.25") on my enduro and big hit!

    for coil springrate, i weigh in ~ 200# with gear. i chose the 500# spring which is almost too light. i probably need 550# or 600# springrate coil. btw the added i2i and stroke gives the enduro 5.9" of travel! nice increase. feels almost like my bighit (6.3").

    good luck on getting the coil suspension!
    thanks for replying, it will take a while to find the right shock...but i'll have the front converted to marz z1 with 20mm this weekend...the ****e fox float will come back from fox next week...i'll beat the hell out of it again, maybe blow it up for good
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by epicjurneez
    they do not have pro pedal, but the fsr design doesn't beg for it either.
    I always thought the biggest problem with FSR was the bobbing when pedaling from the seat and the Brain is used to fix this. So I would say the FSR does beg for Pro-Pedal, SPV, etc.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    87
    The Romic I've got fitted came secondhand from a friend who had it on his 2002 Enduro.

    In the UK you can get an Enduro-specific Romic, which is the correct eye to eye length (AFAIK) and is custom valved to match the characteristics of the frame. The Romic D seems to require a stiffer spring than most shocks, mine being 550Ib, which is pushing the limit for a 175lb rider. I really should be using 600/650lb, but I don't ever find bottoming out an issue.

    It retails here for £250 which is £100 less than a DHX air.

  32. #32
    jurriaan
    Guest
    I really like this Bike.
    http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=642

    Some day my Enduro will weigt just a little less than Kai's Enduro I hope

    Till that it's about 12,5kg (27,5lbs)


    http://home.hetnet.nl/~jurriaan.vis/fotos/lijst.png

    Before I tuned my enduro it wash 15,2kg (33,5lbs)

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by jeppe
    I always thought the biggest problem with FSR was the bobbing when pedaling from the seat and the Brain is used to fix this. So I would say the FSR does beg for Pro-Pedal, SPV, etc.

    hey there.

    i thought about what you say here, and of course, i've read what you said in the spesh brochures... i won't argue with you on this but i'll tell you what i've found from trial and error. i've realized that the fsr and ellsworth ict linkages are really an amazing design. as handy the platform damping shock systems are, i've noticed that they're really only necessary when you're in an all-out out-of-the-saddle sprint( you need more of a lock out here), or pedaling technique is poor. i'm always astonished how efficiently my horst link bikes pedal forth even if my pedaling tech is poor(especially when the trail's a few miles longer than the stamina).

    when i'm pedaling poorly, i'm most likely pedaling each stroke with added body momentum, but when i'm isolate my pedal strokes to thrust from my legs only, the suspension/spring movement disappears.... totally. i've run the romic coil on my ellsworth truth and the platform effect was noticable from the previous vanilla r, but the noticability was not worth 360$.

    i've been behind other popular designs like sc superlight(singlepivot) w/ experienced rider aboard - as soon as they start pedaling, i always see the slight movement in the spring/susp...

    anyhow, i'm sure that brain system is awesome, and even the septune, but even with my propedal-less setup, if i can somewhat discipline my pedal strokes, i'm movin forward pretty smoothly... even more smoothly on my coil sprung enduro130+20!

    see ya bomb'n the trails! i like the look of that boxxer!
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by PJMatthes
    Mine 04 Enduro has been extensively modified to a point where the only original parts are the frame, headset and cranks.

    So far I've added a Thomson seatpost, Hope stem, Hope M4 discs, CrankBros Mallets, a Romic D, Rockshox Pike 454 airs, SDG Bel air saddle, ODI grips, SRAM x9 rear mech, XT front mech, hope bulb/XC717 wheels and Panaracer Cinder tyres.

    With the Romic, I'm looking at 33-34lb (large), but by using the float I'm weighing in at 30lb.
    What does your frame weigh with the float ??

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by epicjurneez
    i thought about what you say here, and of course, i've read what you said in the spesh brochures... i won't argue with you on this but i'll tell you what i've found from trial and error. i've realized that the fsr and ellsworth ict linkages are really an amazing design. as handy the platform damping shock systems are, i've noticed that they're really only necessary when you're in an all-out out-of-the-saddle sprint( you need more of a lock out here), or pedaling technique is poor. i'm always astonished how efficiently my horst link bikes pedal forth even if my pedaling tech is poor(especially when the trail's a few miles longer than the stamina).
    I have the M-size Enduro (02-04 -frame) with Brain and my friend has a M-size 02-Enduro with a Float without PP. He complains that it's heavy to pedal and by brief testdrives I totally agree. We both have a rather aggressive drivestyle.
    I agree with you that the platform damping is really neccessary when sprinting out of the saddle. That's when I can really smile and be glad I chose the Brain.

    when i'm pedaling poorly, i'm most likely pedaling each stroke with added body momentum, but when i'm isolate my pedal strokes to thrust from my legs only, the suspension/spring movement disappears.... totally. i've run the romic coil on my ellsworth truth and the platform effect was noticable from the previous vanilla r, but the noticability was not worth 360$.
    Technique is truely a big issue. Mine is not so bad and still I can feel a big difference between our bikes. Fatigue is also a big issue; after 4-5 h of riding, you might not pedal with such a good technique anymore and if the bike gets heavy at this point, you'll end up getting nowhere with it.
    With a smooth torgue (good technique) almost all rear-suspension-systems are really good. The shock might compress/extend, but minimal bobbing.

    i've been behind other popular designs like sc superlight(singlepivot) w/ experienced rider aboard - as soon as they start pedaling, i always see the slight movement in the spring/susp...
    Same here. It's noticeable also in FSR without PP.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by jeppe
    A sub 27 lbs is my goal..... Man the stock Rival-saddle weights like it's made of gold..... 340 grams. I'll be one step closer to the goal when I buy an SLR, which will save more than half in weight. Mabye I'll need to give up brake power (8"/7" Hope Mono M4) to save some weight...
    A new wheelset will be the next big thing. Stock Suns are not that light.
    Let's resurface this topic...

    First, a correction. The stock Sun Ringle SOS Enduro rims were pretty light after all. 500 g / rim. But the hubs were pretty heavy, so the weight of the wheelset was pretty high.
    I changed them to Mavic XM321 Disc/DT Champion/SunRace JuJu MZ-hubs. This wheelset should be a little lighter than the original, but it should also be a lot stronger, since the rim weights 550 g.
    I got rid of the saddle (-> SDG Ti-Fly) and switched the cassette to SRAM PG-990. Don't know the exact weight at the moment, but it should be around 13 kg (28,6 lbs) now. I started from 32.6 lbs and I haven't sacraficed strenght anywhere. Still could lose 1-2 lbs without having to sacrafice strenght (or brake power).

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    404

    ... and if we just ... Under 25lbs! :-)

    I just slipped the weight of my Enduro under 25lbs! It's now 24.99lbs - accomplished with the little help of KMC X9 SL chain and Extralite UltraClamp seatpost clamp. When the new '07 XTR crankset comes available, I'll get that and drop the weight some 100g further...

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    I just slipped the weight of my Enduro under 25lbs! It's now 24.99lbs - accomplished with the little help of KMC X9 SL chain and Extralite UltraClamp seatpost clamp. When the new '07 XTR crankset comes available, I'll get that and drop the weight some 100g further...
    To me, an Enduro should not go much under 30lbs (because of its intended use, the parts will be heavier than XC stuff), otherwise just get a Stumpy.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    217
    Depends... if you can build it to be strong enough, why not. I'm past 30 lbs and I've only changed parts for stronger...lighter and stronger. You can do 25 lbs without actually sacraficing strenght. This will cost though: Chris King, Mavic, Thomson, top-of-the-line Shimano and SRAM, Fox, Hope etc.

    EDIT: Just calculated the price for sub 25 lbs Enduro. It's a little under 5000 € ($ 6250) with components bought separately. There are a lot of easy-to-aquire components, that you can get from a single shop with nice discount. I'd estimate that by ordering these parts from as few shops as possible, one can get a sub 25:er with 4000 € ($ 5000). Pretty close to the price of the complete S-Works model. How much did it (04 S-W) weight?
    Last edited by jeppe; 07-18-2006 at 03:54 PM.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    404

    Mine is about 1kg lighter ;-)

    I remember MBA measured the weight of the 04 S-Works Enduro (medium) as 27.2 lbs (12,3kg). Don't know if that's with or without pedals though...

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    404

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    To me, an Enduro should not go much under 30lbs (because of its intended use, the parts will be heavier than XC stuff), otherwise just get a Stumpy.
    Please remember that we are talking about 02-05 "old style" Enduro with 130mm travel here, not the current heavy-a$$ freeride machine. The 02 Enduro frame weighs about the same or even less as 03 Epic frame so it's not that burly at all.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    I remember MBA measured the weight of the 04 S-Works Enduro (medium) as 27.2 lbs (12,3kg). Don't know if that's with or without pedals though...

    Yeah, I just realized that I have an MBA August 2005 issue with the 05 S-Works on it. The article mentions the weight of the old S-Works (27.2 lbs). Just didn't remember that I actually had the issue.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6
    This is the parts list of a '04 enduro pro I put together myself:
    Manitou Sherman Firefly Fork ( im looking now to change it out. to big)
    Chris King headset
    Thompson elit stem
    Answer protaper os carbon fiber handelbar
    Sram X0 pod shifters
    Hayes el camino 8 in discs
    Shimano xt front derailleur
    Shimano xt cranks
    Easton carbon fiber seat post
    WTB rocket v saddle
    Sram pg-99 hallow pin chain
    Sram pc-990 cassette
    Sram X0 rear derailleur
    Mavic crossmaxx enduro wheels
    Kenda nevegal tubless tires
    Fox float r rear shock w/ itch switch

    That for the most part sums up whats on my bike. I dont know the weight of it but its light enough for me. The only thing that im going to change on it is the front fork. Im think either the Fox talas rlc or the new Rock Shox revalation with u-turn. Im not sure the one im going to go with yet. Any ideas?

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    217
    Talas RLC is perfect for the Enduro. Light, stiff and it works amazingly well. Good and easy adjustments (low speed compression and rebound damping, positive air, travel, and lockout with threshold - all external adjustments).

  45. #45
    jurriaan
    Guest
    Absolutly the Revalation, I have one in my enduro ands it's a great fork better than the Pike I have in mine enduro because the Pike has to heavy and to big.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    87
    Am I right in guessing that later Enduro 130 frames are heavier than their earlier incarnations?

    I ask because my 2004 bike (as then built up with a Pace RC40, XC717 rims on Hope hubs and SRAM gears) seemed to be significantly heavier than my friend's 2002 Enduro Expert with a Manitou Black and standard LX/XT running gear, despite the fact that both bikes are the same size.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •