mtbr member
    May 2004

Lightest 30.9 seatpost?

I'm looking for the lightest possible 30.9 seatpost for my wife's bike. She currently has a Ritchey Comp, cut down a bit that weighs about 230 grams- not too bad really.

Many of the lighter models have the clamp directly above the shaft.

We're looking for a model with a bit of setback, i.e. the standard style with the seat clamp set slightly back from being in line with the top of the shaft. So Extralite, standard Thomsons, a Syncros carbon like mine are not in the running.

The lightest 30.9 post that meets our requirements is the Easton carbon (EC70?). It has a single bolt seat clamp which I am not too fond of, but I am leaning toward that one. They list it at about 200 grams, so cut down to the length she needs it would probably be about 180.

Any other options we should be looking at?

mtbr member
    Thomson offers a "layback" post. In my opinion they are the strongest/lightest post made.

Complete Bastard
    The easton would be the one, it's about 50g lighter than the thomson. The one in my toolbox weighs 208g with 1cm cut off of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    thomson "masterpiece" layback is pretty damm light, and they have a 30.9 now

Just passing through....
    Ive been using the EC-70 on my XL Epic (I'm 6' 3") and mine weighs 202 with a little cut off. Your estimate on your wifes will probably be correct.

BTW: No problems at all with the clamp in 2 years. It seems to work great.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the replies folks.

Barring some unforeseen infusion of cash that would enable me to rationalize $140 for the Thomson Masterpiece, I think we will wind up with either the Easton or perhaps a Maxm cut down a bit.

ballbuster

especially...

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Thanks for the replies folks.

Barring some unforeseen infusion of cash that would enable me to rationalize $140 for the Thomson Masterpiece, I think we will wind up with either the Easton or perhaps a Maxm cut down a bit.
    ... considering you are talking about loosing 22 grams for that kinda dough.

I'm assuming you did all the other obvious weight weenie stuff too like:

light tires
    remove the rim strips and use 3m strapping tape, saves 20 grams per wheel for almost nothing
    light innertubes, saves 50g per wheel for $6
    Titec Pork Rinds foam grips or bar tape instead of rubber grips
    Alu bolts in non-critical locations like brake levers and shifter clamps, as well as others (you can loose 100g here easy for $20-30!)
    bolt-on skewers
    remove brake bosses if you use disc brakes. They just unscrew.

... and the list goes on. Check out the loose some weight forum. Lots of good info there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thank you Mr. Bot!

Actually I have completed most of the weight weenie moves you suggest. You are correct that unless I can find a suitable post that weighs around 180 grams, it is not worth upgrading. Maxm makes one that is 220 grams that I've seen for around $70, in a 400mm length, way longer than she needs, so I could cut it down, but it still pretty spendy to save an ounce or two. I'm keeping my eye out for an Easton EC70, but they go for quite a bit, even used.

The bike is a men's small 2004 FSR Expert set up as follows:

Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 brakes with Goodridge lines and Dangerboy levers (not the lightest, I know, but reliable, bomber and easy to adjust without shims- key for me being new to discs) XTR rotors

Wheels: Stans ZTR Olympic, DT Swiss 240s Centerlock. Packing tape rim strips. Bolt-on skewers.

Tires: WTB Mutano Race 2.4 front, Moto 2.24 rear. Tried a Michelin Comp S Lite rear, it lasted one ride on tire shredding Central Oregon lava. Back to the Moto. Still running tubes, even w/Stans rims because WTB tires alledgedly do not work well tubeless. Also I am a newby to Stans. We both like the Mutano very much and do not want to switch.

Crankset: Truvativ Stylo Team 170mm, Gigapipe TI BB.

Pedals: Shimano 959. I know there are lighter pedals out there, but she likes SPDs and ability to adjust tension down pretty low.

Derailleurs: XTR rear, LX front. Tried putting an XTR 952 front on but the inner plate interfered with the lower chainstay pivot. Back to the LX.

Shifters: XT

Bars& stem: LP Composites riser 1.75", Thomson 90x15. The Thomson is overkill for her weight (~115) and riding style, but we are trying to replicate the rise she had on her old bike. If someone knows of lighter stem in this configuation, I am all ears. Porkrind grips.

Saddle: Stock Specialized Body Geometry. Tried a couple others, including WTB She Ti, but she fits men's saddles better, skinny hips. I'm currently looking into lighter but still well padded alternatives. Definitely room for weight savings here.

So I'm pretty much down to the saddle and seatpost for additional weight savings. I haven't messed with aluminum bolts yet, not sure where to find out what sizes I need. But this is also a potential area to lose a few ounces.

Tribe Member
    Just got a Syncros carbon 30.9 seatpost off of ebay from Gerardbikes for 37 bucks shipped. It is light at 215 at 350mm lenght...cutting it down will save some weight.

Rich
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    Just got a Syncros carbon 30.9 seatpost off of ebay from Gerardbikes for 37 bucks shipped. It is light at 215 at 350mm lenght...cutting it down will save some weight.

Rich
    Yes that is a great deal, it's the post I run on my bike. I got it about a year ago from the same seller and I've been very happy with it.

I'd get another one for my wife, except for the fact that it doesn't have any setback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

how much does your wife's bike weigh?

Hi Riverrat,

A whole lot of work and devotion went into lightening your wife's bike. How heavy does it weight in total?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by grnhrnt
    Hi Riverrat,

A whole lot of work and devotion went into lightening your wife's bike. How heavy does it weight in total?
    I don't have a real accurate scale, but I think around 26.5 - 27 pounds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Pedals: Shimano 959. I know there are lighter pedals out there, but she likes SPDs and ability to adjust tension down pretty low.
    Then I suggest you for the relatively new Ritchey V4 SPD pedals, around 280g (mine are 272g), saves around 65g.

TranceX Rider
    I'd vouch for my Thomson Masterpiece SP M106 SB 30.9 x 350mm for only 189grams... Light, strong & elegant, IMHO.

Only just me though, folks.