Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Lifetime frame warranty does not cover rear triangle?

My 2006 SX Trail chainstay finally broke, in the same location as every other 2006 SX Trail. (See here, here, or here for other examples). It actually hit the ground and pole-vaulted the rear end up, but I thankfully I rode it out thinking I had just somehow not noticed a ridiculously large rock in the trail. I pulled over because it was twisted back against my disc brake, making a terrible screeching noise and scoring the rotor in the process.

As it turns out, the Specialized Lifetime Frame Warranty doesn't actually cover the rear half of the frame, nor any of the suspension attachment points on the frame.

Specialized warrants to the original owner for the lifetime of the original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that the bicycle frame or frameset when new is free of defective materials and workmanship. The lifetime Limited Warranty is conditioned upon the bicycle being operated under normal conditions and use, and properly maintained. This Limited Warranty does not apply to paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle/frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seat post, handlebar and stem, or any suspension related parts or components. Paint/finish, components attached to the bicycle/frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seat post, handlebar and stem, or any suspension related parts or components are covered under the limited one (1) year warranty. This Limited Warranty is void if the bicycle or frameset was not purchased new or not properly assembled by an authorized Specialized dealer.
    Apparently, the chain stays and seat stays are covered under the 1 year limited warranty and therefore not considered part of the frameset. As such, no warranty help for me. Seems like a huge stretch to me to exclude half of the frame from the lifetime frame warranty.

At the moment, I'm a bit embarrassed to have bought into the lifetime frame warranty line and having paid for two brand new Specialized bikes.

So just what does my lifetime warranty cover now that my 1 year warranty is up?

mtbr member
    That sucks balz
    I was "lucky" my rear triangle on 08 Pitch failed 3 days away from 1 year since ive owned it. Spec did replace it, but now rear triangle is black and frame is yellow...
    lifetime shmifetime......
    It sounds good when the salesman mentions lifetime warr, but they never get into details.
    See if they give you a break on a new rear triangle and then sell the dam thing

Compelling, and rich.
    You would have been out of luck with most other manufacturers as well.

You should be able to get a replacement frame or rear stay/triangle for cheap through the crash replacement program.

Trying not to kill myself
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG
    Yep, Gary Fisher was one of the few large brands that offered a lifetime warranty on the entire frame (insert joke about all the broken frames here), but that went away when Trek fully assimilated them for 2011. I believe the Trek warranty on rear triangles is two years.

Waiting for peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom S
    My 2006 SX Trail chainstay finally broke, in the same location as every other 2006 SX Trail. (See here, here, or here for other examples). It actually hit the ground and pole-vaulted the rear end up, but I thankfully I rode it out thinking I had just somehow not noticed a ridiculously large rock in the trail. I pulled over because it was twisted back against my disc brake, making a terrible screeching noise and scoring the rotor in the process.

As it turns out, the Specialized Lifetime Frame Warranty doesn't actually cover the rear half of the frame, nor any of the suspension attachment points on the frame.

Apparently, the chain stays and seat stays are covered under the 1 year limited warranty and therefore not considered part of the frameset. As such, no warranty help for me. Seems like a huge stretch to me to exclude half of the frame from the lifetime frame warranty.

At the moment, I'm a bit embarrassed to have bought into the lifetime frame warranty line and having paid for two brand new Specialized bikes.

So just what does my lifetime warranty cover now that my 1 year warranty is up?

Answer: It covers manufacturing defects in the front triangle..... if EVER it breaks not due to a fall, car accident, driving into your garage with it on your roof-top bike rack and any other kind of ab/normal abuse AND you have the receipt for it.... it should be warranteeeedd... but this is not a definitive list, nor does it specifically apply to countries outside of the continental USA who may or may not have their own warranty periods..... or just read the rest of the literature that comes with every bike made by Specialized for the details..... That's it.

mtbr member
    Well, maybe I'm missing something in the warranty description, but I don't see where the rear triangle is excluded. And since the brake is at a weld, I would try and get it fixed.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG

You should be able to get a replacement frame or rear stay/triangle for cheap through the crash replacement program.
    Trek will replace your rear-triangle if it fails.

mtbr member
    LIMITED ONE (1) YEAR WARRANTY ON SUSPENSION ATTACHMENTS AND SUSPENSION RELATED EQUIPMENT
    Specialized warrants to the original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that the suspension attachment points, and suspension related equipment (including pivot points, bushings, shock units, front suspension forks, chain stays and seat stays, shock links, fasteners) when new are free of defective materials or workmanship.

Trek rear seat/chain stays: 2 years.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would think most people know this.
    At least the ones with half a brain that check all aspects of a bike before purchasing.
    I bought my Epic in full knowledge of the Spec warranty.
    LS

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lickety Split
    At least the ones with half a brain that check all aspects of a bike before purchasing.
    LS
    No. Not most, more like only a few! The LBS knows it but they don't tell you. All they talk about is the Lifetime Warranty on the frame and one year on the components! I became aware of this recently because a friend broke his S-Work bike, and told me about Specialized Faux Lifetime Warranty on the frame. The rear triangle isn't a frame!

Haha, they don't even give you the manual until you buy the bike. And even if I decided to look over the legal terms, I wouldn't have a clue of a bike's anatomy. If you asked me two months ago what a chainstay, seatstay, or saddle, I would have been lost. Tha's the same with the average owner. Most people don't even work on their own bike, why do they care to know.

Don't feel bad, I got sucked too. My wife and I bought new bikes two months ago instead of going used because of the Faux Lifetime Warranty! If I knew earlier, I would have bought a bike thru REI instead. REI has a 100% satisfaction guaranteed and I have seen the **** they take back. Shoes worn to the sole! Really? Shirts that got faded! WTF! (These are the stuff I see at their used gear sale!)

The only REAL Lifetime Warranty I trust will be tools!

Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Trek will replace your rear-triangle if it fails.
    Maybe in the past they would, but the current lifetime frame warranty does not apply to swing arms on full suspension bikes:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/suppo...ited_warranty/

mtbr member
    Maybe Specialized ought to rename the seat stays and chain stays to upper bars and lower bars (or something like that) to better clarify that they are parts of the 4-bar suspension system and not frame components like seat stays and chain stays are traditionally considered?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe23
    Maybe in the past they would, but the current lifetime frame warranty does not apply to swing arms on full suspension bikes:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/suppo...ited_warranty/
    Boy that says a lot about the faith specialized have in their products now.

I know people who have gotten the replaced, but perhaps that was because they were older frames. So remember to check the warranty which came with your bicycle, not the revised one on specialized website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would bring the bike in to the LBS you got it from and see what they can do.
    A friend of mine had his rear triangle break on his '08 Enduro a few months ago and got it fixed for free. Spesh sent a new one to the LBS and they put it on from frame.
    '08 Stumpy
    '10 Enduro
    '11 Transition TR250

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What happens if they discontinue your rear triangle, are you sol?

Are there any companys out there that still warranty their rear triangle?

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Lickety Split
    LS
    You'd be wrong, I have seen a lot of broken chainstays... two the season amongst a group... I always thought specialized or trek took care of them properly - silly me.

I should ask what happened.

FKA Malibu412
    @ electrik -- the warranty info in your quote is the Trek warranty, not Speshy. Let's try to keep the misinformation straight. BTW, my printed warranty and the warranty info on Speshy's site are the same. I knew both before I bought the bike.

@ cbatenga -- Wouldn't you still be SOL with a lifetime warranty once they discontinue building or stocking frame parts? All the lifetime warranty means is they will replace it with something current that is comparable or sometimes better. And yes, replacing a rear triangle on an out-of-production frame may mean buying an entire updated frame with a crash replacement discount or going with another brand at whatever market price is in effect.

@ ash -- he already did that. He described it in another post in this forum.

Way I see it, the bikes we ride are designed for extreme use and some people use them for that intended purpose in varying degrees over varying time frames. It doesn't mean they are bullet proof and will not break under their intended use. If the broken part is replaced free under warranty, bonus. If not, buy what you need to keep riding or walk away.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by cbatenga
    What happens if they discontinue your rear triangle, are you sol?

Are there any companys out there that still warranty their rear triangle?
    Yeah, you are SOL. It happens, there was a post about it a while back - they got into a huge fight and the lawyers almost came out until a deal was reached.

I would look at places like niner, santacruz... read their warranty.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    @ electrik -- the warranty info in your quote is the Trek warranty, not Speshy. Let's try to keep the misinformation straight. BTW, my printed warranty and the warranty info on Speshy's site are the same. I knew both before I bought the bike.

Way I see it, the bikes we ride are designed for extreme use and some people use them for that intended purpose in varying degrees over varying time frames. It doesn't mean they are bullet proof and will not break under their intended use. If the broken part is replaced free under warranty, bonus. If not, buy what you need to keep riding or walk away.
    Which warranty am i quoting? Can you please use the reply with quote feature.. it will help to keep things straight. I'm glad you read both warranties before you bought the bicycle...?

The way I see it, the bicycle should be engineered for it's use and the warranty will reflect the confidence in the engineer's fatigue specifications. If the company looks at the engineers report and says, ok, this bicycle fails on average x years after purchase, we can't afford to cover that part then I think the engineer should go back and redesign the part so it doesn't fail so quickly. There is little guessing in that game, engineering is a science... instead what the corporation does is to take frame components, yes i consider the back of the bicycle part of the frame, and say they're only confident it will last one year... well... geeze, that is a pretty short supported lifespan. Good money in fixing those rear-triangles though.

I would look at places like niner, santacruz... read their warranty.
    Those two only have a 2 year warranty. Here's a recent thread that has some, but it's mainly the smaller companies that still do a lifetime on the frame:

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/who-has-lifetime-warranty-642654.html#post7212720

mtbr member
    Even the guys in the bike shop were surprised when the part wasn't covered under the lifetime frame warranty. Apparently Specialized was a bit more generous with the lifetime frame warranty in the past, as two people I've heard from now received chainstay replacements after the 1 year warranty period in the past. After all, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't consider the chainstays and seatstays to be part of the frame.

The replacement part wasn't too expensive. I'm mostly just disappointed that the lifetime frame warranty doesn't actually cover any part of the frame that is likely to break. Even the 'suspension mounting points' are specifically excluded from the warranty, which leaves just a few welds and tubing pieces covered?

FKA Malibu412
    Which warranty am i quoting? Can you please use the reply with quote feature.. it will help to keep things straight.
    Perhaps I should have been more clear. I didn't mean to imply you quoted any or all of a manufacturer's warranty. In #13, you posted gabe23's #11 as a quote. In that, he linked the Trek warranty info. You followed that up with, and I quote, "Boy that says a lot about the faith specialized have in their products now." (Bold added for clarity)

I'm glad you read both warranties before you bought the bicycle...?
    Yes...? Is this hard to understand or is it unusual...?

The way I see it, the bicycle should be engineered for it's use and the warranty will reflect the confidence in the engineer's fatigue specifications. If the company looks at the engineers report and says, ok, this bicycle fails on average x years after purchase, we can't afford to cover that part then I think the engineer should go back and redesign the part so it doesn't fail so quickly. There is little guessing in that game, engineering is a science... instead what the corporation does is to take frame components, yes i consider the back of the bicycle part of the frame, and say they're only confident it will last one year... well... geeze, that is a pretty short supported lifespan. Good money in fixing those rear-triangles though.
    As long as riding conditions (read: trails) become more extreme and fast, riding styles follow suit, and more people of various weights and abilities enter the sport striving to be DHers on their 4"-6" bikes, how do you propose bike companies stay ahead of the curve and keep the prices from going stratosphere without building something akin to moto-xers with pedals?
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

the test dummy
    they say they wont warranty it, but there is a guy i have ridden with who snapped his and they told him they were sending him a new rear end ended up sending him a new frame. its really all about the shop you go to... if its one with a lot of pull you will have better luck
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Perhaps I should have been more clear. I didn't mean to imply you quoted any or all of a manufacturer's warranty. In #13, you posted gabe23's #11 as a quote. In that, he linked the Trek warranty info. You followed that up with, and I quote, "Boy that says a lot about the faith specialized have in their products now." (Bold added for clarity)

As long as riding conditions (read: trails) become more extreme and fast, riding styles follow suit, and more people of various weights and abilities enter the sport striving to be DHers on their 4"-6" bikes, how do you propose bike companies stay ahead of the curve and keep the prices from going stratosphere without building something akin to moto-xers with pedals?
    Yes, it certainly does say something about specialized because their warranty for those parts is only half as long as trek's.

Well, lets add in the price of the rear-triangle you'll have to buy after year 2 to the original msrp, then the services to install it, then the time you spend sitting without riding... I'm not sure how much more money it is to make better chain-stays but, the fact that the failure rate is predicted to be so high on the chainstays that they refuse to cover it under warranty is very telling. We should also note that this warranty is not for DH bikes alone instead specialized refuses to warranty after one year everything that has rear-suspension failures...

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom S
    Even the guys in the bike shop were surprised when the part wasn't covered under the lifetime frame warranty. Apparently Specialized was a bit more generous with the lifetime frame warranty in the past, as two people I've heard from now received chainstay replacements after the 1 year warranty period in the past. After all, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't consider the chainstays and seatstays to be part of the frame.

The replacement part wasn't too expensive. I'm mostly just disappointed that the lifetime frame warranty doesn't actually cover any part of the frame that is likely to break. Even the 'suspension mounting points' are specifically excluded from the warranty, which leaves just a few welds and tubing pieces covered?
    Essentially it is basically a useless warranty. Anything that is likely to fail is not going to be covered... why pay more for specialized at that point. They are living off the misconception that the new warranty and replacement programs were as good as the old ones. Eventually this will catch up with the brand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast