Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Life Expectancy...

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  kingbozo 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2003 FSR Enduro (used of course).

I took it out on its first run today and it was great. It seems as though the derailers need to be readjusted but other than that Im satisfied.

ive been browsing these forums the past couple days and Im noticing alot of people who upgrade their bikes after a couple of years.

Im curious what is the average life span of a good specialized bike, and what are some things I might want to take a look at on this one? Im not sure how well maintained the bike was by the previous owner.

Thanks

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums :)

I had a 2002 Enduro that I bought the year it was released. I rode it frequently for a year but then it sat unridden for a year while I was at a military school. Then, in the summer of 2004, I rode it hard all the way until the spring of 2006, when I noticed a crack in the frame just above the rear shock. Sooo if you go by me, about 3 or 4 years.

Specialized will warranty cracked frames, but their policy is only if you buy them new. I bought my Specialized in it's first year of service, but it was a used bike. Specialized warrantied me a new 2004 enduro pro frame anyways. I say ride the bike hard, enjoy it and if it ends up cracking on you, go for the warranty. It can't hurt!

As far as things to look at, just give the bike a scan. Make sure bolts are tight, feel around for any clunking/looseness in the headset or around the rear suspension, ensure the wheels are true, check wear on the chain/cassette/chainrings and possibly buy some new cables. Oh, and post a picture so we can see the bike, of course :)

#3 ·
TheSubaruJunkie said:
I just purchased a 2003 FSR Enduro (used of course).

I took it out on its first run today and it was great. It seems as though the derailers need to be readjusted but other than that Im satisfied.

ive been browsing these forums the past couple days and Im noticing alot of people who upgrade their bikes after a couple of years.

Im curious what is the average life span of a good specialized bike, and what are some things I might want to take a look at on this one? Im not sure how well maintained the bike was by the previous owner.

Thanks
My 03 is still going strong-
3rd fork-
3rd cassette chain
2nd crank set
cleaned and repacked all bearings just this year

#5 ·
Thanks guys for the replies.

I gave the bike a quick glanse when I bought it, looking for fatigue or cracks and the frame looks to be in real good condition. Im hoping, for the money I spent (even though I got a pretty good deal) it will last a few years.

Pictures??? Ask and ye shall recieve! :)

And plenty more pictures here: https://photos.bydemons.com/v/toys/fsr/

-Brian

#6 ·
You've actually got an older Enduro. The 2003's use a monocoque frame such as this: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2003&spid=20944

I could be wrong, but I think you have a 2000. Still a great bike though, and it looks great! If the person who sold it to you said it was a 2003, I'd consider getting back into contact with him/her. Perhaps you can get some money back on the deal considering it is an older bike and you were misled into thinking otherwise.

#7 ·
#10 ·
With this being the case, you are three frame's back in the Enduro line from their current model. If something were to happen to that frame (and you somehow did grab a warranty), you would still probably end up paying some money due to incompatibility between suspension etc.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the bike? It is still a good bike and if you got a good deal on it, then I'd be satisfied, especially if you end up getting anything back due to the sellers misleading information.

#11 ·
I paid $800. There was a 2000 listed on craigslist for $500 but it was bone stock. I chose this one cause it had the adjustable rear link, Manitou Elite front forks and F&R disk brakes. Also cause it was "3 years newer".

I doubt the previous owner will refund any money. It was still a pretty good deal in my eyes, and when I bought it the guy was firm on his price. Im sure he was asking $800 for the bike cause of all the work he had done to it, not cause it was a 2003.

#13 ·
I honestly like this frame design the best. Just my personal prefference... im not into the "curves" on the newer frames.

I set the rear connecting link to the 4.6" which i was told was the rear travel... i think that should be plenty for the type of riding I'm going to be doing.

Besides, i doubt the previous owner will want it now that it has my name and drivers license etched into it :)

#15 ·
omg thats the sexiest bike ive ever seen i want to have its babies can i have its babies just give me 5 minutes alone ill sit on its seat grab its handlbars and it will be all over dont come a knockin when the suspension is a rockin.

sweet bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.