mtbr member

Length for Thomson set back seatpost for '04 SJ FSR?

The OEM seatpost seems to be creaking more and more, plus a buddy of mine just broke his, on a identical '04 SJ expert disc.

So what length do I need. 30.9 and either 410 or 367? thanks!

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    What size frame do you have and what length seatpost mast is currently showing?

If you want to play it safe, get the 410 and if it's too long cut it down with a pipe cutter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadghost
    What size frame do you have and what length seatpost mast is currently showing?

If you want to play it safe, get the 410 and if it's too long cut it down with a pipe cutter.
    Thomson say not to use a pipe cutter . .

Also - if your frame has a minimum insertion "hole", then you can ignore the 10cm minimum insertion mark on the seatpost. In my case, it becomes 7cm.

Two wheels are best
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh
    Thomson say not to use a pipe cutter . .

Also - if your frame has a minimum insertion "hole", then you can ignore the 10cm minimum insertion mark on the seatpost. In my case, it becomes 7cm.
    A pipe cutter, though not "recommended", actually "cuts" the post just fine. You will, however, need to spend a bit more time smoothing out the cut with a file...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjohn78
    The OEM seatpost seems to be creaking more and more, plus a buddy of mine just broke his, on a identical '04 SJ expert disc.

So what length do I need. 30.9 and either 410 or 367? thanks!
    I have a medium Stumpy and bought the 367 mm. Still had to cut about half an inch off the post.

mtbr member
    Peddler, did you have to cut it off because it was hanging out the bottom of the frame? Specialized lists the 410mm on their site.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjohn78
    Peddler, did you have to cut it off because it was hanging out the bottom of the frame? Specialized lists the 410mm on their site.
    I had to cut it because the end of the post hit the stopper just before the shock. Specialized specs the 410mm but most people probably end up cutting a bit off to get the correct saddle height.