mtbr member
    Jun 2009

LBS obligation on warranty repairs?

I recently purchased an '08 SJ FSR on closeout at a bikeshop that is 150 miles from my house. I have had the bike less than 2 months. Today I was riding the trail and my rear fox triad lost all its pressure out of the blue. I was on a straight section of trail and I heard all of the air draining out of the shock.

Since the shop I purchased the bike from is out of town, what options do I have to get the bike repaired under warranty at a bike shop closer to home that is an authorized specialized dealer? Does a LBS that I didnt buy the bike from have any obligation to assist me with my claim?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Have you bothered to maintain the fox like it says so it the manual? The air can on them require periodic regreasing to maintain the air seal properly.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

AZ
    banned
    Eight dollars in Fox seals might do the trick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I havent fully disassembled and cleaned the shock according to the manual. I do keep the piston clean and keep a small amount of slick honey on it all the time. The bike has <200 (trail and road) miles and fox says clean it every 40 hours in dry/dusty conditions which is what I ride in. I dont have 40 hours on this bike yet. While i may be close to needing to disassembling it according to the maintenance schedule, I dont believe it has been neglected long enough to warrant a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Have you bothered to maintain the fox like it says so it the manual? The air can on them require periodic regreasing to maintain the air seal properly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Specialized new bike warranty doesn't cover labor anyway.
    That's not saying that some shops don't eat the labor cost themselves.
    If you need a new shock, the part shouldn't cost you anything though at either shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You can be helped by other Authorized Specialized dealers as well not just the original shop in which you purchased the bike. It's nice to support your local Specialized dealer they will be happy to help their customers. A new seal kit may be all that your shock needs.
    Visit my profile for Links to:

Performance Guarantee, Service, Setup, E150 Maintenance....

Members who have read this thread: 0