Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

LBS charging above MSRP for Spec accessories.....

I had made a list of about a dozen accessories I needed from my local bike shop. I was planning on most of them being Specialized. I compiled my list and prices and off I went. When I started gathering the goods at the bike shop I noticed they were ALL prices above the MSRP listed on the Spec website. YIKES.

To most consumers MSRP means roughly, "you will not pay more than this". In many cases it means, "you shouldn't expect to pay this".

Is this a common practice that others see? After having worked in retail this was a massive turn off to me. I don't mind paying a wee more for quality product, but paying above MSRP just isn't going to happen which is sad as I was pretty excited about a few of the items I didn't buy.

I did pick up a couple things, then prompty headed to my local REI. Picked up a few more items there as well. I am still without the larger purchases, a helmet, shoes and a couple other items.

I did email Spec about my concerns but wondered if the community thinks I should wait or take my business elsewhere. I am a die-hard loyalist when it comes to where I shop when I find somewhere I'm happy with, and also a brand I like. Does anyone have recommendations?? Shall I start shopping other shops/brands or see what Spec has to say?

For reference: When I asked the sales folks at the bike shop about pricing above MSRP he said that since they offer so many organizational discounts and coupons they just raise the prices. So they essentially raise the prices before giving people discounts, thus no one ever gets a real discount.

Hot Pursuit
    MSRP - Manufacturer "Suggested" Retail Price. Keyword is "suggested".

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am completely aware of what MSRP stands for. I'm also completely aware of the fact that the vast majority of consumers wouldn't pay MSRP for anything.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I wouldn't pay over MSRP for it. Not when you can buy it off the Spec website for less.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I totally agree with you, because now a days many companies Inflate their MSRP so that they can charge more and still say it's a great deal because it's below MSRP. That being said if the shop is charging above MSRP for much of their merchandise, I would personally be turned off by it. I have noticed though that my LBS has some specialty parts that other shops may not carry for above MSRP, probably becuase they purchase it at MSRP for the convenience of their customers and they still need to make a profit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I could certainly understand charging full MSRP or above for parts one can't get elsewhere, or not easily at least. This would apply for convenience and is understandable.

With items I can just go home and order, particularly if it's many items, I'll only pay one shipping fee and still be saving money. This really bums me out as I'm a big proponent of spending money locally and supporing local business. It's also a great place to do some networking and meet other bikers. I'd be a sad panda if I had to take my business online because my local bike shop wants to rake unsuspecting and unresearched consumers over the coals. It gets even more sad to think that my place of business has a bike patrol department that currently sends their business to that shop, which isn't likely to continue with these business practices.

mtbr member
    Carguy - I totally hear you. I've not noticed that my LBS charges more than MSRP - but they charge either MSRP exactly or only a few bucks less.

While it's in my nature to look online where I have found some of these things for much cheaper even including shipping, my LBS is great, they are very helpful and the expertise of the young mechanics there has been INVALUABLE to my enjoyment of this sport.

Admittedly I've bought my 2 bikes on eBay. While that's been a good experience, I don't think I'll go outside the LBS in the future.

I've spent a lot of money at my LBS and I'm very happy to pay a little more for the benefit of a business relationship with my LBS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevuke
    Carguy - I totally hear you. I've not noticed that my LBS charges more than MSRP - but they charge either MSRP exactly or only a few bucks less.

While it's in my nature to look online where I have found some of these things for much cheaper even including shipping, my LBS is great, they are very helpful and the expertise of the young mechanics there has been INVALUABLE to my enjoyment of this sport.

Admittedly I've bought my 2 bikes on eBay. While that's been a good experience, I don't think I'll go outside the LBS in the future.

I've spent a lot of money at my LBS and I'm very happy to pay a little more for the benefit of a business relationship with my LBS.
    This is more or less how I feel. While I'm certain I can almost always find things cheaper online, I enjoy being able to try things on, get advise from the guys and gals at the shop, and build a relationship in the process. This is worth paying a little more to me. As well as the pride of having spent my money at a local business.

That being said, I almost feel betrayed having seen nearly every single specialized accessory priced above MSRP. I went into the store with a very lengthy shopping list. This is the same store I recently bought my brand new rockhopper and I was excited to kit myself and my bike to get riding. On the list was a helmet, pump, saddle bag, bike computer, shoes, gloves, tube, patch kit, tire levers, tail light, head light, pedals, and some other bits as well. Not all of the items are made by spec but the ones that were I had every intention of buying. I had it itemized on paper with prices from the website, along with a pocket full of dough to hand over. After seeing the prices I was only able to stomach buying a couple of items before heading off to my local REI. I only grabbed a couple of things at REI so I am still without a helmet and a few other important items so I haven't been riding yet.

I guess I'm just at a loss, I'm not sure how to feel about the business practice, particularly the explaination he gave me about raising prices because they offer discounts. It just seems shady and underhanded.

mtbr member
    I'm totally with you on the pride of spending money locally. Good for you.

Other than that - yeah, it sucks. I just don't know what to say other than this:

The entry cost to this sport is ASTRONOMICAL!!!

However, once you got all your gear together, the best part of this sport, THE TRAILS, are 100% free.

I know it's still a very expensive sport, but eventually you'll be able to stop spending and just focus on riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevuke
    I'm totally with you on the pride of spending money locally. Good for you.

Other than that - yeah, it sucks. I just don't know what to say other than this:

The entry cost to this sport is ASTRONOMICAL!!!

However, once you got all your gear together, the best part of this sport, THE TRAILS, are 100% free.

I know it's still a very expensive sport, but eventually you'll be able to stop spending and just focus on riding.
    I'm not so much worried about the entry cost into the sport. I had done tons of research and was prepared for that. My new rockhopper expert 29er was a tough decision. It was a great deal of money to me, but after having started my buying journey considering the purchase of a hardrock it's evident I save and spend where the value makes sense.

The part that really chaps me is this: I was prepared with money in hand to purchase over 6 specialized items that were all priced at least $5 over MSRP, some more. If the manufacturer suggests the LBS charge $45 for something, the reviews rate it as being worth $45, and the rest of the folks in the country that don't have to shop at my local bike shop can buy it for $45.... why on earth am I being charged $50. So the local bike shop doesn't lose a couple points of margin because they have coupons in the newspaper. 6 items at a minimum of $5 each is $30. That feels like stealing to me. $30 really isn't enough to get my undies in a bunch most of the time. Howerver if Joe Blow snatched $30 out of my wallet in an attempt to steal it he is going to eat some pavement and become the newest fingerprinting for rookies volunteer at work.

Specialized items are in most cases of good quality, from the research I've done, and I'd like to buy some of the stuff...... Locally, lol. I guess going out on a limb and buying from the website might be my only choice, or just start looking into other brands of accessories.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Or just look for another LBS - I've found quality/competence and practices, as well as price, to vary widely among bike shops. (YMMV, of course.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JimInSF
    Or just look for another LBS - I've found quality/competence and practices, as well as price, to vary widely among bike shops. (YMMV, of course.)
    It sounds as though I'm going to get similar mileage to you on this one. Only drawback is that this is the only LBS (chain) that carries specialized. I guess I'll be checking out some other brands while I'm at it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy4471
    I'm not so much worried about the entry cost into the sport. I had done tons of research and was prepared for that. My new rockhopper expert 29er was a tough decision. It was a great deal of money to me, but after having started my buying journey considering the purchase of a hardrock it's evident I save and spend where the value makes sense.

The part that really chaps me is this: I was prepared with money in hand to purchase over 6 specialized items that were all priced at least $5 over MSRP, some more. If the manufacturer suggests the LBS charge $45 for something, the reviews rate it as being worth $45, and the rest of the folks in the country that don't have to shop at my local bike shop can buy it for $45.... why on earth am I being charged $50. So the local bike shop doesn't lose a couple points of margin because they have coupons in the newspaper. 6 items at a minimum of $5 each is $30. That feels like stealing to me. $30 really isn't enough to get my undies in a bunch most of the time. Howerver if Joe Blow snatched $30 out of my wallet in an attempt to steal it he is going to eat some pavement and become the newest fingerprinting for rookies volunteer at work.

Specialized items are in most cases of good quality, from the research I've done, and I'd like to buy some of the stuff...... Locally, lol. I guess going out on a limb and buying from the website might be my only choice, or just start looking into other brands of accessories.
    We're in the same boat .. I hear ya. That's probably why my biggest purchases have been online.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    More than MSRP? No way I would give that shop my business unless absolutely necessary.

They're probably the first ones to b!tch about people buying stuff online, too. I'm all for supporting the LBS, but they need to earn that support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO
    More than MSRP? No way I would give that shop my business unless absolutely necessary.

They're probably the first ones to b!tch about people buying stuff online, too. I'm all for supporting the LBS, but they need to earn that support.
    Totally agree. These shops usually have an attitude in my experience as well. Like you should be grateful they are "Willing" to sell you the product at all. Too bad because I think it turns some people off from the sport to have some shops be so clicky....

Hot Pursuit
    It's bad business practice.

Just look at the car industry when a new model comes out. Dealership has a history of marking it up thousands of dollars over MSRP. And people still pays over MSRP just to have the latest greatest toys.

Quote Originally Posted by carguy4471
    I am completely aware of what MSRP stands for. I'm also completely aware of the fact that the vast majority of consumers wouldn't pay MSRP for anything.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    My business goes 50% to LBS and 50% internet. I won't pay MSRP for frames, components or accesories. I do try to support LBS when possible as I too believe in establishing the relationship, but sometimes supporting their overhead just isn't possible or cost effective.

Like many of us here, I do my own upgrades and maintenance, so after the intial purchase, my LBS sees very little of me. This is a good balance. When I stop in to buy a tube, I often see a line of people waiting to get their bikes tuned or something new installed. Service and repair is likely a bigger part of their profits than the sale of a bike.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Do not bother with LBS, buy online. Learn how to fix stuff/bleed brakes/service your forks unless you are not technically inclined then you have a problem. It it is the AGE of DIY. It is enough to google it.
    Last edited by PatrickK; 01-09-2011 at 01:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Buy my stuff online and take the bike to the LBS for service that I get for free for lifetime when needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The local motorcycle dealers have also been charging over MSRP for the last 5 or more years. They are also stores that have very high overhead and I believe are struggling to survive. I would talk to the owner about your concerns, if he is smart, he will listen to you.

mtbr member
    I think that industries with far smaller markets than most can't necessarily afford to charge less than MSRP.

I think any extreme sport falls into this category.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am also like the other guy, loyal to my local bike shop but i am also loyal to my wallet!

If my LBS i selling something well over the MSRP then i will shop elsewhere. Most places will sell over the MSRP but maybe not by much. Give it time and they will eventually lower the price or simply shop somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by karimian5
    ...loyal to my local bike shop but i am also loyal to my wallet!
    Mutually exclusive.

mtbr member
    The economy has hit all of us pretty haard in the last 2 years or so. Every business except one (the bicycle industry) has lowered thier margins in order to keep customers in the store. I recently purchased a 4000 dollar bike that was selling at my lbs for 1000 dollars more. I asked him if he could meet me halfway on the price. Without even blinking he told me to go by it elsewhere. I couldn't believe it. I have never been back. I want to be loyal but I think a lot of retailers are being unrealistic. Just my opinion.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Totally unrealistic - he will be out of business because he may not sell that bike at all, and worse yet, you and the other people he alienated with that nonsense will never go back there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast