mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Latest Thing Done to my Specialized Stumpjumper

Hey Everyone I just got rid of the Triad shock on my 2006 Stumpy and in it's place is a new RP-23 Shock and would like to show it off. The change over wasn't at all difficult. I did it with just a pliers and some force.
    I haven't taken it out yet, hopefully tomorrow, I can't wait to feel the difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alvincaesar; 07-21-2008 at 07:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    awesome. you got it on with no mods to the shock? ill be awaiting a full ride report

thecentralscrutinizer
    It'll be a huge improvement over the triad POS.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It has no mods. I purchased it through a Cannondale Dealer. It's the same size (7.5 x 1.75) as the Triad that was on before.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I did the switch mainly because of your review mopartodd. I'm just waitin for the first ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    nice bike. does the rp23 have lockout

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    the RP-23 has and open and Propedal switch and three settings to select the desired amount of firmness you want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    too bad the stumpies dont have the RP23 already on it. or else it would be my next bike for sure

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I was wondering if the RP-23 is a better shock then the Traid? if so why?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisf695
    I was wondering if the RP-23 is a better shock then the Traid? if so why?
    it is much better. there's a thread out there somewhere that compares to two. forgot what its called. also if you look in the propedal vs the brain, somewhere towards the end there's a comparison.

long story short, the RP23 has 3 settings or propedal that actually feel like propedal. where the triad has some fake version of propedal and even bobs when its in lockout mode. some people say that the triad bobs more in lockout than when in fully open.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I never had the triad, but I went from a 2004 float R to a 2008 RP23 on my stumpy and the change was....amazing. By far the biggest and best upgrade I have done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New question here. From Septune to RP23.

Any going from the Septune to the RP23?
    Is it a big difference?
    I'm thinking of doing the change but I want to known if it the 350€ (price in Portugal) is worth the benefit.

mtbr member
    Strange…
    The Triad that came on my 07 stumpy has a lock out and it doesn't budge at all. "The Propedal" and "Open" adjustment knob has 5 different settings. I don’t like the lock out because its to rigid. After I found the proper setting, the propedal works great. But now Im curious

Will the RP23 void the frame warranty?
    From my fortress in Antarctica I watch the world die on my Sony Trinitron that's switched to channel 5

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I finally got to ride the stumpy with the new RP-23, and boy was I astonished. First to begin, the RP-23 is the shock that the Triad was aspiring to be and more. I started with the bike in propedal no.3 and with propedal on the bike felt like a hardtail, thats how stiff the rear was, I'll definitely use that setting when I go road riding with my buds. I turned the propedal switch to 2 and enjoyed the experience sailing over the terrain. The bike feels like a new bike. The Triad definitely cannot fit in the shoes of the RP-23. Propedal surely works on the RP-23 and does a hell of a great job.
    This is definitely the best upgrade I made on my bike in recent times. The American Classic wheels were the next.
    For those out there thinking of doing the change over, go right ahead and spend the money, you'll be happy you did.

mtbr member
    Great job. Wish I could do that to my 04 SJ Pro.

Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The the American Classic wheels decent? I'm looking for a new wheelset for my FSR elite. I wish i could have taken a advantage of the $350 deal for the easton xc one's at Jensonusa.com.

Does anyone recommend not buying used wheels on ebay, like Mavic Crossmax sl's?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've had those American Classic Wheels for almost 1 year now and have not had to True them. They're still running straight. They are very light, strong and they spin forever. I climb easier and faster with them, and I'm able to pass my buds while decending by just allowing them to spin. I love them so much I got a second pair. So now I run one pair with off road tires and one with road tires and just switch them whenever I want to do road or trail. In my opinion they're a better deal than the mavic's (lighter and cheaper). The Mavic has more bling.