Thread: KTM Bark

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

... and if we just ... KTM Bark

Dam I want one of these. However, I heard they cant be sold in the states due to a specialized patent.

KTM Bark 20 | Long Term Test - Pinkbike

Bark 20

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    PDS HD is the buzzline on KTM’s Bark and this centres on a floating shock which is suspended between the chainstay and the upper rocker link. Now some may shout ‘copycat’ to this in reference of its use by another large scale manufacturer, Trek, but in reality KTM actually beat them to using it on mountain bikes.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    It would be the Horst link in the rear that prevents them from selling it here if anything...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    No Horst link. Shock mounted to chainstay pivot has no magic properties whatsoever. And when you've used up all the travel, the seat tube gets to test its out of column strength. Not that there aren't a whole slew of other bikes out there that default to less than the diamond frame after the shock is done; it's just that I would have expected KTM to have gusseted the pivot point into the top tube like Niner just did.

Just another single pivot with a structurally nice shock mount - into the wrong part of the frame. I'm just done with non triangulated frames. Lotsa room for a water bottle tho, if that's your priority. Can't see anything here that Specialized would be proud of enough to patent.

Plus the inevitability of brake jack. Does the Bark refer to the tree you hit or the dog that's chasing you?