mtbr member
    Sep 2007

just took a paint chip out of my top tube, im very sad

i was just finshed a long ride, and stupidly leaned the bike grip first instead of seat first against the stone pillar outside my building while getting the door open, sure enough it slipped now i got a chip half the size of a fingernail out of my new epic, i painted over the bare aluminium with a little grey nail polish but its not the same colour as the grey titanium colour of the bike, im just gutted i tell you, you think a garage could touch it up for me and make it look a bit better?

mtbr member
    Um... it's a mountain bike. If you are riding it the way it is intended to be ridden, it's only the first of many such minor injuries.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i dont mind taking hits around the chainstays etc but right out of the top of my damn top tube, damn it

mtbr member
    How bad is it? let's see a pic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    id love to post one but i cant, its circular about a centimetre in diameter out of the top of the p where it says epic, it couldve been a lot worse, the bike could have slid all the way along that damn pillar and goughed out a foot of paint but i caught it after the ititial hit, i wasnt fast enough though, theres gotta be a way to fill it in or something

mtbr member
    cant you get touch up paint from specialized.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ill take a look

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    it doesnt look like it

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! It is like a new car.............

Now you don't have to worry about that first scratch anymore and now you can ride/wear it like a badge of honor.

You could come up with interesting stories about how it happened?

Seriously, I look at road bikes like jewelry, but, come what come may, in the life of every mountain bike will come some pain..................and scratches!
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i wouldnt mind if it were a scratch, scratches can sometimes look cool but its a big ugly round chip right down to the bare aluminium, i had to take the nail polish i put on it off, it looked even worse, at best i think all i can do it put some touch up paint on it, im probably going to have to wrap tape around it to stop it corroding for the moment

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i had a word with the bike shop boss, he told me theres a guy who has a garage near him that does paint repairs and custom paint jobs on motorcycles, he said he could make it look like nothing happened to it so ill have to see him, i got some aluminium tape and put a strip over it for the moment

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Geez, don't worry about it. Wait till it starts coming off the chainstays and underneath the downtube. Now a dent would get to me.
    Ride the rest off the paint off- get new colors.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the chainstays i dont mind so much, when i take some of the long mountain trails here though i zip tie some thick inner tube to the bottom of the downtube, one of the mountain bike guides i know here has a road tire very neatly stuck onto his downtube, he said down hilling at speed here makes the stones fly up like bullets, when one put a hole in the downtube of his hardtail he put the tire on his stumpjumper!!!

Ogden Utah
    Specialized paint jobs are nothing to brag about IMO........Probably due to all the environmental requirements regarding the VOC's in paint...........Ive given some thought to stripping the paint & sending the frame to the Anodizing Man for a Blue or Black finish............Just a thought, Joe
    While XC riding, Beware of "NGP" (Negative Gravity Pockets) They're Real!!!

mtbr member
    Patch something that'll be even on the original paint. Ask the guys at Home Depot or a painter what kind of material you can use to patch it up. Then get a sticker so you can fill up the missing color. Buy an Epic sticker or make one from a computer so the color will be close to the original. Be artistic. Then ride, ride, ride, and enjoy more ride...THEN FORGET IT !!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Though it may seem trivial to some causing cosmetic blem's sucks especially when it was not ride induced. Had a new Z1 FR 1 fork ready to install, layed it against my tool box before I pulled the old one. Pulled open a a side tool box drawer and caught the stanchion - made a nice pin head side abrasion in the ano.. Took over 6 mo. to put it behind me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i was down in the hardware looking at some filler yesterday but im going to wait until i can talk to this guy who does it for a living, ive never attempted such a thing and im afraid ill make it worse, has anyone seen the first Mr Bean movie, the one with the painting? well that would be me, i just got some aluminium tape cut a strip out of it in the shape of a little racing stripe and put it over it, you can see the shape of the missing paint through the tape but it will do for the moment, i have a slew of upgrades on the way for the bike so ill look forward to those instead of thinking about it, imagine if it had of been a carbon frame falling against the edge of a piller? that couldve been it right there!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Really hate damage like this.

I've no problem with normal chips and scrapes from use but you just feel like a tit when you take a lump of paint of through your own stupidity >_<

Texan
    I know how you feel DF.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    how did that happen? theres a chip out of mine but at least the tube itself is intact

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    how did that happen? theres a chip out of mine but at least the tube itself is intact
    I had it leaning agaisnt my truck and it fell over onto a portable sign. I WAS sick!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i bet, i didnt know id be so frustrated over a single ding, im still going to get it fixed despite people telling me to forget about it, the paint job on the bike is actually so damn pretty it makes something like this seem even worse, i didnt stop to think of that when i bought her, im going have to try and get some pics up

Tree Crasher
    Obviously you're not the type to go otb like I do. My buddy had his frame repainted by Trek. See if Spec does the same. Till you figure out what to do cover it with a decal.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=25960

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    with the christmas new year and in the spain they have the 3 kings which comes 5 days after new year all looming ahead everything is up in the air at the moment, i have the ding covered at the moment and riding while trying to forget about it, i'll try and catch that guy that can do thease kinda repairs in the middle of next week sometime, if the manager of the bike shop said he can make it look like nothing happened, i believe him