mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Just signed the family up

As I've posted plenty of times in the Camber thread I guess it's obvious what I have. I've also mentioned my son's modded Hardrock disc a few times too! (both 2012 models)

Well just signed my daughter and wife up to Spesh ownership. My daughter needed a new bike so a 2013 Myka disc is on its way. The shop had a 2012 Myka Sport marked down. Got a further deal for buying the 2 bikes.

Should have them by the end of the week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Welcome to the S pack Super Dee!

Dual Squishy...
    Yup, we're 'mostly' a Spesh family.

Me: Epic, Enduro (also have my '94 Bontrager OR Race Lite, and two road bikes - a BMC SL02, and a Spooky Skeletor)
    Wife: Ruby (also has a Giant Anthem)
    Son: Hardrock Sport Disk, modded
    Daughter: Myka HT Sport Disk

mtbr member
    2012 Carve expert, me
    2012 RH Comp, son
    2010 HR, son
    2012 Myka, wife
    2010 youth 8 speed 15.5, son.

I am very happy with what we have.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the replies.

They are both over the moon with them. I did swap the bars on my daughters myka disc for some alloy ones I had in stock as I knew those steel ones weighed loads from when I did my son's hardrock.

Should confess, I own 2 Spesh road bikes myself too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm thinking of getting both my 8-yo daughter a Myka 26 (13") and my wife a Myka 29er. Both are just getting into it. Wondering what you guys think regarding the difference between the disc and v-brakes for the 13" Myka and a 8-yo girl? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It depends on how long she'll keep the bike and if upgrade potential is important to you.

My daughter is on a 15" which should last her a while. My son has the cable discs, which we went for given his 'ride through anything' nature! Saves hydro cables getting snagged.

They aren't as powerful as hydro but decent enough. On his 2012 hardrock the brake levers were seperate but on my daughter's myka 2013 they were on unit shifter/lever combined which does make upgrading slightly more hassle but I don't see her needing too. I think the 2012 myka was seperate plus had branded rims too. At least the UK model did but my daughter liked the colour of the '13 model more and I paid sale price for it anyway.

One change we did make was changing the weighty stock steel bars for alloy ones. Huge saving there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the response and the recommendation on the bars.

On the 2013 Myka 26 Disc, the most important details:

Fork: SR Suntour XCT 26", women's coil/MCU spring, 28mm steel stanchions, 80mm travel
    Brakes: Tektro NOVELA, mechanical disc, dual pad angle adjustment, 160mm rotor, Shifters/levers: Shimano ST-EF51, 8-speed, trigger and integrated brake lever
    Rear Derailer: Shimano Altus, 8-speed, SGS Cage

On the Myka 26, non-disc model:

Fork: SR Suntour M3020, women's coil/MCU spring, 25.4mm steel stanchions, 75mm travel
    Brakes: "V" brake, alloy linear pull, 1pc. pad
    Shifters/levers: Shimano ST-EF51, 7-spd, trigger & integr. brake lvr w/ opt. display
    Rear Derailer: Shimano TX35, 7-speed

I simply don't have a clue on the relative qualities of these lower end components.

I guess the type of riding we do is important, too. Live in Bend, so not a lot of really long, steep hills. She is just 8. With those things in mind, maybe the extra cost is just not that worth it at this point, and the bike will certainly be suitable for upgrades should they be worthwhile later. My soon-to-be-9-yo boy has a 24 Hot Rock 7-spd with the stock v-brakes, and has never had any issues with braking, and I simply don't know how big of a deal the suspension forks are for him, or if better would be helpful to him (tough trying to read how things work for kids when they don't have any real point of reference, and we can't "feel" what they are feeling). At any rate, going with a 26" Myka (13") and adult forks, I would think my daughter will have a better ride, anyway, and one that should last her a good long time.

Kinda funny, when you think about it, I remember being stoked when v-brakes came out, and then blown away when disc brakes came out. Now, we are talking like v-brakes for a kids bike is an iffy proposition. Too funny.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Some fair points. I guess I tried to keep things consistent really, including one reason why all being on 26ers works for us.

Apologies for repeating the bar story, it's worth saying it twice for weight save though lol, but I didn't re read the thread!

I would say compare the 2 bikes weight as well. A heavy bike will be hard work for a kid.

It also depends on price difference.