mtbr member
    Sep 2007

just screwed up my fork, bummer

i wanted to take a bit of preload off my rockshox recon but the damn dial wouldnt budge nomatter how hard i tried to turn it, so i thought ill turn it with a pliers, bad idea, it just broke, now i can lift up the dial somewhat because its broken free, i just have to leave it sitting there, ill take the bike down to the shop tomorrow , maybe they can fix it, i dont know theres a warranty on the fork, the bike is 3 months old, ill see what happens

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Warranty on something you broke with a pliers?
    I wouldn't count on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    your right, it was my fault, i couldve had a case if i took it there and showed them it was frozen but i just had to go and take a pliers to it didnt i, i may be going for an upgrade it seems

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Bike warranties do not cover careless maintenance.

We've all been there - just ask your average rider how many times he has threaded or rounded off a bolt.

Endless of times. It just happens.

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    your right, it was my fault, i couldve had a case if i took it there and showed them it was frozen but i just had to go and take a pliers to it didnt i, i may be going for an upgrade it seems
    That sucks dude. But it's pretty cool you held yourself accountable and didnt whine about it!

mtbr member
    On the upside, the replacement parts are probably cheap (even in the UK ) and you now have a reason to take the fork apart and refill it with fresh fluid. While you're there, you might want to throw a new set of seals on it. However, you might be able to replace that part without having to completely remove the lowers, so it won't be that bad.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    On the upside, the replacement parts are probably cheap (even in the UK ) and you now have a reason to take the fork apart and refill it with fresh fluid. While you're there, you might want to throw a new set of seals on it. However, you might be able to replace that part without having to completely remove the lowers, so it won't be that bad.
    And learn how to wrench on his forks while at it!

mtbr member
    Indeed. I scratched my TALAS stanchion trying to perform normal service on it. Later, it got scratched up further so I have a new crown and stanchions to assemble. Fun stuff. But hey, I am pretty good with taking it apart; although the TALAS disassembly will be a first time so who knows what I will do to it this time...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    all i wanted was to back off the preload, that thing was stuck solid, i shouldve waited to take to the shop but like an impatient fool took a pliers to it, i wonder why it was stuck like that, the fork is working fine its just the preload dial is broken now, if they can repair it like Studant says thatll be fine, if not i'll bite the bullet and go for a nice reba

mtbr member
    Nah, they should be able to repair it just fine. The only issue is how long it might take to get the part(s).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    well being out in the canary islands waiting for parts means you wait!!!! if you dont like waiting for stuff this isnt the place you want to be, however the fork still functions so at least the bike is still usable while waiting for the parts to come in, i might even have my new bike by then