mtbr member
    May 2007

Just purchased 9x Stumpjumper Pro M2, Question inside.

I just purchased it for 425.00 from a user on craiglist, everything was in MINT condition, all the parts were clean and well maintained.

The parts that came with were as follows, XT front derail, XTR rear, XT brakes, XT rear hub and so forth.

The bike ended up weighing around 24.xx lbs, as i just used a scale from a bathroom.

My problem: While riding the bike, and rocking back and forth to pedal quicker, there is a creaking noise that comes from the handle bar location. The handle bar has a carbon fiber look to it so I'm not sure where the noise is coming from, the stem? or the handle bar itself.

Any easy ways of testing the noise? or figuring out the location?

My parents are away with the cam, so i cant take pics currently, but comes Tuesday i'll get some for ya, so you guys can see what you are dealing with.

Last edited by lusid; 05-14-2007 at 07:04 AM.

You down with entropy?

possibly the seatpost

I have a similar stumpy (mine is an M2 I got new in 93) Mine has a creak in the seatpost-seat tube. Depending on how often I remove the post and re-lube it the level of the creak changes.

It sounds like you might be out of the saddle by your description so that might not be it.

another possibility might be the cable stops (the first stop coming from the bars, mabey a dab of lube there...), or the headset.

erik

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    quill stem or threadless?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by corprin
    quill stem or threadless?

Wouldnt know how to even answer that.

I'll google for some pics or something

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This is a rough and very inaccurate picture of it

but it is adjustable, and has similar features.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    If it is adjustable, then could it not be the bearing on that which is giving you the creak??? Have you tried loosening that, giving it some lube and retightening?
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No, i haven't done any maintenance on the bike, as I purchased it 3days ago, and had only one day of riding, every other day was rain/rain/rain.

I'll give that a shot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    quill stem uses a threaded headset, which could be loose, it would look like this..

or is it a threadless which would look like this;

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Problem fixed, i loosened 3-4 bolts, sprayed some Triflow, and the noise is gone.

I also moved the adjustable stem lower, and that might have been the issue because it might have been touching the very top of them stem.

Anyways, thanks for all the replies, and the problem is all done.

It looked more "threadless" then quill.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    got some pics, of the stem

threaded or quil?

mtbr member
    It's a threadless, but adjustable stem.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    so then i can purchase a threadless fork? which is the most common. just have to make sure of the measurements etc.

mtbr member
    From the pictures it looks like a standard 1 1/8 diameter steerer tube. Just check, it should be stamped somewhere, perhaps on the stem, or measure it yourself. Older steerer tubes used to be only 1 inch, in which case you wont be able to buy a new fork. But if it is 1 1/8 inches, as it looks, anything today will work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    M2's are 1 1/8

So, yes you can purchase a threadless fork in 1 1/8" steerer tube. You might want to find your prefered rise with the adjustable, take it off, then find a stem that will match that rise. That way you will never have to worry about it loosening on you, or the weight.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well granted i weigh, 125lbs of feathers, lol...

Got any recommendations? I should keep it under 100mm? or should i go even less?

Like i mentioned, i do weigh less then most riders, i'm looking for a suspension that i can feel as well as something that wont flex too much.