Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I got a chance to move my fork to the 130mm setting. Big improvement. Lots of travel and a real nice ride.

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    this is the 100mm setting for the fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    There ya go! Your FSR XC Pro should now be called a FSR AM Pro!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp111
    There ya go! Your FSR XC Pro should now be called a FSR AM Pro!
    Heh

Preparing my new photos, 140mm front (TALAS '07), 130mm rear (PUSHed RP23 + BETD) on FSR XC '06 - "FSR XC on steroids"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've promised to share experience on 130mm rear with BETD. Sorry for delay. Here it is.

+ more comfortable riding

+ higher BB, more clearance, it's possible to continue pedaling in turns, that make my pedals touch the ground on 100mm

+ BETD link looks cool!

+/- ProPedal effect is stronger

- BETD link is twice heavier than standard

- front derailer restriction: as angle of the rear has changed (dropouts go lower), but seat tube keep the same angle - chain may touch (lay on) front derailer. For example, if bike is without weight, 1-1 is ok, 1-2 chain sometime rub on FD, 1-3 - stable rubbing. With the rider on bike it's not so critical, but it's good to remember that. Let's say "it's not a bug, it's a feature"

- higher pressure in rear shock is necessary. I had ~150psi for 100mm, and now should use 180-185psi on 130mm (Fox RP23 '07, 165/38mm)

May be I will remember something else later

Here it my "Steroid FSR XC", Marzocchi XC 700 SL has been changed to TALAS '07.

140 front / 130 rear

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How is the talas at 140mm? I remember specialized advises only forks with 130mm travel max?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jappo
    How is the talas at 140mm? I remember specialized advises only forks with 130mm travel max?
    TALAS is a nice fork

Travel restriction is about head angle. In case of standard 100mm rear the restriction for front is a 130mm (by documentation). But if I have 130mm rear, and 140mm front, it's the same angle as 100 rear/110 front. I think it's ok.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ok that makes sence

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Great looking bike Archer 13, nice build up. I should spring for shwalbes, some folks swear by them. About the front der., since it's a clamp mount couldn't it be slid down a little to compensate for the lowered dropouts? Just a theory I guess.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer13
    TALAS is a nice fork

Travel restriction is about head angle. In case of standard 100mm rear the restriction for front is a 130mm (by documentation). But if I have 130mm rear, and 140mm front, it's the same angle as 100 rear/110 front. I think it's ok.
    I agree that the travel restriction is about head angle, but you forget that head angle is dynamic.

by adding travel front and rear you only keep the same head angle when the bike is level, not when the suspensions are being compressed at different rates.

say you; land rear suspension first. your rear suspension is compressed and your front fork is at full extension. higher head angle and more leverage.

say you run into a big rock that you meant to lift over but stuffed up. you now have and extra 40mm of leverage acting on the frames steering tube.

there are lots of dynamic situations where the extra 40mm of travel is an extra 40mm even if you add the same to the rear. you haven't made the frame stronger, so the bike is still only engineered for what it was originally intended XC. if you venture into more aggressive riding you have made the bike more likely to break by extending the travel.

having said this I have added up to 30mm more travel to my fork without adding it to the rear. As long as people attempting this realise the extra travel doesn't suddenly make their bike a free-ride rig then it will probably never adversely affect them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by landslide
    I agree that the travel restriction is about head angle, but you forget that head angle is dynamic.
    there are lots of dynamic situations where the extra 40mm of travel is an extra 40mm even if you add the same to the rear. you haven't made the frame stronger, so the bike is still only engineered for what it was originally intended XC. if you venture into more aggressive riding you have made the bike more likely to break by extending the travel.
    As long as people attempting this realise the extra travel doesn't suddenly make their bike a free-ride rig then it will probably never adversely affect them.
    You are right, but I'm not riding freeride at all. No jumps, no drops. It's still XC, sometime agressive XC (or Fun XC, in PUSH terminology ). It's all about comfort. In the same conditions I feeling more comfortable, than on 100mm. Higher BB is also good thing in the forest.

Also, I can change travel back in 5 minutes, if I plan long riding over easy road.

Another reason of this fork is - right now I'm ready to change a frame to, for example, Stumpjumper FSR, without any additional investment (excluding frameset, of course).

By the way, what about different forks, with different height with same travel? I think it's no problem to find 130mm fork on the market with the same height as 140mm TALAS

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer13
    You are right, but I'm not riding freeride at all. No jumps, no drops. It's still XC, sometime agressive XC (or Fun XC, in PUSH terminology ). It's all about comfort. In the same conditions I feeling more comfortable, than on 100mm. Higher BB is also good thing in the forest.
    By the way, what about different forks, with different height with same travel? I think it's no problem to find 130mm fork on the market with the same height as 140mm TALAS
    maybe there are forks the same length at 130 travel as another at 140mm (10mm). I doubt you would find much more variation.

the frames are possible over spec'ed as it is and it sounds like your not expecting to much from your bike. just pointing out to others the reality that it does put more stress on the frame regardless of increasing the travel evenly front and rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    landslide, it's like "bike not expecting too much from me"
    I'm not so experienced rider, still learning...

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    When you push the XC hard it does not handle well with the way it is set-up with that much travel the head angle is just to steep.Its just not made to handle jumps. so I guess it comes down to the way you like to ride. I should have my 07 StumpJumper Expert soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OK I need some answers. I really want to buy the BETD link for my 2005 S works Stump Jumper. The added strength and additional travel sounds perfect, not to mention that it looks so !!*&%$% cool. Here are my questions:

1. If I have a Septune shock, will it work on both settings 120mm as well as the 150mm?
    2. Any special tools for installation, or can I do this myself?
    3. Any warranty issues
    4. Why wouldn't you want to install this sweet looking link?

I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight, since I want to get one so bad. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best

mmueller

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Claim warranty with the original link
    4. a. you don't like the increased bottom (and saddle) height, b. it steapens the head-angle and you don't have a matching 140/150mm fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the info. When you state yes on No. 2 do you mean I can do it myself or that I need special tools? Also a few other questions.

How much do you have to increase your shock psi with the BETD link if you use the longer travel? I weigh 200 lbs and ride my septune at 215-220 psi. If I get the BETD link can this shock handle the required increase in psi for my weight. Do you know what the typical percentage increase in shock pressure will need to be. I love the idea of having 150 mm of travel, but want to make sure that my shock can handle the increase of psi required.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MMUELLER
    How much do you have to increase your shock psi with the BETD link if you use the longer travel? I weigh 200 lbs and ride my septune at 215-220 psi. If I get the BETD link can this shock handle the required increase in psi for my weight. Do you know what the typical percentage increase in shock pressure will need to be. I love the idea of having 150 mm of travel, but want to make sure that my shock can handle the increase of psi required.
    It was about 25% increase for my RP23 165x38mm. Used 150 psi for 100mm settings, and increase to 180-185psi for 130mm settings.

I don't remember maximum limit PSI for Septune, for RP23 it's about 300psi. Anyway, for 150mm settings you may use 30% sag settings, it can help you to prevent overpressure of shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgreen
    Z71 nice to hear about the improvements. I own a 2k6 stumpy and want to put a betd link on my bike. Why don't you have the 130mm and 150mm link isn't your bike an 06. Anyways I can't get betd to respond to my emails and was wondering how long it took them to reply to you?
    JGreen, I also own a 2006 Stumpjumper FSR. Did you ever go with the BETD link ?
    I would like to get it if it fits the 06 model.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Awesome!!!

Great setup archer, im plannin to do the same with my 08 FSR, question though, is the frame on the 06, 07, and 08 model different?...from the pics I know there not. I just spoke to Dan and he hasnt tried an 08 model yet with the BETD link, but hopefully he gets back to me asap. I have a rock shox tora 302 on my bike but I would like to know how I can change it to a 130mm travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    In 2007 Specialized started to use non-standard sizes of rear shock. 06 and older had standard sizes - 6.5x1.5 (165x38mm).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So I can put a 7.5"x2.0" rear shock like a Fox RP3 or RP23?. Thanx for the help.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by djmarkian
    So I can put a 7.5"x2.0" rear shock like a Fox RP3 or RP23?. Thanx for the help.
    If you need a shock with a slightly shorter stroke, I have an almost new 2007 Fox RP23 that came on a CD Rush. It is 7.5"x 1.75". I noticed the guy who started this thread is using one.

The Dude Abides
    Did I miss something? You have an '06 FSR XC (not stumpy FSR, right?), but on BETD's website, they only have new linkages for up to the '05 FSR XC. Is that the one you guys bought?

My wife has an '07 FSR XC Comp, and I have an '05 Enduro Comp. I wonder if any of those linkages will fit on our bikes.

Any body know?
    This aggression will not stand, man.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Question RE BETD install.

I'm installing a BETD link on my 100mm Stumpy.

When you installed the link, did you use spacers on both sides of the linkage bearings or on the frame side only?

Meaning was it like this:

frame // spacer // bearing // spacer // bolt

or like this:

frame // spacer // bearing // bolt

Thanks in advance.
    BG.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    frame (or seatstay) // spacer // bearing // bolt

Just ride!
    Thanks to the excellent advice and posting of Archer, I also took the plunge and installed a BETD link to my 04 Stumpjumper. Here are my observations after a long summer of riding

The increased bottom bracket clearance alone makes this a worthy upgrade! As the other poster stated, the raised bottom bracket makes pedaling through turns possible! The inherit handling compromises of the standard height bottom bracket is eliminated. The increased bottom bracket height also eradicates pedal strikes during technical and rocky terrain navigation.

The 130MM travel makes the bike handle and feel very similar to a 2004 era Enduro. I matched the increased rear travel with a 130 MM Magura Laurin AM fork. I have used the BETD link with the stock Triad shock, but I used a Pushed RP23, size 6.5 x 1.5 most of the time. I am now running the rear at the 100MM travel setting. The bike climbs much better in this setting. The rear suspension is still plush for descending, depending if the ProPedal is engaged. I expected the front to be much higher in the back with the front at 130mm and the rear at 100. However, the increased bottom bracket height actually makes the bike feel level! The bike feels like a 5 inch travel bike.

I do experience the aforementioned front derailleur rub in lower gears. The front shifting was problematic for a while, until I swapped the positions of the outboard bottom bracket spacers to one on the driver side and two on the non drive side. No problems since!

This is a great upgrade if you want a different bike without buying a new frame.

mtbr member
    Hey men and women,

There is a BETD linkage on a 2004 Specialized Enduro Pro and I LOVE it! It is super smooth at slow and high speeds. Check out the post for the 2004 Specialized Enduro Full Custom for all of you BETD addicts.

Ciao

mtbr member

Pics are now lost

Of course now is thetime I am looking at improving my 06 FSR XC Pro.
    I checked the BETD site does anyone know of a US based company doing these upgrades.

mtbr member
    Wow this looks great! I wish they made one for a 2008 FSRxc Comp. Thats my old bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hello!

I've been folowing this topic for a while, and I'm really enjoying the idea of a upgrade in my rear travel from 120mm to 150mm.
    I own a FSR Stumpjumper expert of 2006. I've changed my front suspencion for 140mm.
    Does anyone with a similar bike can give his opinion.
    Is it a nice change?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Our 2004 Stumpjumper Pro shock linked cracked in half today. We are relieved to find this thread with a BETD solution. Everyone still happy with their custom link?
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO (Tang, XTR groupo)
    2011 Giant Reign 2 (XT groupo)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12