mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Just got a quote on a 2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert HT 29

Hi all,

My LBS just quoted me 10% off a 2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert HT 29 - not that its in since there is a shortage but that was what was quoted to me. Is this a good price?

Thanks

I <3 NM
    10% off a bike they can't sell you because they don't have one?

seems like a good deal to me

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks MTBNate for responding. Forgive my lack of humor but were you being sincere? Good deal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I vote "good deal". It's a very popular model, and b/c it's in demand, many shops could sell at MSRP only, and still have people willing to pay. If they'll give you a discount, I say you found a pretty good shop.

For context, many shops sponsor "club teams". Usually, these "club racers" wear the jersey, show up at events, and represent the bike shop in a positive manner. In return, the racers often get 20% off MSRP. So, 10% off for "average Joe off the street" sounds plenty fair for a bike in short supply.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thank you LilGasPasser! Your points are very valid. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Man, most of the shops were I bought my last bike wouldn't offer discounts on new bikes. MSRP or go look elsewhere was what I got, older bikes some deals were made, just not usually on the stumpies.

I'd look at it as a decent deal, not killer, but may require effort to do better.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    I got 33 percent off of my ht 29er s works. Just called around. That isn't that good of a deal. A lot dealers will do better than that but I also close to the headquarters in Morgan hill. But I don't think that matters. If the dealer doesn't have to pay flooring on the bike why not ask for a larger discount.

mtbr member
    Sorry I didn't mention that I ordered it back in sept and received the bike in october. It had to be one of the first to roll out. I think I got pretty lucky And btw the bike is awesome

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'd say call around to many places. Tell them a shop offered you 10% and if they can beat it. making some profit is better than not selling anything at all. I'll bet you can find a place that will offer you 15% or more.

The Other Dude
    Remember the quality of bike shop you buy from means quite a bit too. Good customer service, and good mechanics should weigh into what you pay also.

We have one dealer that we call the "bicycle depot" they sell everything cheap, but any service, warranty, etc...is a nightmare with them. All the other local shops in the area know it too, some have refused service/warranty claims and to customers since they bought from them and got a "deal" they should have it serviced/warrantied with them. Not saying that right or wrong for the shops to do, but it happens.

Call around and see who you feel most confident/comfortable buying your bike from, see if they will include any extras like sizing and fitting you on the bike, a free first go over/tune up on the bike, etc... Factor all that in, and see where you best deal is.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jut8 hit the nail on the head. It is worth it buying from a respected, reputable shop. Even if it means not going with your first choice of bike. I say that because for the most part it is really hard to buy a bad bike today. Fit is the most important thing. Even if you are your own wrench you are going to need the support of a good shop at some point.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope

I know 4 shops in Phoenix that have that bike in Stock. Easy to Find. They are asking 2999.
    SF
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thank you all for your help on this. I did call around and all the local (and 60 mile radius) wanted roughly 10%... so I'm proud to say I will soon be a Stumpjumper owner. My first "real" mountain bike EVAR!!

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    If I could buy any complete bike tomorrow I would buy the 3000 stumpjumper carbon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    congrats! post pics when you get it!

The Other Dude
    That is a great first bike! You get the award for the awesome first mtb EVAR! Enjoy it, i love mine!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
    Only down side is that you will be expected to be fast on that speed machine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That bike does everything it can to help you in the speed category. I have been more than impressed with mine.