mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Just got a new 05 Epic Disk - bottom bracket question

Hey what’s goin on I used to have an 02 Fuel 80 and thought I would try out an epic and besides the handlebars so far I love the bike! It rides so smooth and the feel of the fox fork makes me smile every time I get on the bike. My question is, the bike (Canadian version) comes with a Shimano ES-30 bottom bracket and I really would like to replace it because it just bugs me to have a "Shimano SORA Road Bike" part on my bike. Will I have any problems replacing it with a Shimano ES-51 with the custom Shimano hollowtech octalink XT spline crank that comes with the bike? And also are there any other things I should look out for specifically with the bike? I know it can get leaks in rear brain shock but nothing else.

Much appreciated,
    Ian

Paid 1700$ CAD at Toronto International Bike Show, can't beat that price.
    Last edited by mcgillei; 03-04-2006 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgillei
    Hey what’s goin on I used to have an 02 Fuel 80 and thought I would try out an epic and besides the handlebars so far I love the bike! It rides so smooth and the feel of the fox fork makes me smile every time I get on the bike. My question is, the bike (Canadian version) comes with a Shimano ES-30 bottom bracket and I really would like to replace it because it just bugs me to have a "Shimano SORA Road Bike" part on my bike. Will I have any problems replacing it with a Shimano ES-51 with the custom Shimano hollowtech octalink XT spline crank that comes with the bike? And also are there any other things I should look out for specifically with the bike? I know it can get leaks in rear brain shock but nothing else.
    The ES-30 is not specifically SORA Road Bike group, they probably just used it for that group. It's also included in the (older) LX-group!

Depending on the conditions where you live it's probably only going to last a year before developing play (on my FSR04 it has worn out already and needs replacing).

Just replace it when it's time to do so. By that time your chainrings will need replacing too, you might as well put on an entire new crankset, eg. XT, including BB and rings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    if you want to replace the BB right away you might as well get a ES 71. it's noticably lighter than the ES 51. The stock cranks on that bike are basically the XT hollowtec's from a couple of years ago and are pretty decent.
    FYI shimano parts that start with a 3 are Deore, with a 5 are LX, with a 7 are XT and with a 9 are XTR

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Smile

Thanks for the advice, I actually already have an ES-51 hanging around so I just wanted to make sure I could install it without any problems. Once I need to replace the crank as djska said I will just goto an XT crank at that time and it has and ES-71 included with it. Just ordered an Easton EA50 O/S Riser Handlebar that should make this bike just perfect for me! (6'2").

Thanks again,
    Ian