mtbr member
    Dec 2007

just got my first mtb EVER 07 hardrock

I have been into bmx for a while and i just moved up to my first moutnain bike ever. I got an 07 hardrock i know its not the best bike but its my first. Any body have any reccomendations for parts i should look into? or maybe pictures of custom ones? thanks fellas

mtbr member
    glad to hear. my first was a rockhopper, used, I traded a 100$ and bmx bike for it... You'll love it, just take good care of it and ride it until you start passing the guys on 4,000$ bikes on the climbs. That's the best!

mtbr member
    My 1st bike was a HR too. My skill level wouldnt be where its at now if it wernt for that bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    lol ya i love it already you can do so many things on a mountain bike that you could never on a bmx bike

Specialized Rida
    I recently got an 07 hardrock, and it's not anywhere near my first bike.

Upgrades I would recommend is change the fork out. Everything else is ok and works pretty well, but the fork sucks bad. I went to pick up the bike when I first bought it and it went straight to repairs becuase of the fork.

I'll post a pick of my bike and it's upgrades since I got it in october of this year. I have upgraded several things starting with the fork in the three months I have owned it. Not that it needed it but that is the way I roll. I love the hardrock and it's quality so that is why I picked one up instead of a stumpjumper or any other hardtail specialized has. I truely love this bike, and for the price it's definetly worth it.

mtbr member
    you'll be stoked when your bmx skills pay off on the trails, too. im talkin about jumps, drops, and tight turns! my friend KILLS on the downhill, because he rides his bmx like, 4 days a week and mtn bike maybe once a month... whata jerk!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    thats good to kno hey skate what kind of forks did you get?

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigkg
    thats good to kno hey skate what kind of forks did you get?
    I would recommend a fox fork, but I got a Prototype of manitou's future shock which hasn't hit the market yet, but it has 100-135mm of adjustable travel. Good fork so far and manitou has one of the best customer service department around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    kool thanks

Specialized Rida

07 fire distress

Specs:

Everything stock except.
    fork: Manitou
    wheelset: Demo 7 stock wheelset. Front 20mm T/A and solid axle rear
    brakes: hayes hfx 9
    headset: FSA
    Handlebar and stem: 50mm stem, and EA 50 handlebar.
    Grips: ODI lockon's
    Shifter: Deore
    So to replace to XTR rear Derailleur.

I think that is it.

I built this thing to take a beating. wieghing in at 33.4 lbs.

I didn't feel like taking it down from the wall, so that's why it looks at an angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigkg
    I have been into bmx for a while and i just moved up to my first moutnain bike ever. I got an 07 hardrock i know its not the best bike but its my first. Any body have any reccomendations for parts i should look into? or maybe pictures of custom ones? thanks fellas
    I think on the 07 they went to a new stem that wasn't such an anchor, but other components are still generally heavy. A nicer fork is probably the best upgrade, but expensive. Same with the wheelset. I bought an 06 because I really wanted the hardrock frame with 2x9 drivetrain with bashguard, discs, and sram components. I upgraded fork (Float 120RL), pedals (shimano M520), stem (truvative XR-3D), brakes (bb7s 185fr/160rr). I also went to ODI lock on grips when originals got nasty and I usually run a thudbuster seatpost. I've spent more money on it than I should have, but I shopped carefully and kept prices reasonable. One thing you should definitely plan on is replacing hubs or wheelsets because stock hardrocks come with junk hubs. My bud and I both fried our hubs within a year. I am trying to decide if I want to replace hubs only and keep the singletrack rims (heavy, but tough), or just go to a lighter cheap wheelset and build the singletracks for a dual suspension bike. If your bike has v-brakes, then a wheel upgrade/disc brake upgrade would be a good combo to do all at once.

Enjoy the bike!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    I put ~10k miles on my '05 Hardrock before I starting swapping out parts. Now I've only got a couple stock parts left. Let me tell you, that bike took a beating. Was hitting 4 foot drops with it, and the wheels never went out of true, never dented/broke anything.

If yours has got the Specialized Mobius stem, swap that out first. Paid $25 for an FSA FR-200 stem and lost 202 grams (~.5lbs). It's a boat anchor. Mine came with a Marzocchi MZ Comp fork, which sucked.

Best upgrade? Quite possibly going from BB5s to BB7s. The difference is remarkable. Otherwise, it might've been swapping out the Truvativ Blaze cranks for XT M760s.

I Am Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    Sorry for raising this post from the dead, but what on earth is that seat post?
    2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp | 2009 Specialized Roubaix Comp | 2008 Specialized Langster New York

mtbr member

Ok!

Wow. I'm glad I found this topic. I just bought my first mountain bike like 4 months ago as well (Hardrock Sport). I actually was earlier in the week thinking about selling it an getting something nicer but after going to a couple of bike shops an looking around I have decided to keep it until I get better. I recently posted a topic on the beginners board but didn't get really any good info except from one guy. I grew up riding dirt bikes so the change is somewhat lateral but also very different at the same time . What things should I look out for with this bike i.e. parts breaking an such? I'm def. changing out the shocks! That's for sure...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkelz
    Sorry for raising this post from the dead, but what on earth is that seat post?

That is a thudbuster. It's a seatpost with built-in suspension.

http://www.thudbuster.com/

Ugly ain't it? But apparently people like 'em.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skate
    Specs:

Everything stock except.
    fork: Manitou
    wheelset: Demo 7 stock wheelset. Front 20mm T/A and solid axle rear
    brakes: hayes hfx 9
    headset: FSA
    Handlebar and stem: 50mm stem, and EA 50 handlebar.
    Grips: ODI lockon's
    Shifter: Deore
    So to replace to XTR rear Derailleur.

I think that is it.

I built this thing to take a beating. wieghing in at 33.4 lbs.

I didn't feel like taking it down from the wall, so that's why it looks at an angle.
    What's the bike in the background? An older demo?

I Am Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by Swthrtsuzy
    That is a thudbuster. It's a seatpost with built-in suspension.

http://www.thudbuster.com/

Ugly ain't it? But apparently people like 'em.
    Thanks for answering my question. I wouldn't want to offend the owner of that bike, but lets just say I wouldn't opt for one of those!
    2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp | 2009 Specialized Roubaix Comp | 2008 Specialized Langster New York

trail addict
    Thanks for answering my question. I wouldn't want to offend the owner of that bike, but lets just say I wouldn't opt for one of those!
    No offense taken, but you shouldn't knock it 'til you try it. There are a lot of people who love them. It really pays off once you get 7 or 8 miles of singletrack behind you. For shorter rides or dirt roads, it doesn't really matter.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

I Love Lamp
    My first bike was a Hard Rock. It was great. I abused that bike, and never had a problem. I then bought a Trek 4300. I actually took good care of that bike, and it gave me constant problems. So now I ride Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er. I will never buy a Trek product again. I wish I still had the Hard Rock.

I Am Specialized
    No offense taken, but you shouldn't knock it 'til you try it. There are a lot of people who love them. It really pays off once you get 7 or 8 miles of singletrack behind you. For shorter rides or dirt roads, it doesn't really matter.
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I definitely take your point of view in trying something before judging it.

I take it you'd only use a Thudbuster on a hard tail?

trail addict
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I definitely take your point of view in trying something before judging it.

I take it you'd only use a Thudbuster on a hard tail?
    Yeah, it just takes the edge off for a hardtail. It is not really like (normal) suspension, though and you still need to get off the seat into the attack position for anything big.

mtbr member
    you still need to get off the seat into the attack position for anything big.
    Um, I'd recommend doing that on any bike, including a full-suspension freeride bike...

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    Um, I'd recommend doing that on any bike, including a full-suspension freeride bike...
    Well yeah, but "big" is a relative word. There are things I roll pretty easily on my 6 inch bike that take a lot of body english on a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've owned 2 Hardrocks. First one was early highschool, then 3 years ago bought my new one. Love these bikes for what I ride (mostly XC, with the occasional weekend mountain/trail ride. Only problem I had with my new one was the chain rusted, and when It was replaced the rear crank set was worn down and it was "popping" the chain. Got that replaced, and since been perfect.

First ride of the season comming today!