mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Just finished re-building my '03 Epic...

...and it's AWESOME! I bought this bike in 2004, it was a demo at the shop. This is pretty much the bike that really got me into mountain biking. After a while a lot of the major components started to wear down. The fork blew out in the last race in the Norcal High School MTB series, I got it fixed just in time for the Cougar Mountain Classic, but I had a lot of problems with it there. I decided to overhaul it, and that was the last time I rode it. Over the past few months I've stripped it, cleaned it, and rebuilt it, and it turned out so much better than I expected. Don't worry I'm gonna get it dirty tomorrow, I'll post more pics then.

Specs:
    FORK: '03 Rock Shox Duke
    HEADSET: Chris King Nothreadset
    STEM: Thompson Elite X4, 90mm 0 degree rise
    HANDLEBARS: Specialized XC low rise bar
    GRIPS: WTB Dual Density
    BRAKES: Avid Single Didgit 7
    BRAKE LEVERS: Avid Speed Dial 7
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano XT M-760
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Sram X.9
    SHIFT LEVERS: Sram X.9
    CASSETTE: Sram PG-990 11-34
    CRANKSET: Truvativ Stylo 3.3
    BOTTOM BRACKET: Truvativ GXP
    PEDALS: Time ATAC XS
    RIMS: Mavic 717
    FRONT HUB: Shimano XT-M760
    REAR HUB: Shimano XT-M760
    SADDLE: Specialized Body Geometry, Magnesium Rails
    SEAT POST: Thompson Elite Set Back Seatpost
    SEAT BINDER: Salsa Lip-Lock
    SKEWERS: Salsa Flip Offs

Haven't weighed it on a real scale yet, but I put it on the bathroom scale and it's about 26 pounds. A little heavier than I wanted, but so what.

Pics:
    Forgot to take before pics, so this is when I was taking it apart

After:

For some reason I've always thought Epics looked the best from this angle:

For a few more pics go to: http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i5...reak2000/epic/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtb_freak2000; 12-07-2007 at 08:20 PM.
    "My scraper bike go hard, I don't need no car."

mtbr member
    very cool... always wanted an epic for racing around on. very sweet!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    damn it looks great, really unique and retro looking, i just bought a brand new 08 epic comp, weighs in at just over 27 pounds with pedals so you did well

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I took this bike on a ride today, and damn, I forgot how much I loved it. It accelerates like a plane off an aircraft carrier and handles like a sports car. Getting used to not having a QR seat collar was intresting, it always felt like I was going to endo off small drops and stuff. All my other bikes have disc brakes, so it was kinda sketchy on the downhills until I got used to it again. I got it weighed on the scale at the bike shop, and it was 27.5 pounds with pedals, but it rides like a much lighter bike. Here's some pics from todays ride:

mtbr member
    Gratz man, the bike shines like new and i bet it feels good to get back on the trails again. Nothing looks better than old fashion specialized red on that epic IMO. Oakland i see... interesting i used to ride up in the hills a few years back, i plan on being that way some time early next year, gonna have to look up what trail your on and take a ride. I have a 07 epic that i have yet to be able to ride...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks. The trail that picture was taken on runs between moon gate in redwood park and the top of cinderella in JMP. PM me when your out here and I'll show you some of the trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Epic 2003 -- me too

Wow -- that looks brand new. I've got a 2003 Epic too, but it's looking well used. I took a post-ride picture yesterday to send my brother -- I think it's actually the first picture I've ever taken of it. It is still my regular ride. In the past year or so I made several changes, mainly BB7 brakes and a Reba 100mm fork. It's all clean & lubed today, but no picture. I'm pretty sure it'll never again be showroom clean like yours. Nice job.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    damn, jmp looks good in that picture. ive gotta go again, miss chap. and cind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDogDan
    Wow -- that looks brand new.
    That's what 2 coats of car wax does for you. It's actually a lot more beat up than it looks in these pics, and this is probably gonna be the last time it's that clean. The only problem with this is it turned out so good that I want another project, which I can't afford.