mtbr member
    Sep 2007

just bought an brand new 08 epic comp

it seems to fit me much better than xc does, i had to move my saddle fully forward on the xc and still wasnt comfortable, im planted just right on the epic, its titanium coloured frame is beautiful i love it, it weighed in at just over 27 pounds with shimano spd's and the reflectors removed, with a few upgrades ill get it down to 26, id be happy with that, the cassette and rear hub will be first to go, the brakes are a bit spongy at the moment i suppose itll take a while before they start to bed in, i wont be able to ride it properly till next wednesday, ill be away until then grrr.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    another thing i notice with the epic is that my seat is level with the bars, with the xc i had to have my seat at least 3 inches above the bars for a comfortable pedal stroke, it didnt bother me but scared the hell out of me going down hills, i just may be be more comfortable going downhill on the epic than i thought

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Got a M epic expert and have the saddle pretty much level with the bars too. I'm 5' 9" I've ended up sliding the saddle pretty much all the way back on the rails though to feel right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i have the opposite problem, i usually have to move it forward, i had it forward all the way on my xc and it still wasnt forward enough, that bike just never fit me right, the epic is right on the money, i am going to upgrade some things though, does anyone know the weight difference between an XTR cassette and the stock shimano HG 50? i would guess at least 100g? also the LX front derailer has to go, i dont like it already, middle ring and big ring on the cassette the chain is rubbing like hell on it, ill go XTR there also possibly another 100g?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    you'll probably get about 100g or so off with an XTR cassette (~360g for HG50, 230g for XTR), but the XTR is also like $240 and the HG50 is $35...if weight is what you are worrying about and you don't want to dish out that much for a cassette, try a SRAM PG980 (~270g), which is more like $60 and lighter than an XT cassette. you're not gonna save a ton of weight by going XTR or XT FD from the LX...have you tried just adjusting the FD to get rid of the rub?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks for the advice Quantser, ill see if i can adjust it, i guess i just have a hang up about an lx derailer on a bike that cost me so much, same with the cassette, the sram you mentioned looks like a great option i'll ask if they have one, i'll get a good deal on the XTR cassette though id say they'll let me have one for 160

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks for the advice Quantser, ill see if i can adjust it, i guess i just have a hang up about an lx derailer on a bike that cost me so much, same with the cassette, the sram you mentioned looks like a great option i'll ask if they have one, i'll get a good deal on the XTR cassette though id say they'll let me have one for 160

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks for the advice, ill look into the Sram cassette, i know he'll give me a good deal on the XTR about 160 i think, i guess i have a hang up about the LX FD on a bike that cost me so much, ill try adjusting it for the time being

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    sorry damn lag on the server

Texan
    Pics!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i had a chat with the boss of the bike shop today, he cut me a deal on an XT crank XTR cassette and phenom SL for just over 400 dollars, im going for it, that should shave off close to 350 grams and get me under 27 pounds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How come you didn't go for the epic expert if your keen to upgrade so soon? Not sure what the weight difference is between the expert and the comp though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the expert is a lot more expensive and still has the same heavy cassette, it also comes in a lousy colour that i dont like, i get good deals in my bike shop (get on well with the boss) so i can upgrade more parts cheaper that what id pay for the expert, the titanium colour just rocks also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah was going to a comp myself but got offered a fantastic deal on expert. The blue is definatly a colour you like or you don't.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i dont like the blue, however i just came of the spesh website and i missed out on the black and orange one, that one is a real looker, in the sunny dusty climate i live in though black is a tough colour to keep clean. i also checked out the spec of the expert, some nice componants there that i shouldve paid more attention to, still though it means i get to personalise my ride more, im leaving the wheels till last because there are so many ways of getting your wheels lighter it can make your head spin, for now im going with XTR pedals cassette and front derailer, an XT crank and phenom sl saddle, if that gets more than 350 grams off ill be doing well

mtbr member
    I've seen numbers putting the stock LX (HG50) cassette over 400 grams, however either number is too heavy for a bike of that cost.

Strangely, many Epic riders that I've seen have the saddle above the grips as they are usually racing the bike. It's strange that the Epic was level for you, but the XC had the saddle above the grips (must be headtube length and spacer count).
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yes i know, i thought i would have had to jack that seat right up but i dont, its certainly a perk that i didnt expect and actually one of my favourite things about the bike,

if the cassette weighs that much itll be good news when the new one goes on, somebody said on the weight weenie forum that ill save 180 grams with an XTR cassette, thats quite a bit, im wondering how much ill save on the crank with the 2008 XT, i'll probably be lucky to save 100, i just have to wait for them to get the phenom sl saddle then ill be leaving the bike in

mtbr member
    I went to an XT (2007, it was cheap) and love it. I hate the LX cassettes as they are quite slippery (it appears to be chrome steel) so it doesn't take much to have shifting issues. Oh, and they are stupid heavy too.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert