Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DSG
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

The joys of an Enduro SL in the British winter...

The Enduro SL struggled a little over xmas in the mud. The sub-zero temperatures froze the mud to the point where it couldn't shed it and both the front and rear wheels would not move.

Half my time on the ride was spent finding twiggs and digging the mud out so I could ride again

I've generally found the bike pretty good over this winter. Front clearance hasn't been a problem until now. The rear end gets clogged every ride around the front mech. In fairness, the rear of my old 04 enduro struggled on that section of the trails to the point where the wheel wouldn't move.

The Eskar tyres have been pretty good so far, but I have found their limit in the mud
    Attached Images Attached Images

100% italian mtbiker
    Oct 2007
    uhhh! I'm waiting for the enduro but I was already aware of this issue. I understand you, mate: on the hills around my town (in Italy) I've got sticky clay on south-west and sandstone on south-east.
    Last edited by mdsjack; 01-02-2008 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i live in gran canaria, what is that stuff on your bike??? lol kidding dont have those issues here but dust can be an enemy here sometimes i come back off a ride and you cant see what colour the bike is

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Because of where I live I also get the full benefit of British mud every ride, mostly clay unless I get in the car, since Iíve switched to a wider tire (2.00 to 2.35) I have better grip in the mud and the new Maxxis Ignitors have a lower profile than the stock balloon tires on my Stumpy.

Here I am up Leith hill before the mud arrived and without my cycling gear, looking like a complete weirdo:

[/SIZE]

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    One thing I noticed when I cleaned off similar uck was that stones picked up and began to score the underside of the arch.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Different bike but the rear wheel on my Stumpy started doing that this first winter on the bike, only thing I could do was get lower profile, wider (was) 2.00 to (now) 2.35 tires which has fixed it so far. It was taking deep scratches out the seat stay arch with those stupid Specialized Resolution balloon tires.
    [/SIZE]

...idios...
    It's easy to protect the underside or the fork arch, just tape it up...

archtape.jpg

I use electricians tape because it's cheap, flexible, easy to remove and very durable. I ride a lot of gravel, so as well as inner tube protection for the chainstays, I carry the tape on as far up as possible to protect from flying trail. I also have this piece of plastic (cut from the packaging of the Specialized Enduro mud flap that protects my shock) which keeps spray and muck away from the chainring and BB pivot bearings, but also helps to feed mud straight down and away from the frame..

pivotBH.jpg

I try to avoid riding in mud as much as possible, as much for the sake of the trail as for my bike, but as we all know, it's not always possible, especially here in the UK.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member

Yes, it is a niggle with the fork arch...

Yes, the triangular cut-outs formed in the front wheel fork arch often picks up & traps stones that are too large to again be released between tyre and the arch as the wheel continues to go round (or twigs similarly, for that matter).............Whilst not causing any real damage, it is an annoying re-occurrence, having to stop release debris, as it makes a loud rubbing noise on the knobbly tyre tread

For some reason, the front derailer on the SL seems particularly susceptible to catching mud, when compared to my previous bikes

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Very clever!
    Obviously I donít have the same ingenious mind as you, I never even though of taping my stumpy.

What are those tire you have there with the interesting tread pattern?
    [/SIZE]

...idios...
    "What are those tire you have there with the interesting tread pattern?"

They're Continental Petrol 2.5's, my 'town' tyres. They roll very quickly on pavement and the high volume makes them excellent for urban shenanigans. They're actually pretty decent on the trails so long as it's dry and not too loose. The 2.1 version is called the Leader, or there's a 2.3 called the Flow. My partner has just ordered the 2.1's for her Stumpy, so we'll see how they perform over the next few weeks (if it stops snowing/raining!).

If you're running a front derailleur, that plastic fender on the inside of chainstays will also keep the majority of mud and muck from the spring/body area, as well as the BB and pivot bearings.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Nice tires!
    Yes I do have a front derailleur but it seems to be OK at the mo with all the mud and I plan on replacing it with the 08 XT when the funds become available.

[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Helicopter Tape and inner tubes

Follow-up to SteveUK's advice;

For those that might not already be in the know; there is a guy on Ebay that sells Helicopter Tape in convenient widths & short lengths and at very cheap prices; the product is great

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1m-x-5cm-3M-He...QQcmdZViewItem

Length-ways-slit old inner tubes, wound tightly around and tethered with plastic cable-ties on the likes of chain-stays etc, works really well too...........Not sexy looking, but really robust

The photo below shows my Ellsworth Joker employing an inner tube applied in the manner mentioned above to good effect, in order to protect an odd-shaped rear arm/otherwise hard to protect with off-the-shelf purpose made chain-stay protectors
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lipps64; 01-03-2008 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member

Hmmmm Uk Mud!!

I did a loop around Cheddar Gorge on a 07 Stumpy before Christmas and the mud on one of the Bridleways (Read path across/up a field!!) was unreal. Impossible to ride and even pushing the bike the back wheel clogged up around the seat and chain stay pivots, having to stop every 100m or so just to free the back wheel to rotate. The clearance on the front fork was fine though. I'd had a set of tubeless Fast Trak Pro tyres, which are definitely the wrong tyres for the situation. Although I picked them up cheap at a close out.
    Cheddar Mud.JPG

Cheddar Mud 2.JPG
    07 Allez Elite
    07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    04 Hardrock Pro
    05 GT Tour BMX

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Thatís exactly what mine looked like after every muddy ride until I got new low profile tires.

Happy mudding.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]Thatís exactly what mine looked like after every muddy ride until I got new low profile tires.

Happy mudding.
    [/SIZE]
    The Fast Trak Tyres (26x2.0) are visually quite a bit smaller than the stock 26x2.0 resolutions that were on there despite being marked up as the same size. I've actually got a set of Conti 2.2 mountain kings Protection which were given to me as a Christmas present that are going on there next. So we'll see how they compare. I'm actually awaiting delivery of a compressor so I can try and mount them Tubeless (Going tubeless was the best thing I ever did, haven't had a puncture since and have recently converted my older bike to Ghetto Tubeless) Nothing like trying to fix a puncture when the wheel is covered in mud and the temp is freezing!!
    07 Allez Elite
    07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    04 Hardrock Pro
    05 GT Tour BMX

mtbr member
    The problem as I see it is that you don't have enough wetness with your mud. In the Pacific NW, it's SO WET that the bike gets 'rinsed off' as you ride too. Maybe I'll post a pic of mine after next ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nic92516
    I did a loop around Cheddar Gorge on a 07 Stumpy before Christmas and the mud on one of the Bridleways (Read path across/up a field!!) was unreal. Impossible to ride and even pushing the bike the back wheel clogged up around the seat and chain stay pivots, having to stop every 100m or so just to free the back wheel to rotate. The clearance on the front fork was fine though. I'd had a set of tubeless Fast Trak Pro tyres, which are definitely the wrong tyres for the situation. Although I picked them up cheap at a close out.
    Cheddar Mud.JPG

Cheddar Mud 2.JPG
    What you need are bontrager mud x tyres - they are a narrower profile and do not pick up as much mud, and they shed mud quickly - they're probably the best winter mud tyre. The resolution pros are pants in the mud.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Gticlay
    You are quite right about the mud here being to sticky and not wet enough to just drop of, we get allot of clay in the UK.
    [/SIZE]
    nic92516
    [SIZE=2]I donít know where in the UK you ride but if I tried tubeless tires I would get at least a puncture every other ride because of stupid Hawthorne hedges with huge 2 inch spikes,

Now I come to look closely your tires do look a bit smaller than my Resolution pro 2.0.

Tell us how the Mountain King 2.2 tires perform when youíve tried them, I saw them on a Marin the other day and though they looked very interesting.

[/SIZE]

The Other Dude
    try the huchinson spider tires, the clear mud VERY well, i have yet to have mine cake up, the clean very nice.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I have never tried the Spider tires but I have had a number of bad experiences with Hutchinson both were absolutely awful tires, I donít know if they have improved since I had the Scorpion tubeless and the Mosquito 2.3 but they were the worst tires ever.

I will of course be happy to try some if you send me a complementary set.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mud x's are suited to UK conditions - I ride my FSR on the South Downs - where the mud can be very sticky, mud x's shed well under these conditions. Leith Hill looks good!! I must try it sometime - however I'm laid up with a back problem at the mo.

mtbr member
    I've also found the amount of mud that clags up behind the front mech a bit of an issue at times. I ride loads in the North of England (Peaks, Lakes, Pennines, etc). TBH main issues I've had were the brakes and the front hub. The maguras just kept clogging and then not returning so causing bad brakes drag. Now got Hope 4's on and the bearing in the front hub are in the process of dissintegrating after 4 months. Bit crap. I have the 08 cart's in the fork but the compression seems a bit over damped even on the wound out setting. I love my bike but am annoyed at the silly issues Specialized should have sorted before I spent my money with them.

ps.....25mm hub. WHAT A FOOKIN STUPID IDEA. How am I supposed to upgrade!???[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    "for a hill they would kill why, they do not know"

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Nice! But if you have enough mud to clog your brakes I would have thought the tires would be the first to go, I suppose it depends on what type of mud you are in, not that I don't like Hope brakes, [SIZE=2]I think theyíre great.
    [/SIZE]
    I see your another fan of the SDG Bel-Air saddleís, yours looks like it has received a good bit of use.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Itīs simple,the issue with the upgrading.
    Just upgrade the fork to a 36 Talas or something similar. Then upgrade to a different wheel and be happy.

no seriously, nice bike!!

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]Nice! But if you have enough mud to clog your brakes I would have thought the tires would be the first to go, I suppose it depends on what type of mud you are in, not that I don't like Hope brakes, [SIZE=2]I think theyíre great.
    [/SIZE]
    I see your another fan of the SDG Bel-Air saddleís, yours looks like it has received a good bit of use.
    [/SIZE]
    Tires are great....even in mud. It was definatly a poor brake sdesign issue. The mud was forcing the pads away from the piston heads (they are magnatised) then getting in behind the pads. Hope designes are much better. Yea SDG Bel Air saddles are so suited to my bum shape and indeed what was a camo design is now ' British Mud Brown' all over.
    "for a hill they would kill why, they do not know"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast