Thread: It's arrived!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

... and if we just ... It's arrived!

Finally picked up my new ride this afternoon, a 2007 FSR XC Pro.

The bike's been in the shop for about two weeks but I had to wait for my "ride to work" voucher to come through the post... torture, as the weather has been superb for most of that time Still, can't complain too much as I'm getting the bike for half price, give or take (1299 list price, cut to 999 in the sale, minus another 35% in tax rebate through the ride to work scheme).

Took it out as soon as I got home and wow! Up to now I've been riding a 1992 fully rigid GT Karakoram. Things have moved on a bit since then. Only slight problem, this is my first bike with SPDs and my first (and so far only) "clipless moment" found a patch of brambles

Can't wait till the morning, mate's coming round early doors for a proper ride

mtbr member
    Bob, come on man you're killing me here! We need pics of your new ride. Alot has changed in the last 16 years in cycling huh?

Let's see the new set-up, Fella

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the 07 pro is specced out nicely with the reba and triad, cool bike, congratulations, be careful with the SPDs ive had too many crashes with them i cant remember at this stage, grr

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My girlfriend has borrowed my proper camera to go skiing so I've only got a crappy old one to use right now, but it'll give you an idea...

The old commuter-ised GT (love that 90s paint job!)...

and the new ride...

You'll see from the old bike I'm used to having my seat pretty high. I was torn between getting a medium or a large frame (I'm 5'10") but went for the medium. I think that's the right choice but I feel like the saddle is a bit low even with the post up to its maximum height - like my legs can't fully extend - so I might get a longer post. It's quite interesting comparing those two pics - I hadn't realised how low and far forward I have the bars on the old bike!

One thing that is going to take some getting used to: climbing! That old GT, even with a semi-slick commuting tyre on the back and a heavy rack, climbs like a mountain goat. I took it out last week and was powering past people on 3-grand bikes up the hills as they gave up and hiked. I wondered if maybe I was just super fit, but no... going up some of the same hills this morning I still really struggled, even with the Triad locked out.

But I am well pleased with it - everything feels so tight and new and solid, not like the creaks and squeaks on the old one that won't go away whatever I do to it. And no clipless moments this morning either, although a couple of close calls

The GT will still have a place in my heart though, I'm not getting rid just yet
    Last edited by Bob77; 02-23-2008 at 05:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the paint on the GT reminds me of my old GT performer. it used the same color green/yellow with the black platters everywhere.

i also have an 07 fsr xc. i didnt get the higher one though because im a mod freak and i didnt see the point in paying for parts that im going to take off anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i think because the new bike is so different you struggled with climbing, perhaps you just have to adjust, i found my xc to be a pretty good climber.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by superspec
    the paint on the GT reminds me of my old GT performer. it used the same color green/yellow with the black platters everywhere.
    Yeah I thought it was the business when I bought it aged 15... saved up for ages from my paper round (showing my age now).

I think the colour was called "Tequila Sunrise" When's the big neon fashion revival due, anyway?

@ superspec... as a mod freak, what would be the first thing to upgrade on a stock xc pro? (When I have some cash that is...)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im not sure what the specs on the pro are but on mine it came with rim brakes. i had just bought some juicy 7s 2 weeks earlier so that was the first thing i did. the next thing i do is a CK/mavic 717 wheelset. drivetrain and diet will come later this year.

i have a hard time leaving anything stock so it usually makes sense to me to buy a lower model and upgrade.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    These are the specs c&p'd off Google:

Frame: FSR M4 butted frame with ORE downtube, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, two sets of water bottle bosses, disc only, 100mm travel, Fox Triad rear shock, custom on-the-fly 3-position switch 1) lock out 2) Open 3) ProPedal pedal assisting damping, adjustable rebound

Fork: Rock Shox Reba SL, 100mm, air spring, lock out, external rebound adjust, alloy steerer

Gears: 27 Speed, Shimano LX [F], SRAM X-9 [R]

Shifter: SRAM SX-5 trigger

Wheels: Mavic X117 Disc rims, Specialized disc front hub, Shimano M-475L disc rear hub, Specialized Resolution tyres

Brakes: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes

Crankset: Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline

Extra Features: Protective clear coat, derailleur hanger, reflectors, owners manual, Specialized BG MTB saddle, 2014 butted alloy seatpost, Shimano 505 SPD pedals, Specialized XC low rise 31.8mm oversize handlebar, Specialized adjustable rise stem, 1 1/8 threadless headset

mtbr member
    May 2005

5'10 med.?

Bob, not to bring you down. But at 5'10 you're on the edge of being to big for that bike. I'm 5'10 and ride a LG "04 Stumpy FSR.

mtbr member
    Hmmmmm, its a tough one fsr4000, i always err on the side of caution and ride a med and im 5'10''. But you could be right, spesh bikes do vary quite a lot. A med stump fsr is way too small for me but the enduro sl is perfect as a med. Dont know how a fsr pro measures up. But hey, that is a nice looking bike bob hope you enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fsr4000
    Bob, not to bring you down. But at 5'10 you're on the edge of being to big for that bike. I'm 5'10 and ride a LG "04 Stumpy FSR.
    Like I said I was torn between the two. I rode a friend's large Spesh and it felt a bit too big so I went for the medium. My bike shop said if in doubt, go smaller, and the medium felt fine. Ideally I'd have liked to try both side by side but I had to order fast to get the bike at the price.

The reach to the bars doesn't feel cramped at all, but I could do with a fraction more height on the saddle, so I reckon a longer seatpost is all that's needed... I can get the seat to the perfect height but the post ends half an inch above the hole in the frame and I don't want to risk it!

FWIW the Specialized sizing chart I saw suggested 5'7 - 5'10 = medium, 5'10 to 6'1 = large. So right on the borderline as you say. Sizing and geometry have changed so much since I last bought an MTB though, so it's hard to know (check out the horizontal top tube on the GT!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fsr4000

Man, I dont know how much I can preach on this one. Proper fit isn't based on height, moreso on inseam. If your say, 5'11 or 6 foot, what good is a Large when your inseam doesn't fit the frame? I have both a medium and a Large Epic, and I prefer the medium over the Large, and i'm 5'10 and some, and I have a 31'' inseam. It goes both ways. Many things to look at besides height.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolm4
    I prefer the medium over the Large, and i'm 5'10 and some, and I have a 31'' inseam.
    Mine is 32". What's weird is that I can put the two bikes side by side and the saddle is the same height (as you can see if you look at the photos and line it up against the panels on the shed!) yet it just "feels" lower on the Spesh. Maybe something to do with not being used to the suspension, even though obviously that doesn't affect the height to the pedals. Or even the extra thickness of SPD shoes? I don't think the crank length is different

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob77
    Mine is 32". What's weird is that I can put the two bikes side by side and the saddle is the same height (as you can see if you look at the photos and line it up against the panels on the shed!) yet it just "feels" lower on the Spesh. Maybe something to do with not being used to the suspension, even though obviously that doesn't affect the height to the pedals. Or even the extra thickness of SPD shoes? I don't think the crank length is different

Haha, I didn't notice that before! I think it feels lower because its pretty close to the same height as your bars. Opposed to your GT, where your bars are lower. I'd move the spacers around and see how you like it.
    Livin' the dream.