mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Interested in a shorter handlebar stem

I have a 2000 Hardrock that I've been riding since new. The bike is actually slightly too large for me - it's a 19" and I'm 5'8". I'm wondering about getting a shorter stem to bring the bar a little closer. Anyone know what I need to look for? Looks like this handlebar isn't nearly as thick as the newer ones, what size stem would I be looking for, never looked into this before. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

If I can't find anything, it won't be a big deal. Getting ready to finally replace it with a new bike soon, so this one might be sold at some point. But if it's inexpensive to do this, I might, just so the last couple of months of riding are a little less painful on my shoulders and arms.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    bump..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I went through the same ordeal with two of my bikes. One is slightly too small, the other slightly too large. I went to my LBS and asked them about it and they have this adjustable stem they use for fitting. Basically they install it on your bike, get it where it needs to be and then read length and rise measurements off of it. These measurements are used to pick a suitable stem off the shelf.

I'm an odd sized rider and am right in between a 19" and 21" frame size so I always have to make a lot of adjustments when I get a bike. On my large bike (the situation that is similar to yours) I ended up with a shorter stem with slightly more rise. This brings the bars closer to the saddle and a bit higher up which "shrinks" the cockpit a bit and maintains proper KOPS. Sometimes you may also need a different bar to get everything perfect. If your bar is the smaller size, you can get spacers to make it fit a stem designed for the larger bars.

Here's a pic of the Salsa Fit Kit stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Tony, I'll check that out. Would be nice if it had more rise too, I hadn't thought of that.