Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyd66 View Post
    i dont jump much i have hit some drop offs and rocks around 2 -2 1/2 ft and it's fine. a good set of wheels will help out. my best advise is to either hit a demo day, test ride, or rent the bike for a day and test all of the bikes you are considering.
    Thanks,
    The only problem there is that the local shops are all very small and Don't have the selection of full suspensions, only epics
    West Texas is very XC oriented, but I like traveling and riding new places. So idk. Maybe a camber? Might still stick with the epic. We shall see!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrich88 View Post
    Thanks,
    The only problem there is that the local shops are all very small and Don't have the selection of full suspensions, only epics
    West Texas is very XC oriented, but I like traveling and riding new places. So idk. Maybe a camber? Might still stick with the epic. We shall see!
    While not on an Epic, I had a SJ with the 130mm Travel and I'm now on a 100mm Tallboy and I don't miss the travel. I will say, the TBc has a 120mm front fork, not 100mm so it is a little different.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrich88 View Post
    Thanks,
    Tyrich, my buddy lives in Denton Tx and i know that shop's in the Dallas area rent bikes so you could rent one for a day or 2 and see what you think. i test rode an 2012 Epic and Camber on the road and in the woods on an old gas pipeline along the interstate behind the shop i had went to and although it wasn't a ride on an actual trail i could tell that the Camber felt like a pig, tank which could be fun on the right trails but for me it is more of a "trail" bike than i was looking for. the Epic was fast but the test ride didn't sell me on the Epic. if i had ridden it on a trail then i would have bought it. so i decided on a SC TB. my buddy has one a talked me into it. i rode and raced it for 8 months and it was a real nice bike but it was a hair too big for me and i had a few minor issues happen with the bike so i sent it back and got the Epic. the Epic is more of a xc race bike than the Camber. so if your looking for a race bike i would say look at the Epic and the SC TB.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Tyrich, my buddy lives in Denton Tx and i know that shop's in the Dallas area rent bikes so you could rent one for a day or 2 and see what you think. i test rode an 2012 Epic and Camber on the road and in the woods on an old gas pipeline along the interstate behind the shop i had went to and although it wasn't a ride on an actual trail i could tell that the Camber felt like a pig, tank which could be fun on the right trails but for me it is more of a "trail" bike than i was looking for. the Epic was fast but the test ride didn't sell me on the Epic. if i had ridden it on a trail then i would have bought it. so i decided on a SC TB. my buddy has one a talked me into it. i rode and raced it for 8 months and it was a real nice bike but it was a hair too big for me and i had a few minor issues happen with the bike so i sent it back and got the Epic. the Epic is more of a xc race bike than the Camber. so if your looking for a race bike i would say look at the Epic and the SC TB.
    Sweet! So do you think the epic could handle the trail riding as well?
    Because I know it may be far fetched but I want a little of both in this bike purchase.
    I have a little bit of a bike crush on the stumpy fsr's but I feel like it would suck on the race track,
    I don't race often, but I would like something that could do it when I wanted to.
    If one bike could do that that is what I want to find out.
    Otherwise I may just get a trail bike and upgrade my hard tail to a race worthy set up.
    But, performance in both areas is the preferred method.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    And which shop did you go to? I've been to a couple shops in Dallas when I've been down there, but not while I was in the market for anew bike

mtbr member
    well you could get a Camber and make your HT your race bike. the stumpy is too much bike for xc racing IMO. i didn't test the bikes when i was in Dallas i tested them here in my town. if your thinking Specialized 100% i would find a shop that has an Epic, Camber and Stumpy and go talk to them and tell them what you are looking for and see if you can test them. im telling you a test ride is the best way to see what each one is about. in the last year i have traveled to TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, GA to ride and race and 100mm was enough for me and im 240lbs. the most i would go up to is 110mm.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    To make the the decision easier in my opinion, here's what you do with that $1100 you save
    2013 Specialized Control 29 Carbon Wheels for $1200 | Mountain Bike Review

Much better use of that money over a carbon front triangle. Wheels are the BEST place to loose weight first.
    Question on these wheels compared to a set of Mavic Crossmax SLR 29's recommended by my LBS.

Specialized are carbon, weigh 1580g, have DT Swiss hubs I believe, and a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects.

Mavics are aluminum, weigh 1620g, and have some kind of optional warranty against ANY kind of damage which puts them in the same price range.

The Specialized are new enough that I haven't read many long term reviews on them but the Mavics have had either great reviews or terrible. Most of the terrible reviews are about customer service and them standing behind their warranty.

And how about Stans rims or any other brand?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    Question on these wheels compared to a set of Mavic Crossmax SLR 29's recommended by my LBS.

Specialized are carbon, weigh 1580g, have DT Swiss hubs I believe, and a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects.

Mavics are aluminum, weigh 1620g, and have some kind of optional warranty against ANY kind of damage which puts them in the same price range.

The Specialized are new enough that I haven't read many long term reviews on them but the Mavics have had either great reviews or terrible. Most of the terrible reviews are about customer service and them standing behind their warranty.

And how about Stans rims or any other brand?
    I have not ridden carbon wheels, so I can't tell you. I can only comment based on what I've read. Carbon rims are not just about the weight, it's the increase stiffness at the same weight or lighter than alum.

My LBS is a Specialized dealer also, they always have 20-20% off sales, so I'm hoping to have the money by the time the next one comes along. At around $950 I think I'll have to give them a try.

The hub internals are DTSwiss, the other Roval carbon rims have been out a while and have good reviews along with good comments on the warranty when needed. While it's not a long term review, Francois first look review is enough for me to give them a try.

I looked into getting DTSwiss with the Cheap Chinese carbon rims built; it was going to cost more than these Specialized on sale, so for me it seems like a no brainer.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Update, if anyone is still interested. Didn't get as much back on taxes as I had hoped (had to pay actually) so the Epic has been postponed. $3,000+ bike just isn't in the cards at this time.

So now I'm going to look at a 07 Stumpjumper Expert with some mods. It will get me back on the trails for now and allow me to save up for the Epic I really want.

The EXACT Epic I want is on eBay right now, but out of my reach at the moment.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that. I ended up getting a used, "almost new" (not really, but that's another story), 2012 S-Works carbon hardtail after riding my buddy's 2011 Stumpy carbon HT. I missed the excellent climbing ability of a hardtail and was willing to sacrifice some ride for efficiency over a FS. Sold my Trek Top Fuel for a decent price and was thrilled to do so.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

NedwannaB

Kind of a late bump!

Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    Update, if anyone is still interested. Didn't get as much back on taxes as I had hoped (had to pay actually) so the Epic has been postponed. $3,000+ bike just isn't in the cards at this time.

So now I'm going to look at a 07 Stumpjumper Expert with some mods. It will get me back on the trails for now and allow me to save up for the Epic I really want.

The EXACT Epic I want is on eBay right now, but out of my reach at the moment.
    Bummer on you missing out getting an Epic at this time. Maybe a used one in good condition sometime in the future?

On a lighter note, this is one of the threads that has been very helpfull! In doing research on my own for sometime, I have confirmed and narrowed down my choice to getting a silver '13 Comp and upgrade with the less expensive Roval Control Carbon wheelset for ~ the list price. Adding those, along with going tubeless with the SWorks tires,carbon bars/seatpost/seat I already have should lighten things up more than adequately. Now to sell a couple items from my quiver to consolidate and have an all-round Trail/XC/Epic machine!
    Last edited by JMac47; 04-01-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi Epic owners. Im planning on buying Epic Comp carbon 2013 in size XL. That would be my first mountain bike. I have ridden road cycles for several years and just wanted have some new inspiration with that bike.
    Im quite tall so I wanted t ask if there is other tall Epic riders around here? Im 6ft 4 and my inseam is 38". Is that big enough for me or should I seek some other bike?

mtbr member

Input on a possible 2013 Epic purchase

I'm 6'2 with a 34 inseam and I ride an xl but could ride a large so you should be fine
    2013 Epic Comp 29er
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2011 Langster
    2011 Roubaix

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by finbike View Post
    Hi Epic owners. Im planning on buying Epic Comp carbon 2013 in size XL. That would be my first mountain bike. I have ridden road cycles for several years and just wanted have some new inspiration with that bike.
    Im quite tall so I wanted t ask if there is other tall Epic riders around here? Im 6ft 4 and my inseam is 38". Is that big enough for me or should I seek some other bike?
    I'm an inch shorter and own exact bike you are looking for. It works for me perfect. With that said, fitting bikes is almost impossible on a message board, so I'd talk to your shop. Even if they don't have the exact bike, I'm pretty sure every Epic shares the same geometry, so getting on any XL Epic should tell you if it will work for you or not. The Comp Carbon's a great ride. I've done a few upgrades, but most of them were done because I had nice stuff sitting in the parts bin. Only major one I've done is wheel set... thats on the way!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Okay, thanks guys. Thats a relief to hear. That bike Im planning on buying has been laying around in one athletes storage room, because hes couch dont let him drive it. Practically the bike is new, but I should get it in good price. Thats why I was interested on sizing.
    Cant wait to buy it..

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Pulled the trigger on the black and green '13 Epic Comp last week. I went by today to check it out and they were waiting for the Ground Controls to come in that I wanted to swap to. Also dropping the XL's 110mm stem to the 90. They are setting it up tubeless out of the gate. I can't wait!
    '13 Epic Comp 29
    '12 Sirrus Comp
    '11 Stumpjumper Comp 29
    '07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '04 Rockhopper

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4