Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Seat stays on the Expert are carbon. And I have yet to see a 22lbs TB even tho it is "All carbon".
    sorry but not true. the seat says on the expert carbon are actually the m5 alloy.

is it possible to buy the rear triangle seperatly? obiously it would make sense to just buy the marathon or sworks with the carbon rear but didn't know if just the rear was kinda of affordable( at least to carbon standards of affordable)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    That's a badass looking machine. I love that color but I wish they offered a different choice in the Comp Carbon, just because everyone who buys that is stuck with the exact same color.

This group of guys that are all buying Epics are having troubles deciding which colors to get. We all like the black but we don't want to have the same exact bikes as each other. We're not against the silver, which leaves us with those two options. The red isn't available right now.
    That bike is the Comp Carbon, which looks very similar to the black comp except it is matte black and a more yellowish green.

I'm hard pressed to believe that someone can feel the difference between an aluminum and carbon fiber rear triangle on a full suspension bike. I would think that in between the shock and the flex in the bearings and pivots would be more noticeable than the material. What do I know though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    is it possible to buy the rear triangle seperatly? obiously it would make sense to just buy the marathon or sworks with the carbon rear but didn't know if just the rear was kinda of affordable( at least to carbon standards of affordable)
    AFIK the only way to get the carbon triangle is to buy the S-Works frame set, or one of the bikes that come with it. I've found no information on just the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have heard that you can order the carbon rear triangle replacement through a speci dealer (this was not advertised, but a work around from a shop employee trying to do the same thing), but this was last year, not sure if that is still valid. Everyone (for the most part) is making good arguments in favor of both sides, so I might as well put my $.02 in the pot as well. I'm primarily a road racer, ride mtb in the off season and to mix it up with a few xc races a year. I was debating between the various epic models as well, with a very race and high-end oriented shop that I purchased it from. I ended up with the 2012 epic comp over the comp carbon. The expert was too much money, and I didn't care much for the brain fork anyways. I ended up swapping the wheels to Stan's crests, tubeless, new xt pedals, cut the bars down a bit, and put esi grips on, and I'm already down around 26.5lbs in a size medium. Next upgrades are cassette, post, bars, and stem, but I can do that over time when I find the "right" deals.

The way I saw it was the carbon comp was around .75lbs lighter or whatever it was for $1100 more, and I was going to want to upgrade the wheels in either case. I could see that if this is going to a long term, weight conscious project, the carbon front triangle will pay off, because that weight will eventually come into play after you upgrade everything else. But if you're not a big WW, hardcore racer, "look at mine", upgrade happy, or only plan on having the bike for a few years, I personally didn't think it was worth the extra dough. For less than I would have spent on the carbon comp, I know have a bike lighter than the stock carbon comp.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    To make the the decision easier in my opinion, here's what you do with that $1100 you save
    2013 Specialized Control 29 Carbon Wheels for $1200 | Mountain Bike Review

Much better use of that money over a carbon front triangle. Wheels are the BEST place to loose weight first.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I always think to get a i9 wheelset for this value.. Its so cool, colored and tough

Later do you can get some cheap chinese carbon rims to attached in these hubs and aluminum spokes
    Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

mtbr member
    i bought my 2013 Epic comp size medium (im 5'10) 2 weeks ago for $3000. it came out the box @ 27 lbs. i added xt brake's, ground control tire's f/r tubeless, and Ergon GA1 Evo grips and it comes in @ 28. i had a 2012 SC Tallboy al in a large and felt it was to big. it rode great but the Epic blows it away.
    Last edited by heavyd66; 12-12-2012 at 06:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    To make the the decision easier in my opinion, here's what you do with that $1100 you save
    2013 Specialized Control 29 Carbon Wheels for $1200 | Mountain Bike Review

Much better use of that money over a carbon front triangle. Wheels are the BEST place to loose weight first.
    This is exactly my plan.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyd66 View Post
    i bought my 2013 Epic comp size medium (im 5'10) 2 weeks ago for $3000. it came out the box @ 27 lbs. i added xt brake's, ground control tire's f/r tubeless, and Ergon GA1 Evo grips and it comes in @ 28. i had a 2012 SC Tallboy al in a large and felt it was to big. it rode great but the Epic blows it away.
    So you're comparing the way a bike that didn't fit rode to a bike that does fit
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ftajiri View Post
    I always think to get a i9 wheelset for this value.. Its so cool, colored and tough

Later do you can get some cheap chinese carbon rims to attached in these hubs and aluminum spokes
    I9 are nice but more bling. Why spend I9 kind of money, then throw those cheap carbon rims on them later? Go straight for carbon wheels for the same price. The spec wheels have DT Swiss internals and limited lifetime warranty. No emailing china hoping they warranty the rim and paying shipping.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyd66 View Post
    that is weird that the sc tallboy was to big cause i looked at the frame geometry and it looks like that is the medium/large frame size most specialized epic owners that are your height( i am also 5'10) have been looking for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I9 are nice but more bling. Why spend I9 kind of money, then throw those cheap carbon rims on them later? Go straight for carbon wheels for the same price. The spec wheels have DT Swiss internals and limited lifetime warranty. No emailing china hoping they warranty the rim and paying shipping.
    Chinese are not do bad :P talking serious: i9 stock is a tremendous wheelset, but carbon roval is a good business.. I9 with reynolds costs more 2500 for almost weight of roval... Is more racional

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, two out of the group of five have either ordered bikes or picked up already. I'm still trying to gather the funds for mine. Good thing is, one got a large and one got a medium, so I'll be able to try both sizes and see which one fits best.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you are willing to spend the money on the carbon then buy the aluminum. I am sure that I will recieve much hate about this, but instead of spending an extra $1100 on the carbon frame purchase a set of Roval Control carbon wheels for $1100 also. This will not only lower the overall weight of the bike to about the weight of the carbon, but it will also decrease the rotational weight of the wheels. Rotational weight is where you should put your money, because the heavier the tires and rims, the more weight you much put into motion. Using more of your own energy and making the bike feel heavier. Rotational weight is more noticeable than overall weight. By putting the carbon wheels on the aluminum bike, you will make the aluminum bike feel much lighter than the carbon for the same price.
    2011 Specialized Stump jumper Comp

Happy Trails
    I'm about to pick up a full-bling carbon full-suspension, but I think if the money is important to you, get the aluminum frame. On the other hand, if you can afford it .... I've never heard anyone say "I wish I'd bought a little less bike"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Is there a complete list of all the weights of all the 2013 Epic 29ers somewhere?

I have a 2011 Comp and I thinking of upgrading to a carbon model or do a build with an s works frame set. I would prefer to buy a 2013 complete carbon bike and switch over my trail SLs.
    '11 - Epic Comp 29er - Size M
    Weight - 26 lbs 14 ozs
    Mods - Trail SLs, XT Cassette, ESI Foam Grips, Candy 1, EC90

mtbr member
    May 2008

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thank you!
    '11 - Epic Comp 29er - Size M
    Weight - 26 lbs 14 ozs
    Mods - Trail SLs, XT Cassette, ESI Foam Grips, Candy 1, EC90

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    I'm about to pick up a full-bling carbon full-suspension, but I think if the money is important to you, get the aluminum frame. On the other hand, if you can afford it .... I've never heard anyone say "I wish I'd bought a little less bike"
    True, but when $1100 only gets you a carbon front triangle, there are better places to spend that money like the carbon wheel set mentioned.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper782 View Post
    If you are willing to spend the money on the carbon then buy the aluminum. I am sure that I will recieve much hate about this, but instead of spending an extra $1100 on the carbon frame purchase a set of Roval Control carbon wheels for $1100 also. This will not only lower the overall weight of the bike to about the weight of the carbon, but it will also decrease the rotational weight of the wheels. Rotational weight is where you should put your money, because the heavier the tires and rims, the more weight you much put into motion. Using more of your own energy and making the bike feel heavier. Rotational weight is more noticeable than overall weight. By putting the carbon wheels on the aluminum bike, you will make the aluminum bike feel much lighter than the carbon for the same price.
    This is my plan, now that they've released the less expensive carbon 29 wheel set. After the holidays, I should have the money to put down. I hope they have some left by then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So how does the epic and its 100mm travel handle a little air time?
    Anyone had problems with bottoming out suspension or anything?
    I kind of want a stumpy fsr but for where I live it's a little too much bike
    I like racing too and also find myself airborn a little more than my old XC wheel set should have been (rip) but an epic with some control trails might do alright? Idk...
    Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    sorry but not true. the seat says on the expert carbon are actually the m5 alloy.

Condidering I own one. I should know it is carbon. How about you use the googles.

ITs the 1st bullet point.

Specialized Bicycle Components
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Condidering I own one. I should know it is carbon. How about you use the googles.

ITs the 1st bullet point.

Specialized Bicycle Components
    Considering you own one you should know to mention it was a Evo which you didn't do so I was right in saying the epic expert carbon does not have carbon stays

mtbr member
    So you're comparing the way a bike that didn't fit rode to a bike that does fit
    that is weird that the sc tallboy was to big cause i looked at the frame geometry and it looks like that is the medium/large frame size most specialized epic owners that are your height( i am also 5'10) have been looking for.
    the TB felt like i was on top of the bike and the Epic i feel more "in" the bike. the Epic is more responsive, tight,quick, like it's on rails. it rides different than the TB. i bought the TB from Competitive Cyclist and i did the fit calculator and it said i was in between sizes so i called them 2 times and spoke to 2 different guys and both told me that i was in between sizes and to go with the large. i really liked the TB but i like the Epic more. is it because of the size difference? i dont think i can say100% yes. i truly feel it rides different. i would tell anyone looking for a bike to TEST RIDE all of the bikes they are looking at and if you are like me and in between size guy to try both sizes and see what feels best to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrich88 View Post
    So how does the epic and its 100mm travel handle a little air time?
    Anyone had problems with bottoming out suspension or anything?
    I kind of want a stumpy fsr but for where I live it's a little too much bike
    I like racing too and also find myself airborn a little more than my old XC wheel set should have been (rip) but an epic with some control trails might do alright? Idk...
    Thoughts?
    i dont jump much i have hit some drop offs and rocks around 2 -2 1/2 ft and it's fine. a good set of wheels will help out. my best advise is to either hit a demo day, test ride, or rent the bike for a day and test all of the bikes you are considering.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast