Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ftajiri View Post
    Epic comp to comp carbon - 1000bucks
    Epic comp carbon to expert - 1900bucks
    Epic comp al to expert - 2700 bucks

Brain cartridge for reba costs 250 bucks to conversion and rest 2450 to spent with other ups

Aluminum doenst have the same glamour of carbon but do you able to build a lightweight race machine without fear of abrasions or pontuctures on the frame

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab
    I wasn't aware you could upgrade the Reba to the Brain. This is excellent news.

So, how does this sound. And I'm not set on any of this, it's just what I've quickly gathered from the forum.
    Epic Comp 29 with upgraded front fork, Roval Control Carbon 29 wheelset running tubeless, carbon bars, carbon seat post and misc lighter things like grips and seat post clamp. I should be able to do that for in between the expert and Comp Carbon and be lighter right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Derbycycles on google.. They make the "brain transplant"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just make sure you like the brain in the forks first before you start fiddling,i was going to get it put in mine but after riding my bro's expert i decided against it,didn't like it climbing steep rocky sections.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Another option more reliable is rct3 cartridge from rockshox cost about 100usd and has platform mode like a fox rlc... I think if the brain was harsh in front is harsh as rear, rct3 is best choice... The brain works with inertia valve fast with effective lockout but harsh or slow valve with bob on climbings... It is a characheristic of the shock... The other bikes as stumpjumper fsr, camber works fine with rp23, monarch, ctd etc...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    I wasn't aware you could upgrade the Reba to the Brain. This is excellent news.

So, how does this sound. And I'm not set on any of this, it's just what I've quickly gathered from the forum.
    Epic Comp 29 with upgraded front fork, Roval Control Carbon 29 wheelset running tubeless, carbon bars, carbon seat post and misc lighter things like grips and seat post clamp. I should be able to do that for in between the expert and Comp Carbon and be lighter right?
    Make sure that you like the brain in the fork before you upgrade. $250 is a lot of money for something that you may not like. I demoed an Sworks last spring and I didn't like the brain fork. Right now I am running the fork stock and I am not really missing any type of lockout. If I have a long climb then I will reach down while riding and lock it out and before I start the downhill I will flip it back. Maybe slows me down half a second or so in a race. Not that big of a deal really. For the most part I like to ride with my fork fairly firm so I rarely need to lock it out. I have a remote lockout on my hardtail and it is nice, and I thought about upgrading my epic with one, but for the most part I don't miss it too much. I would just optimize your shock set up so that you are happy with it for 90%+ of your riding and then think about if you really need the brain or lockout. In my experience a properly tuned and set up shock dismisses the need for a brain or lock out.

The stock seatpost clamp is a simple bolt clamp and came in at 17 grams. You are not going to save a lot of weight there.

I lost 366 grams off of my bike for $400 by going to ESI chunky grips, Easton EC70 wide bars, Ritchey Superlogic post, and a Fizik Tundra 2 carbon railed saddle. The stock cassette is also a tank. I have yet to upgrade that as I am playing with the idea of going XX1 in a year or so after people have had time to review it. I have my bike down to the low 25's with pedals and real tires (Racing Ralph SS 2.25)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    Make sure that you like the brain in the fork before you upgrade. $250 is a lot of money for something that you may not like. I demoed an Sworks last spring and I didn't like the brain fork. Right now I am running the fork stock and I am not really missing any type of lockout. If I have a long climb then I will reach down while riding and lock it out and before I start the downhill I will flip it back. Maybe slows me down half a second or so in a race. Not that big of a deal really. For the most part I like to ride with my fork fairly firm so I rarely need to lock it out. I have a remote lockout on my hardtail and it is nice, and I thought about upgrading my epic with one, but for the most part I don't miss it too much. I would just optimize your shock set up so that you are happy with it for 90%+ of your riding and then think about if you really need the brain or lockout. In my experience a properly tuned and set up shock dismisses the need for a brain or lock out.

The stock seatpost clamp is a simple bolt clamp and came in at 17 grams. You are not going to save a lot of weight there.

I lost 366 grams off of my bike for $400 by going to ESI chunky grips, Easton EC70 wide bars, Ritchey Superlogic post, and a Fizik Tundra 2 carbon railed saddle. The stock cassette is also a tank. I have yet to upgrade that as I am playing with the idea of going XX1 in a year or so after people have had time to review it. I have my bike down to the low 25's with pedals and real tires (Racing Ralph SS 2.25)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce219 View Post
    Just make sure you like the brain in the forks first before you start fiddling,i was going to get it put in mine but after riding my bro's expert i decided against it,didn't like it climbing steep rocky sections.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftajiri View Post
    Another option more reliable is rct3 cartridge from rockshox cost about 100usd and has platform mode like a fox rlc... I think if the brain was harsh in front is harsh as rear, rct3 is best choice... The brain works with inertia valve fast with effective lockout but harsh or slow valve with bob on climbings... It is a characheristic of the shock... The other bikes as stumpjumper fsr, camber works fine with rp23, monarch, ctd etc...

Thanks for all the info! I should be finding out about the price on the bike in the next day or so.

I've also been eyeballing a used Epic Expert Carbon 29 with lots of up grades but it looks like it's been ridden pretty hard. I'm afraid of getting into something like that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Is it this one?
    2011 Specialized epic 29 large - For Sale - STLBiking Cycling Community

If so then yea, it has been ridden about as hard as can be. The owner is a bike mechanic so it should be pretty well maintained.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is it this one?
    2011 Specialized epic 29 large - For Sale - STLBiking Cycling Community

If so then yea, it has been ridden about as hard as can be. The owner is a bike mechanic so it should be pretty well maintained.
    Nope. I'd actually feel more comfortable if it were local and I could have it checked out first.
    This one was on eBay. 2013 Specialized Epic Expert 29er Upgraded Wheels | eBay

mtbr member
    I continue to be amazed at the lack of descriptions from most sellers who put their bikes on eBay.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Go ahead and shoot the guy in STL an email and see if he still has the bike. He has won multiple races in the area on that bike.

I thought about going ebay, but the problem with a used bike is that the warranty is not transferable. That may or may not be important to you. Say 9 years from now the frame cracks (not from a crash). Then Specialized will hook you up with a new frame/bike that is comparable to the one you purchased. I don't know if you can do crash replacement with a used frame either. Crash replacement is where you pay more or less the shops price on a frame if you were to break it. If you are planning on keeping the bike for 10 plus years it can definitely pay for itself. If you are planning on moving the bike in a couple years then it doesn't matter so much.

What I found is that a shop will usually work out a deal for you that isn't too far off from ebay prices.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Go ahead and shoot the guy in STL an email and see if he still has the bike. He has won multiple races in the area on that bike.

I thought about going ebay, but the problem with a used bike is that the warranty is not transferable. That may or may not be important to you. Say 9 years from now the frame cracks (not from a crash). Then Specialized will hook you up with a new frame/bike that is comparable to the one you purchased. I don't know if you can do crash replacement with a used frame either. Crash replacement is where you pay more or less the shops price on a frame if you were to break it. If you are planning on keeping the bike for 10 plus years it can definitely pay for itself. If you are planning on moving the bike in a couple years then it doesn't matter so much.

What I found is that a shop will usually work out a deal for you that isn't too far off from ebay prices.
    I thought I saw that shop guys Epic on Craigslist last week but it's gone now.

This was another reason I'm not comfortable with used/eBay bikes. I've heard so many great things about Specialized warranty and how good they are about upgrading you.

I tend to hang on too things like my bikes for a long time. The bike this is replacing is a 1999 model. So I don't plan on getting rid of this new bike any time soon. A warranty would be well worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I would be very wary of buying that expert due to the fact that the seller
    Has no feedback.very risky with that much money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I personally think that ebay bike color choice is fuggly. Here is mine http://i47.tinypic.com/efgtpg.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My buddy with alloy Epic drools on my carbon epic every time we ride. Get the carbon its lighter, stiffer and has the wow factor.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If you have never had a carbon bike I would try it. I am doing the same thing. Giving carbon a try and then I will know if it is worth it in the future. Only problem may be in 2 or 3 years they may not even offer an alum epic.

How come there isn't a alum frame only option?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Go Carbon. It is stiffer and more compfortable to ride. I used to have both and definetely prefer the Carbon Frame. .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd agree with Bruce, the no feed back combined with 2 different rims, sound he may have thrown on what he had laying around on it or bought some cheap 2nd hand wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    My buddy with alloy Epic drools on my carbon epic every time we ride. Get the carbon its lighter, stiffer and has the wow factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkinho View Post
    Go Carbon. It is stiffer and more compfortable to ride. I used to have both and definetely prefer the Carbon Frame. .
    I love all the go carbon, stiffer better ride. Unless you're getting a full carbon frame why bother? Where are most of the stress and flex? Rear chain and seat stays which are still aluminium. Save the money and make worthwhile upgrades.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It didn't sell and he relisted it at a lower price now.

But yes, with no feedback and it being out of state where I couldn't look at it first, I'll pass. If it is legit, that's one hell of a deal though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I'd agree with Bruce, the no feed back combined with 2 different rims, sound he may have thrown on what he had laying around on it or bought some cheap 2nd hand wheels.

I love all the go carbon, stiffer better ride. Unless you're getting a full carbon frame why bother? Where are most of the stress and flex? Rear chain and seat stays which are still aluminium. Save the money and make worthwhile upgrades.
    Seat stays on the Expert are carbon. And I have yet to see a 22lbs TB even tho it is "All carbon".
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Seat stays on the Expert are carbon.
    I think he was talking about my original question of going with the Comp Carbon over the Comp. I can't afford an Expert and it would be a waste of money on someone with my skill level.

Right now the plan is to just get the Comp 29 and upgrade the wheelset, sprocket, and misc small things. We're working on a group purchase of 4-5 bikes at once so it's taking some time to put it together.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You will definetely feel it at the bottom bracket, that,s where you will feel the difference, less in the rear part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Seat stays on the Expert are carbon. And I have yet to see a 22lbs TB even tho it is "All carbon".
    OP wasn't asking about the expert was he? Second what does weight have to do with anything?

Notice my quotes? It's about stiffer, more comfortable to ride. so again he would only get 1/2 those benefits since only 1/2 the bike is carbon.

Trying answering the op instead of trying to start a pissing match.

BTW you need to look a little harder Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?
    Last edited by TwoTone; 12-11-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    BTW you need to look a little harder Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one?
    Now THAT'S light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
    I continue to be amazed at the lack of descriptions from most sellers who put their bikes on eBay.
    The closest thing to an upvote I can find.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I personally think that ebay bike color choice is fuggly. Here is mine http://i47.tinypic.com/efgtpg.jpg
    That's a badass looking machine. I love that color but I wish they offered a different choice in the Comp Carbon, just because everyone who buys that is stuck with the exact same color.

This group of guys that are all buying Epics are having troubles deciding which colors to get. We all like the black but we don't want to have the same exact bikes as each other. We're not against the silver, which leaves us with those two options. The red isn't available right now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast