mtbr member
    May 2007

Input needed on Brain fork

I am going to buy a Stumpy hardtail this winter and have to decide on the fork to use.
    I don't see any comments or reviews on the Brain equipped Rock Shox my LBS is pitching.
    Any comments???
    Input?
    Harrassment?
    Name calling?
    LS

mtbr member
    Let me guess, you're getting a Stumpy 29er?

There aren't many reviews because there are very few actually available so far, if any.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nope.No 29er here.
    Test rode one and it felt clumsy and fat like my wife.
    Felt like I was riding an elephant.The bike not my wife who is more like riding a rhino.
    I'm looking at the hardtail 26er frame and putting the XTR parts on it from My Epic and putting the stock parts back on the Epic.
    Now I need a fork.
    Guess I'll wait and see.
    Thanks
    LS

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    If your wife sees your post you can forget about your username for a while.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lickety Split
    Nope.No 29er here.
    Test rode one and it felt clumsy and fat like my wife.
    Felt like I was riding an elephant.The bike not my wife who is more like riding a rhino.
    I'm looking at the hardtail 26er frame and putting the XTR parts on it from My Epic and putting the stock parts back on the Epic.
    Now I need a fork.
    Guess I'll wait and see.
    Thanks
    LS
    That's what I get for ASSuming!

Sorry for the mistake. I thought the Rock Shox with brain internals were going on the 29er bikes for Specialized. I had no idea they were offering one for 26 in. wheelers.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Maybe I better have my new LBS mgr check on the 26 thing.
    It sure is an expensive fork.
    900 bills retail if bought seperately.
    My user name is why my loverly wifey can't catch me.
    She'd have to get her fatass off the couch and put down the bowl of Cheesy Poofs.
    LS

mtbr member
    Please let us know what you find out.

I don't know why Specialized would ask Rock Shox to offer a fork with the brain internals when they make their own (Futureshock). Specialized doesn't make a 29er fork which is why they've "partnered" with Rock Shox (who makes the Reba for 29er). Hence my confusion on the wheel size.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    LS, I owe you an apology. Specialized and Rock Shox are indeed offering 26" forks with the brain. I see there a few Epics that have a custom RS SID with brain internals.

I don't see any on the Stumpjumpers though. I guess that's why they're trying to talk you into the upgrade.

My bad.

You probably don't see any reviews because this could be a new thing they're doing with RS and nobody actually has one yet.

Both companies have pretty good reputations though and I know Specialized is pretty great with honoring warranties so I wouldn't hesitate on that front. I guess it comes down to whether a brain equiped fork is something you're really interested in. Personally I'm having second thoughts as I am kind of liking having control over when my fork is locked out.

Cheers!