mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Increasing travel on camber expert

I've got a Camber expert 2012 which has 120mm travel front and rear. The fox triad is pretty decent but considering going to a kashima coated rp23. If I went from a 200x50 to a 200x57 I presume this will increase the travel to 137mm (2.4 ratio). Anyone done this? Or know of any issues - The eye to eye will be the same so no fouling issues or geometry change. Wondering if anyone has done this and if so have you put a longer travel fork up front too?

P.s I know the warranty only covers 10% increase.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You might run into tire-frame clearance issues increasing the travel in the rear. Might be worth letting out all the air in the Triad and seeing how close to the frame the tire is under full compression/bottom out. Then you need to make the call on whether or not there will be room for the extra 17mm of suspension travel.

As for the fork, I say go for it. I've got a 2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc and increased the travel up front from 100mm to 120mm and haven't looked back. It did everything I wanted it to (slackened out the head tube angle from 70 degrees to 69 degrees and lengthened the wheel base) all of which add to stability when hammering the downhills. I haven't noticed any negative effects either.

For your Camber I'd say you could easily run a 140mm fork and if it feels like its too much you could always lower it to 135mm or 130mm.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think you might get seat stay bridge/seat tube contact.

official eMpTyBRain
    I would think that a shock with more travel could cause the upper suspension pivot to bottom out on the frame or bind up???

Adding a little travel up front should be OK.

Are you bottoming out on drops and jumps with your Camber as it is?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks guys.

I'm not bottoming out too much but I do run the shock quite firm. The main reason is the opportunity to get a kashima rp23 at a great price but its a 200x57. I think first thing is to let all air out the triad and check where everything sits. I assume that the seat stay bridge will be affected by the shock stroke I.e. 7mm more travel and the tire clearance will effectively move the extra 17mm?

official eMpTyBRain
    You don't like your Triad? I heard they were much improved now. I had a Kashima coated Fox shock. I did not notice enough of a difference to say "Uhh-Ahhh" and my RP23 does not lock out like the Triad does. I missed that about my RP3.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's my first full sus so I've not got anything to compare to - the bikes great so far and I don't lock the rear shock out much as the propedal's really decent. I figured the extra travel and the boost valve providing more progression might give a plusher ride but I gather this isn't your experience?

official eMpTyBRain
    First, I've never ridden a Camber but I've always been interested in them. I'm just say that IME, the "better" fox shock wasn't better enough for me to say, "wow, this is better".

Your milage may vary.

mtbr member
    On my wife's 2010 FSRxc (which became the camber) I swapped the stock x-fusion 7.5x1.75 shock for an RP2 7.5x2 shock. It increased travel to about 135 from 120mm. That was nearly 2 years ago and there have been zero issues other than a much better riding bike! If you remove the shock you can measure how much extra clearance your frame can handle. Most frames wont have any issues adding .5 inches of travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thats interesting - do you think the shock was the main factor for the better ride or the increased travel made more difference?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you're looking for something more plush you should take a look at the Stumpy.

mtbr member
    It is 100% due to the better valving of the new shock. Having a legit Propedal mode that works and a full open mode really opens the bike up. It rides much smoother and responds better on the trail. My wife doesnt jump much so the extra travel isn't really a factor.

I found the RP2 on ebay for Under $100, and the reducers needed were only a few bucks. Well worth the small investment.