View Poll Results: Did you know which crank came with you stumpjumper?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 43.75%
  • No

6 37.50%
  • Don't Care

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Important: Attention All 2005 Stumpjumper Owners

I couldn't delete or edit my original thread, so I'm creating a new one. I realized, that this issue affects more than just the expert model. This was the original thread: Attention: All 2005 Stumpjumper Fsr Expert Owners

Here's the issue:
    Some of the 2005 Stumpy's are supposed to come with this crankset: Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline, or at least this is what is says on their specs. If you look at the back of your crank arms, you will see a model numer which says FC-M540. These are not XT. They are not even LX. They are Deore.

Even though Specialized has the disclaimer about the "specs subject to change without notice," I feel that they have falsely advertised these specific bikes. So far, all the 2005 Stumpy's that are supposed to come with the XT cranks, that I have seen, actually have the Deore cranks.

Did anyone purchased the bike, new (2005 stumpy specified with XT cranks), and get something other than the FC-M540 crankset. Please check your bikes.
    Here is the link to the Specialized website: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBik...92w0c7x.j27006

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    dang....i'm glad i got the '06 then....sounds like a little bit of BS on their part.

mtbr member
    Just checked mine and -- -- - you're right.

Still trying to consider whether or not I care. .. . . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh
    Just checked mine and -- -- - you're right.

Still trying to consider whether or not I care. .. . . .
    Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... saying XT on there. This year's Deore level stuff has Octalink II spline, same as '03 XTs and LX. Older XTR uses Octalink1 splines, like the road stuff. The BBES30 is prolly not that much different than the XT BBES70 and 71. The XT BB was kinda heavy at like 260g, and I wouldn't be surprised if the new Deore was exactly the same thing. I'll bet the arms are not that dissimilar as well. Probably thicker and with steel rings, but plenty stiff and durable. If I was building a bike and didn't are about weight that much, I would consider a set.
    They are good quality cranks, but I have no ideal what justifies the XT label.

Just like what pimpbot was saying on the orginal thread, I agree with pimpbot that these are good cranks. Just the mere fact that I thought my bike came with XT cranks, is what really bugs me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    druid, i also forgot to mention to you that the deore cranks are worth like $70 compared to XT cranks, which is somewhere along the line of $200. Considering we, owners of stumpjumpers, paid a hefty price for these bikes, I know I would like my money's worth.

I feel that its a sin, on Specialized's behalf, to put anything below XT on the stumpy fsr level. If I paid under a thousand for my bike, then I would be more towards the "I really don't care," cuz I still would feel that I got my money's worth. I got my expert close to 2K....therefore, strictly on my behalf, I do care.
    Last edited by confuzshuz; 04-16-2006 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am quite happy overall with my 2005 SJ FSR Expert but somewhat concern with the issues regarding the crankset. Should I be concerned? What I could I expect from a better crank that I won't be getting with the current set-up on my bike? Does the crank make that much difference? Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I noticed the same thing couple of months back, with my 05 Enduro (frame 02-04). I've considered of buying the XT-set, so I'll e-mail Spec and see what they have to say about all this...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Joe, I think that you should only be concerned if you thought your bike came with the XT cranks. I did, that's why I made this thread.
    Believe me, I think the bike is great! I just feel that Specialized was a little shizety about the XT deal.

I emailed specialized and this is what I got: Original message I sent to Specialized: According to the archive, the 2005 stumpjumper fsr expert has the Custom Shimano Octalink XT spline crankset. Is this correct? If so, when I looked at my cranks on my stumpy, it says fc-m540, which is the model number for Deore cranksets. I have also noticed that the cranks on all the '05 stumpjumper fsr experts are all the same.

Response from Specialized:
    Response (Josh) - 04/17/2006 07:12 AM
    The crank is a Deore level crank with the XT octalink spline. It enables you to save some money on the crank because they weigh about same, but you can use the XT bb with them. Which is better quality. The Octalink spline has a shorter insertion than the LX or Deore, so make sure you use the correct bb when replacing.

thanks,
    Specialized

But then, does give me satisfaction? No.............
    Store websites say that it is XT. I still thought that I had gotten the bike with XT cranks. I also believe that websites get their information from Specialized. Look at these links.....They are from different stores, but all have the same description saying that they are XT cranks.
    http://citybikes.com/itemdetails.cfm...gId=39&id=2645
    http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=3156
    Last edited by confuzshuz; 12-23-2006 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    My XT cranks have a great big 'ol "XT" stamped on them for the whole world to see. In fact, the model of every crankset that I've ever seen could be determined easily by just looking at it with no need to examine the fine print on the backside of the crank arms.

Didn't you notice that they weren't XT when you bought the bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    no, the only thing they say are Shimano. But the same cranks that are sold as deore, actually say deore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I screwed up the poll and I don't know how to edit it.
    The question should say, "When you purchased your bike (only those that were describe as having XT cranks), did you think it came with XT cranks?"
    Last edited by confuzshuz; 04-17-2006 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by confuzshuz
    I couldn't delete or edit my original thread, so I'm creating a new one. I realized, that this issue affects more than just the expert model. This was the original thread: Attention: All 2005 Stumpjumper Fsr Expert Owners

Here's the issue:
    Some of the 2005 Stumpy's are supposed to come with this crankset: Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline, or at least this is what is says on their specs. If you look at the back of your crank arms, you will see a model numer which says FC-M540. These are not XT. They are not even LX. They are Deore.

Even though Specialized has the disclaimer about the "specs subject to change without notice," I feel that they have falsely advertised these specific bikes. So far, all the 2005 Stumpy's that are supposed to come with the XT cranks, that I have seen, actually have the Deore cranks.

Did anyone purchased the bike, new (2005 stumpy specified with XT cranks), and get something other than the FC-M540 crankset. Please check your bikes.
    Here is the link to the Specialized website: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBik...92w0c7x.j27006
    "specs subject to change without notice,"

That is all that needs to be said.
    [SIZE="4"]`..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`..`..`...><((((> `.. `.. [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kadeater
    "specs subject to change without notice,"

That is all that needs to be said.
    Please read the response from specialized.

"Specs subject to change without notice" (meaning they can change their specs without telling you. But following a change of specs, should be a change of components) is one thing.......False advertisement is another.

You really have to read the email. Then let me know what you think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    ...Doesn't matter to me I upgraded to XTR anyway

Stock Stumpy cranks help me pedal my SS now!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    ...Doesn't matter to me I upgraded to XTR anyway

Stock Stumpy cranks help me pedal my SS now!
    I'm glad that worked out for you. However, I don't have $400, laying around, to get new cranks. I just bought my bike on the 22nd of last month. Funds are kinda short for me, considering I just dished out $2K for the bike.

mtbr member
    On the FSR Comp 100, the rims are supposed to be Mavic 321s, but I got 221s. I didn't notice this until a guy with the same bike came up to me and looked at the wheels. His bike had the 221s, and was trying to make sure his LBS didn't swap wheels on him. I contacted Specialized about it, and got a similar response. My bike also came with the dark gray Shimano cranks. No XT here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Same kind of sh...but not cranks. I have 05 S-works Enduro and web/brochure says " CASSETTE Shimano M-960 XTR, 9-speed, 11x34t, Ti top 4 cogs " and I got XT...
    If this is the case with specialized, maybe this one will be my last s-bike. It's not that big issue but still, I really hate this kind of scam. Should I unbolt all items and check them against what ? before buying.

mtbr member
    I still stand by what I said earlier. Unless your bought the bike site-unseen, you should have noticed what came on it. If you didn't know how to distinguish between XT and Deore cranks when you bought your bike you're at least partially to blame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    I still stand by what I said earlier. Unless your bought the bike site-unseen, you should have noticed what came on it. If you didn't know how to distinguish between XT and Deore cranks when you bought your bike you're at least partially to blame.
    You're right. However, its kinda difficult when there's no visible logo written on the crank. I don't think the shop would allow me to take the bike apart so I can see what it says. Generally most consumers accept what they are told or what is written on their description for the bike.

I still feel that Specialized have false and misleading adverstiments. Think about it....why isn't the logo on the crank this time? Why does it say on the websites that they are XT? How many people do you think looked at the cranks on the bike before they took it home? I know I didn't, cuz I thought that they were XT.
    Last edited by confuzshuz; 09-01-2006 at 09:44 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Custom

I don't think that specialized advertised these as XT cranks, but indeed as CUSTOM shimano cranks made for spec'd, that happen to use the XT octalink spline interface. Like they replied to you, they use the XT bottom bracket but are not XT cranks.

I wouldn't be too concerned either, since there is almost no difference between those models of XT, LX, and Deore hollowtechs, the
    crank arms look exactly the same except for the colors and I believe the only real differences are in the actual spline pattern, and the material of the rings and spider (which I guess is where they save a little weight), and for what is worth, your small steel chainring will last twice as long as an XT (very soft aluminum) or more, so you should in fact be happier with that crankset than with a 'real' XT.

Cheers.

Living to ride
    Well if this is true I think Specialized should be ashamed of themselves.
    Bob

- '06 Cannondale F400
    - '89 Cannondale SM1000
    - '90 Diamond Back Ascent

mtbr member

Components different than specd

These type of concerns have always occupied me as I wait for a bike purchase to arrive- are the components the same as specd. I believe it is the buyers duty to check/inspect upon delivery of the bike. If you fail to object or refuse the deal - the bike is accepted as it is tendered. I might also add that a buyer does have a "reasonable" amount of time to inspect goods and later object/cancel deal if the discrepancy is not readily obvious. If S is intentionaly deceiving i.e fraud, that is another thing. I do not believe S would or did that here. I second the opinion that, "specs may change without notice," is what happened here. It is solely the buyers duty to inspect and if displeased to object prior to accepting bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Would you like some cheese to go with your wine?

Here's my two cents, I don't think Spec's description was misleading. I think you misunderstood the specs. As for those retailers...I'd say their advertisments were incorrect, but that isn't Specialized's fault. Not to be rude, but you got to pay attention to all the fine print and if you see something you feel isn't right, discuss that with your lbs or whoever it is that you are purchasing your bike from before you walk out the door with your new purchase. I have owned quite a few Spec. bikes over the years (currently have two), among other brands also, and I must say that their "technical specifications" to be among the best in the industry when it comes to component description. Do I like Specialized bikes...you bet I do. I think the Stumpjumper FSR is the best all around mountain bike out there, regardless of price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I think you misunderstand

Quote Originally Posted by confuzshuz

Here's the issue:
    Even with how you stated it above, the description is merely pointing out that the "Custom" Shimano crankset has the xt spline pattern, as opposed to the LX or Deore (which aren't the same as XT), not that the crankset itself is XT. I'm not sure what is misleading. You basically have a Deore crankset that will work with an XT bottom bracket. That, I suppose, it what makes it custom.

mtbr member
    I was checking out the Hardrocks at my LBS. Half of them had SRAM SX-4 shifters while the other half had X-7 shifters.
    The Spec website says they should be SRAM SX-4 trigger, 8-speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast