mtbr member

I'm finally a mtbr!

My name is Jason and I live in Phoenix, AZ. I've been a member of this forum for a while but just recently started mountain biking. Recently like today. I bought a 2012 spesh hardrock 29er last year and had it set up as an electric commuter ever since. I'm getting to work on twice the wheels now so I stripped the e parts and have it back to how it should be. The following is how it's currently outfitted.

Continental Trail King 29x2.4 tires
    Sun Ringle Inferno25
    Salsa 3 hubs.
    1x10 with a Shimano SLX rear derailleur and shifter.
    31.4 lbs

I hope to get ithe weight down a little more with a worthwhile fork. I have my eye on an X-Fusion Slide off eBay (2012), $250 + shipping.

Ill add images once I'm at a computer. Can't get it to work on the iPad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Welcome to club, I have never ridden down south how is the riding down there? Is the riding season pretty much over when summer hits in Phoenix?

mtbr member
    Riding during the day isn't really an option. If you go early in the morning you're ok. Saturday and Sunday mornings are pretty busy for hikers/walkers/bikers/etc.

Here are a couple of shots of the bike. I still have a few plans for it. Pedals are tops on my list. I actually have a set of Diamondback flats (cheap off Amazon), but I couldn't get the right pedal off. I took a little spill a few weeks back and I think the pedal took a decent hit. They're the stock plastic pedals.

I'd also like to get into a smaller tire. After doing a little research it seems I can shave off about 1lb each by going with a smaller but still knobby tire.

I'd also like to go to a true single chain ring up front. Right now, I still have all 3 on there. I'd love to get the widget but not sure I want to spend that much. I'll probably just toss a BBG bashguard on there.

And a new fork like I mentioned in the OP.

I'm finally a mtbr!-photo-2013-04-27-08.47.14-pm.jpg

I'm finally a mtbr!-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sweet bike, I would diffantly go clipless I have had great luck with the shimano 540s. You dont really need XT pedals they are the same as the 540s with only a lighter spindle.

Depending on if your trails have a ton of rocks, I would stick with a wider tire especially on a hard trail. For your next upgrade I would look at carbon bars, and seatpost. I noticed a big difference, when pedaling over rocks while seated. Carbon post made the ride smoother while carbon bars smooths out the ride as well.

Look at the syntace hi-flex post, great post with 10 year warranty! As for bars plenty of good choices out there.