mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I'm 6'4" 225 36" inseam do I really need an XL? Would love an Enduro but only

I've had a medium XC iron horse for years. Manhandled that thing in WA. Couldn't keep up going up but bombed it downhill. I rode in bike parks, swimming pools, half pipe, yea I come from freestyle n bmx. I have ridden 2 XLs in the LBS parking lots (Giant n specialized 29ers) and those things were huge n I could barely do bunny hops but I'd almost bottom out the suspension after it was setup for me. Question is I never like not having enough. I'll be riding lots of XC with my son with some mountain riding once a month or so. I've been looking at the enduro and tallboy lt. Next carbon (for lighter weight for better pedaling?) or alum. Any advice? Thanks!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by eddjmemg View Post
    I've had a medium XC iron horse for years. Manhandled that thing in WA. Couldn't keep up going up but bombed it downhill. I rode in bike parks, swimming pools, half pipe, yea I come from freestyle n bmx. I have ridden 2 XLs in the LBS parking lots (Giant n specialized 29ers) and those things were huge n I could barely do bunny hops but I'd almost bottom out the suspension after it was setup for me. Question is I never like not having enough. I'll be riding lots of XC with my son with some mountain riding once a month or so. I've been looking at the enduro and tallboy lt. Next carbon (for lighter weight for better pedaling?) or alum. Any advice? Thanks!
    I'd say XL and maybe even the Specialized models that come in XXL.

I'm 6'4", 35.5" inseam on size XL's (and a size 64cm road bike from Specialized). Fits like a glove.

mtbr member
    Not even sure they do an XL Enduro anymore. Aren't they just S, M, L?
    Or are we talking Enduro 29?

Either way, a Specialized shop might have some demo bikes to let you take out for a proper ride. But I agree with Bruce, XL minimum. I am 6'3" and ride XL. Could ride L, but found the top tube to be too short.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

No one has enduros here in NC bike shops in my area. I've tried a couple camber and a giant in XL. They seemed huge. I guess I'm not used to them. I'm used to having a much smaller bike and just pushing thru n gutting it out. I really need to get an XL n ride it good on a trail. Bike shops let you take em out to trails? I'm gonna ask. '12 n older I've seen XL enduros. I'm just stick with that bike because of its all round do all capability.

mtbr member
    Yeah, for 13 they stopped making the XL for some reason. But 29er Enduro is apparently available in XL. Might be worth trying.

Most Specialized shops here (New Zealand) have a fleet of demo bikes (ie shop owned) which they let you take out for a day to test ride properly. At the end of the season they sell them to enable them to buy next years. Might be worth asking round.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Yes but they're not looking to deliver until after June 6 here. It looks promising for sure. I've read up on the tallboy lt also. Looks like a really good bike too n available now. I'm impatient.

I'm making lots of calls tomorrow. Great suggestion! Thanks.

mtbr member
    I know the feeling. You finally make the decision, so you want it sooner rather than later!

The Tallboy LT is also a killer bike. Either will do well.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    yeah you should definitely go for an XL, you will get used to it and wont go back

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    For sizing purposes, inseam is not as important as reach (so basically how long your upper torso is). You can always put a seat up or down, but if you need to change the length of the cockpit you can only really do that with changing stem length which can have an adverse affect on steering response and your ability to weight the front wheel. Having said all of that, an XL would be the go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eddjmemg View Post
    I have ridden 2 XLs in the LBS parking lots (Giant n specialized 29ers) and those things were huge n I could barely do bunny hops but I'd almost bottom out the suspension after it was setup for me.
    See if you can demo a 26er. I felt the same way when I test rode a few 29ers on our local trails. They felt sluggish, big, hard to manual, and weird in switchbacks. I ended up going with a xl 26er stumpy. However they dont make the XL in the 26er anymore for 2013 for the stumpy & enduro bikes.

Your local bike shop should be able to loan you a demo bike to test on your trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    +1 for XL

I am 6'4 and 38" inseam and loving my new XXL

yep
    I'm 6'2ish and I just got 2013 Enduro. Seems like a good fit for my height. Not sure how a couple more inches would affect that though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Oh I want that enduro bad but new only in lg n sold out til June for '14 models. I've found an '12 XL online but in carbon. This will hopefully be my last bike for a while n not sure about the long term thing with carbon. Great input I really appreciate it. 1 virtual beer n high 5 for all of you. I might end up getting a lg just because I can't find one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am 6'5'' with 37+ inseam - I ride XL 2010 Enduro. It's perfect fit. I have shortish torso and arms and L would be OK but suboptimal. If you gonna climb a lot L would probably be too short - but again workable. It all depends on riding style - my very long XL feels really good descending something steep and/or rocky - but may be too "relaxed" in pump track or proper dirt jumps. Ski area downhill jumps - just fine. I have a dirt jumping bike which would be comparable to medium size Enduro - excellent fit too

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am about your height and have an XL - fit is great, and you will be surprised how much easier it is to ride a bike that fits you properly. IMO the carbon for long term isn't an issue at all. Mine and friends are holding up stellar, and I wouldn;t hesitate to get the same again.

I think if you come from a BMX/freestyle background that riding a 29er may be a bit of an adjustment on trails, the 26 may feel more natural.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    get the xl and don't worry about the carbon. I have had better luck with carbon than aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    get the xl and don't worry about the carbon. I have had better luck with carbon than aluminum.
    What he said.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Awesome responses. I found a carbon enduro in XL. Gonna pull the trigger on it after a local bike shop ok's it. I appreciate it. I'll have to get used to a huge bike but its a 26er so it'll be easier to play around with.