Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

I will never buy another specialized!!!!

Last December I decided it was time for a High End bike build. After lots of research for a do all bike i settled on the Stumpjumper FSR, Evo Carbon 29er frame. I dont like cookie cutter so i built it from the ground up. I wanted more stealth than flash so I got the matte carbon frame for $3000 from my lbs. I went on to do custom envy carbon wheels with king hubs, XTR single ring, XTR brakes, Fox 34 fork bought from santa cruz so i could get black instead of fox factory white and many more high end pieces. All color matching to go with this one time high end build. Love the bike....until i look down and see cracks in the carbon above the bottom bracket and near the downtube. Call lbs. Yep, they will replace it for you but they only have replacement frames in black with orange stripes and white logos all over the frame. WTF! I didnt buy a multi colored bike to begin with and I dont want one now! Well, thats all specialized is willing to do. I knew i should have went with Santa Cruz! So pissed off at the big box brand that doesnt take care of the customer!

Elitest thrill junkie
    You spent $3000 on a hardtail FRAME?!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nooooo. FSR

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Are you for real?

6BR
    mtbr member
    Storm Corporate!! Then look at thier CEO and say 'Now I will break you"
    A troll's day:1.Log on 2.Write sh*tty comments 3.Laugh 4.Notice dick is still small 5.Weep openly 6.Have mom make him a PB&J

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just feel ripped off. When i spend hard earned money on a bike i want to keep for years and years and then it goes to crap. yeah, its just a color but if i wanted one like everyone else i wouldn't have built it myself. replace it with the same thing. not with what you found in the back of the warehouse!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by --Andy-- View Post
    Are you for real?
    Are YOU for real???

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You can't honestly expect a company to keep warranty stock of every bike model they make... in every size and color.

If you aren't happy, get the replacement and sell it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintr View Post
    Are YOU for real???
    Please read this: I will never buy another specialized!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    You can't honestly expect a company to keep warranty stock of every bike model they make... in every size and color.

If you aren't happy, get the replacement and sell it.
    Bro, its a 2013. its 9 months old.

mtbr member
    They get different frames in all the time for replacement, as companies change stock or supplies move from different regions. Maybe see if you can get a comp carbon frame or another frame you like the looks of. Just swap your Evo link and shock over and you'll have the same geometry.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So what? They've been making 2014 bikes for months at the factories. They have warranty stock for your bike model and size. You can't expect them to be able to color match every model. (Even though it would be nice if they did!) They keep warranty stock in the most widely used color.

mtbr member
    "I wanted more stealth than flash so I got the matte carbon frame for $3000 from my lbs."

What does/did the LBS say?

What does/did the frame warranty card say?

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I hate to say it, but i see these threads in all the forums. All manufacturers do this.

But I wouldn't buy a specialized anyways :P
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    its black. they make 2014s in black. I care because i spent my money on it and the **** broke. warranty it with a black frame. dont give me some multi colored blue, orange, white and black color scheme. its a MASSIVE company. they have black frames in stock if i want to buy one. the answer they gave my lbs is they only replace frames with one style and thats it. wish i would have known.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by --Andy-- View Post
    --Andy-- your a tool!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    its black. they make 2014s in black. I care because i spent my money on it and the **** broke. warranty it with a black frame. dont give me some multi colored blue, orange, white and black color scheme. its a MASSIVE company. they have black frames in stock if i want to buy one. the answer they gave my lbs is they only replace frames with one style and thats it. wish i would have known.....
    I'm not discounting your point at all. I'm just saying, i see this a lot, and it's not just Specialized. In fact i've seen guys get replacement rear triangles that were totally mismatched from their bike.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Is this what they're offering? I see no white logos.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Production of 2014's are already winding down and 2015's are winding up. Production lead outs of large scale manufacturers, no matter what widget they're making, are like this.

You could always have your new frame "custom" painted...
    SPECIALIZED | I want to paint my Specialized frame, ho...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Listen, I get it. There's no reason Specialized can't replace your frame in the same color. I'd be bummed too.

But then I'd shut up and ride. The color doesn't change how it handles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Last December I decided it was time for a High End bike build. After lots of research for a do all bike i settled on the Stumpjumper FSR, Evo Carbon 29er frame. I dont like cookie cutter so i built it from the ground up. I wanted more stealth than flash so I got the matte carbon frame for $3000 from my lbs. I went on to do custom envy carbon wheels with king hubs, XTR single ring, XTR brakes, Fox 34 fork bought from santa cruz so i could get black instead of fox factory white and many more high end pieces. All color matching to go with this one time high end build. Love the bike....until i look down and see cracks in the carbon above the bottom bracket and near the downtube. Call lbs. Yep, they will replace it for you but they only have replacement frames in black with orange stripes and white logos all over the frame. WTF! I didnt buy a multi colored bike to begin with and I dont want one now! Well, thats all specialized is willing to do. I knew i should have went with Santa Cruz! So pissed off at the big box brand that doesnt take care of the customer!
    You are woefully ignorant on how bike warranties work. They will send you the color they have in stock.

So just how many of each color and size are they supposed to keep in stock?

I have my issues with Specialized, but you're a fool if you think it's any different with any other brand. How many of the yellow Tallboy LTs you think Santa Cruz has sitting around for warranty?

This is why I don't color coordinate my bikes, because this is expected on a warranty claim. When the TBC2 came out in the white and black, for a minute I thought how bad ass that would look with a white/black pike. But then this exact thought also came into my mind and wiped out that idea, the pike will only look good on the white frame, what happens if I need a warranty replacement and the color is different.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Dirt Junkie
    Sorry about your situation. It sucks. But you're right, never buy another Specialized because your color coordination doesn't work any more.

Oh, by the way, no one cares how much you spent on your bike. If we are on this forum, we all spent that much on our bikes.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    i'd buy another one. As long as i like the way a bike rides i would never not consider it. i do think you would/could run into the same warranty situation elsewhere. that sucks on a custom build but if you really do dig the ride you might not care about the warranty color after a few rides..or not.

if you really dig the fsr platform you should have a couple of options coming since that patent has run out but i don't know about 29ers with fsr. buy it again if you picked that platform and geo specifically against the vpp. I'm assuming you put that much bling & thought onto that platform for a reason. good luck with it.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Their website shows a cool "satin carbon" frame color.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Their website shows a cool "satin carbon" frame color.
    That's a 2014, if they have 2013s in stock for warranty why should he get a 2014? Just because of color?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast