Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

I will never buy another specialized!!!!

Last December I decided it was time for a High End bike build. After lots of research for a do all bike i settled on the Stumpjumper FSR, Evo Carbon 29er frame. I dont like cookie cutter so i built it from the ground up. I wanted more stealth than flash so I got the matte carbon frame for $3000 from my lbs. I went on to do custom envy carbon wheels with king hubs, XTR single ring, XTR brakes, Fox 34 fork bought from santa cruz so i could get black instead of fox factory white and many more high end pieces. All color matching to go with this one time high end build. Love the bike....until i look down and see cracks in the carbon above the bottom bracket and near the downtube. Call lbs. Yep, they will replace it for you but they only have replacement frames in black with orange stripes and white logos all over the frame. WTF! I didnt buy a multi colored bike to begin with and I dont want one now! Well, thats all specialized is willing to do. I knew i should have went with Santa Cruz! So pissed off at the big box brand that doesnt take care of the customer!

Elitest thrill junkie
    You spent $3000 on a hardtail FRAME?!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nooooo. FSR

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Are you for real?

6BR
    mtbr member
    Storm Corporate!! Then look at thier CEO and say 'Now I will break you"
    A troll's day:1.Log on 2.Write sh*tty comments 3.Laugh 4.Notice dick is still small 5.Weep openly 6.Have mom make him a PB&J

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just feel ripped off. When i spend hard earned money on a bike i want to keep for years and years and then it goes to crap. yeah, its just a color but if i wanted one like everyone else i wouldn't have built it myself. replace it with the same thing. not with what you found in the back of the warehouse!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by --Andy-- View Post
    Are you for real?
    Are YOU for real???

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You can't honestly expect a company to keep warranty stock of every bike model they make... in every size and color.

If you aren't happy, get the replacement and sell it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tintr View Post
    Are YOU for real???
    Please read this: I will never buy another specialized!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    You can't honestly expect a company to keep warranty stock of every bike model they make... in every size and color.

If you aren't happy, get the replacement and sell it.
    Bro, its a 2013. its 9 months old.

mtbr member
    They get different frames in all the time for replacement, as companies change stock or supplies move from different regions. Maybe see if you can get a comp carbon frame or another frame you like the looks of. Just swap your Evo link and shock over and you'll have the same geometry.
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So what? They've been making 2014 bikes for months at the factories. They have warranty stock for your bike model and size. You can't expect them to be able to color match every model. (Even though it would be nice if they did!) They keep warranty stock in the most widely used color.

mtbr member
    "I wanted more stealth than flash so I got the matte carbon frame for $3000 from my lbs."

What does/did the LBS say?

What does/did the frame warranty card say?

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I hate to say it, but i see these threads in all the forums. All manufacturers do this.

But I wouldn't buy a specialized anyways :P

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    its black. they make 2014s in black. I care because i spent my money on it and the shit broke. warranty it with a black frame. dont give me some multi colored blue, orange, white and black color scheme. its a MASSIVE company. they have black frames in stock if i want to buy one. the answer they gave my lbs is they only replace frames with one style and thats it. wish i would have known.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by --Andy-- View Post
    --Andy-- your a tool!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    its black. they make 2014s in black. I care because i spent my money on it and the shit broke. warranty it with a black frame. dont give me some multi colored blue, orange, white and black color scheme. its a MASSIVE company. they have black frames in stock if i want to buy one. the answer they gave my lbs is they only replace frames with one style and thats it. wish i would have known.....
    I'm not discounting your point at all. I'm just saying, i see this a lot, and it's not just Specialized. In fact i've seen guys get replacement rear triangles that were totally mismatched from their bike.

mtbr member
    Is this what they're offering? I see no white logos.

konahonzo

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Production of 2014's are already winding down and 2015's are winding up. Production lead outs of large scale manufacturers, no matter what widget they're making, are like this.

You could always have your new frame "custom" painted...
    SPECIALIZED | I want to paint my Specialized frame, ho...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Listen, I get it. There's no reason Specialized can't replace your frame in the same color. I'd be bummed too.

But then I'd shut up and ride. The color doesn't change how it handles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Last December I decided it was time for a High End bike build. After lots of research for a do all bike i settled on the Stumpjumper FSR, Evo Carbon 29er frame. I dont like cookie cutter so i built it from the ground up. I wanted more stealth than flash so I got the matte carbon frame for $3000 from my lbs. I went on to do custom envy carbon wheels with king hubs, XTR single ring, XTR brakes, Fox 34 fork bought from santa cruz so i could get black instead of fox factory white and many more high end pieces. All color matching to go with this one time high end build. Love the bike....until i look down and see cracks in the carbon above the bottom bracket and near the downtube. Call lbs. Yep, they will replace it for you but they only have replacement frames in black with orange stripes and white logos all over the frame. WTF! I didnt buy a multi colored bike to begin with and I dont want one now! Well, thats all specialized is willing to do. I knew i should have went with Santa Cruz! So pissed off at the big box brand that doesnt take care of the customer!
    You are woefully ignorant on how bike warranties work. They will send you the color they have in stock.

So just how many of each color and size are they supposed to keep in stock?

I have my issues with Specialized, but you're a fool if you think it's any different with any other brand. How many of the yellow Tallboy LTs you think Santa Cruz has sitting around for warranty?

This is why I don't color coordinate my bikes, because this is expected on a warranty claim. When the TBC2 came out in the white and black, for a minute I thought how bad ass that would look with a white/black pike. But then this exact thought also came into my mind and wiped out that idea, the pike will only look good on the white frame, what happens if I need a warranty replacement and the color is different.
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sorry about your situation. It sucks. But you're right, never buy another Specialized because your color coordination doesn't work any more.

Oh, by the way, no one cares how much you spent on your bike. If we are on this forum, we all spent that much on our bikes.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    i'd buy another one. As long as i like the way a bike rides i would never not consider it. i do think you would/could run into the same warranty situation elsewhere. that sucks on a custom build but if you really do dig the ride you might not care about the warranty color after a few rides..or not.

if you really dig the fsr platform you should have a couple of options coming since that patent has run out but i don't know about 29ers with fsr. buy it again if you picked that platform and geo specifically against the vpp. I'm assuming you put that much bling & thought onto that platform for a reason. good luck with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Their website shows a cool "satin carbon" frame color.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Their website shows a cool "satin carbon" frame color.
    That's a 2014, if they have 2013s in stock for warranty why should he get a 2014? Just because of color?
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    That's a 2014, if they have 2013s in stock for warranty why should he get a 2014? Just because of color?
    Oh, I didn't know.

But it does beg the question, why do they have all these dorky orange streaked bikes left?: Probably because all the cool matte blacks were sold and the only left-overs remaining are the orange. I see no orange in the 2014 line, but I do see some pretty bad baby blues and yellows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Dude, get the new frame, sell it, and get the SC if aesthetics are that important. Probably won't lose much on the deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatass View Post
    Dude, get the new frame, sell it, and get the SC if aesthetics are that important. Probably won't lose much on the deal.
    But if he needs a warranty replacement and it doesn't match he'll be on here *****ing again.
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    The lesson here is dream builds can turn into nightmares. Orange and blue nightmares.

mtbr member
    That's nothing a little black vinyl cant fix...
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Is this what they're offering? I see no white logos.

Great color!!!

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear, best of luck. Hopefully another company will have warranty replacements forever for you in your chosen color

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Sorry about your situation. It sucks. But you're right, never buy another Specialized because your color coordination doesn't work any more.

Oh, by the way, no one cares how much you spent on your bike. If we are on this forum, we all spent that much on our bikes.
    my sides!

Exactly my thoughts on this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    1st world problems...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey OP I read this and thought of you. This is how a mature adult reacts:
    Quote Originally Posted by "Fred" View Post
    looks like my frame is cracked also. This sucks as my LBS went out of business and the next dealer is almost 2 hours away. I left a message with the warranty guy at Niner yesterday so we will see what happens. To bad they don't make the color I designed my build around. Everything is either white or red.

Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This is so much better than other e-rants.

mtbr member
    I will never buy another specialized!!!!-img_1318.jpg
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    This was what I found on the non drive side of the chain stay. Looks like the previous photo that was posted so I thought I'd add mine. Never have had an issue before with my 2012 Specialized Camber, best bike I have even owned. Well I found this one day after riding when cleaning the dust off the frame, lubing the chain and all the other general routine maintenance I perform. At first I thought defect in paint but something told me it had to be more. To the bike shop and sure enough it was a crack in the frame. Specialized warrantied it and my bike shop replaced it with the warranty part. As you can see the bike was gloss black and white. The replacement rear triangle was flat black. I brought the bike home and attempted to ride the next day. Well, this did not go well. There was "slop" in the crank that had not been there before the service. Back to the bike shop. They repaired the "slop" and I took the back home after another week. Attempted to ride and there was a "clunk" when pedaling coming from what I assumed was the bottom bracket. Back to the shop. Before I took it I did look the main frame over very closely and I felt I had discovered another crack in the frame, no photo this time, near a weld where all of the frame section intersect at the bottom bracket. I pointed it out to the shop but it was not identified as a crack. They have had the bike another 2 weeks now and finally today I was notified, yes the frame was cracked exactly where I had identified. Specialized is going to warranty the main frame now however considering the age I am not sure what they will offer and the shop was not sure this morning either. I just hope I don't end up with a pink or purple frame as I do ride a small frame. I will post once all is said and done.
    2016 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I know that all manufacturer's need to get rid of old stock and generally this old stock is left in colours that weren't all that popular (although I like that black/orange Stumpy) but I would think that they would bring in some simple rawish looking frames and rear triangle pieces that will go well with any of their colour schemes.

For years, Santa Cruz was famous for warranty replacing front or rear triangles with completely mismatched colours. This pissed a lot of customers off because it looks ugly and drastically reduces resale value.
    Tallboy3 CC : Nomad3 CC: Highball2 CC : Stigmata2 CC

mtbr member
    Well heard from the shop and they had bad news. No 2012 frames so I am getting a 2013 Camber Carbon Pro 29er replacement in the colors showed here earlier (Red and black Carbon). I could not be happier. I like the color.
    2016 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

mtbr member
    Isn't Santa Cruz a "Big Box Company"????

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I am the last person to worry about colour matching etc. on my bikes but here in Australia our consumer protection laws mean that you can in theory demand an exact replacement (eg. colour). How would it be if you bought a car and the bonnet had a problem and the manf replaced it with a different colour? What about your fridge that you bought in white and then manf replaces it with a stainless one or a black one? If colour was part of the reason for buying, then in Aust. warranty replacement with the same colour could be demanded by the consumer. The fact that keeping such frames in stock is a PITA for the manf. is not a concern for the consumer.

You may find that the US consumer protection laws have similar requirements.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    At least they're offering to warranty it. They could easily of told you to go pound sand. Count your blessings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Here is my story... Post your warranty & crash replacement experience with Specialzed!

I loved the colors of the black/green of my original bike and things don't really look right with the Sworks. It was either the 2013 orange/blue Sworks or wait a couple months for a comparable 2014 carbon comp frame......but I got over the color issue pretty quick. I would like to think that I spend more time riding my bikes then I do looking at them.

I understand where the OP is coming from....but, dude get over it and be glad that they honored their warranty without any issues at all. These are mountain bikes and not your wife's china set.

Warrior's Society
    For some, it is more about style than substance.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mudhen View Post
    Great color!!!

mudhen

Looks like my bike- love it! But I have also ongoing discussions with Specialized with open end. From legal point of view he did not need to expect the replacement frame, but than, no bike?!
    i think he decide to buy a Specialized because of the riding not only because of the colour...
    But how does his frame look like, cant see any picture

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    reads top few posts and skips to bottom....

why not just get any warranty frame replacement, sell it and buy a well looked after used on from somewhere? Probably quite a few coming up one year old ones for sale?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a flat black 2014 stumpy evo and would much prefer the orange and blue. Mine is aluminum however.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Replacement frame with the redish/orange looks bad ass! Even if it was a little ugly, it really doesn't matter. When I pass people on the trail, I never think "Wow, that bike is ugly or cool." All I ever think is "holly shit, how do people go that slow...."

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Upset Specailized has poor support and poor quality parts.

I have a 1995 hardtail stumpjumper and a 2006 full suspension stumpjumper. I use the 1995 model as a back up bike now and it was and is a great bike with few problems. The 2006 stumpjumper on the other hand has been a headache since the start. The 2006 stumpjumper is a smooth riding bike when it is working though. this is a list of problem on the 2006 since buying it. (1)Fox Traid shock failed after 6months (under warranty) no bike for 6 weeks waiting for fox to receive the shock and send back. (2)Mavic rear wheel rim tear at eyelet after 9months under warranty bike in shop for 3 weeks. (3) mavic front rim tears at eyelet after 1yr 3months (not under warranty) decided to upgrade to better mavic rims (600 for the pair) (4) fox traid shock leaking oil and not working at all after 1yr 9months (not under warranty) pay 150 to get it rebuilt and bike down waiting on shock for 4 weeks. (5) chainstay frame break at a weld after 3yrs (faulty weld per welder in Las Vegas) not under warranty not a part of main frame and they dont care to hear about the faultly weld (bike waiting on part for 3weeks). (6) lower shock eye bolt breaks after 3yrs 6months(bike down for 2 weeks waiting on entire bolt kit from specialized) proprietary bolt can only get from specialized and they will only send to authorized dealer. (7)traid shock leaking oil again after 4yrs bike down for 4 weeks waiting on shock. (8) lower shock bolt breaks again after 5yrs 6months and also breaks the linkage bike down 2 weeks waiting on bolt kit and new linkage piece from specailized. (9) traid shock leaking oil again after 6 yrs 9months bike down for 4 weeks waiting on the shock rebuild. (10) lower shock bolt break for third time (yes my shock is inflated with proper air for my weight per specs) after 8 yrs (present time 8-13-15).

I ride 95 percent of the time on smooth paved city roads and when on dirt never jump and never on rough terrain (just like mountain bikes ride better than street bikes). I keep up on all maintenance of bike including the rear shock. The rear shock manual states to rebuild every 50 hours of riding though (wow you kidding me) I ride at least 4 hours a week minimum and up to 12 hours some weeks so if a ride 12 hours a week that is rebuild on shock every month 12 a year at 150 buck a wack and 2 to 4 weeks down time each time (holy shit ass). The shock is not specialized entire fault but it is on their bike with their shitty connection at the lower shock eye bolt. The chainstay is what really set me off and I told them I will never buy their bikes again (like they really give a shit). Since my chainstay broke I have talked to 5 different people buying bikes and have steered them away from specialized bikes which amounts to about 4000 dollars (a couple were lower end trek bikes) 4000 (chainstay was only 80 dollars) is nothing to specialized, but if there are just 100 people in the world with similar experiences as I have had that would be 400,000 dollars which would start be notice and if a 1000 people felt as I do well you can do the math.

I do not deny that specialized has some good bikes, but I will never buy one again. I'm thinking of buying my next bike at bikesdirect.com and avoid the whole corporate advertising over bloated prices.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by olyswen View Post
    I have a 1995 hardtail stumpjumper and a 2006 full suspension stumpjumper. I use the 1995 model as a back up bike now and it was and is a great bike with few problems. The 2006 stumpjumper on the other hand has been a headache since the start. The 2006 stumpjumper is a smooth riding bike when it is working though. this is a list of problem on the 2006 since buying it. (1)Fox Traid shock failed after 6months (under warranty) no bike for 6 weeks waiting for fox to receive the shock and send back. (2)Mavic rear wheel rim tear at eyelet after 9months under warranty bike in shop for 3 weeks. (3) mavic front rim tears at eyelet after 1yr 3months (not under warranty) decided to upgrade to better mavic rims (600 for the pair) (4) fox traid shock leaking oil and not working at all after 1yr 9months (not under warranty) pay 150 to get it rebuilt and bike down waiting on shock for 4 weeks. (5) chainstay frame break at a weld after 3yrs (faulty weld per welder in Las Vegas) not under warranty not a part of main frame and they dont care to hear about the faultly weld (bike waiting on part for 3weeks). (6) lower shock eye bolt breaks after 3yrs 6months(bike down for 2 weeks waiting on entire bolt kit from specialized) proprietary bolt can only get from specialized and they will only send to authorized dealer. (7)traid shock leaking oil again after 4yrs bike down for 4 weeks waiting on shock. (8) lower shock bolt breaks again after 5yrs 6months and also breaks the linkage bike down 2 weeks waiting on bolt kit and new linkage piece from specailized. (9) traid shock leaking oil again after 6 yrs 9months bike down for 4 weeks waiting on the shock rebuild. (10) lower shock bolt break for third time (yes my shock is inflated with proper air for my weight per specs) after 8 yrs (present time 8-13-15).

I ride 95 percent of the time on smooth paved city roads and when on dirt never jump and never on rough terrain (just like mountain bikes ride better than street bikes). I keep up on all maintenance of bike including the rear shock. The rear shock manual states to rebuild every 50 hours of riding though (wow you kidding me) I ride at least 4 hours a week minimum and up to 12 hours some weeks so if a ride 12 hours a week that is rebuild on shock every month 12 a year at 150 buck a wack and 2 to 4 weeks down time each time (holy shit ass). The shock is not specialized entire fault but it is on their bike with their shitty connection at the lower shock eye bolt. The chainstay is what really set me off and I told them I will never buy their bikes again (like they really give a shit). Since my chainstay broke I have talked to 5 different people buying bikes and have steered them away from specialized bikes which amounts to about 4000 dollars (a couple were lower end trek bikes) 4000 (chainstay was only 80 dollars) is nothing to specialized, but if there are just 100 people in the world with similar experiences as I have had that would be 400,000 dollars which would start be notice and if a 1000 people felt as I do well you can do the math.

I do not deny that specialized has some good bikes, but I will never buy one again. I'm thinking of buying my next bike at bikesdirect.com and avoid the whole corporate advertising over bloated prices.
    ITs time to replace a 2006 model. Get yourself a hardtail with coil shock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast