mtbr member
    Jun 2008

I want an Enduro 29er hardtail.

I love my Enduro 29er so much, I would love to see specialized do a hardtail version. I think it would be such a blast.
    I want a full carbon frame. Same low standover, low bottom bracket, shorten the chainstays even more, but keep the tire clearance. Offer it with a Pike or a rigid fork option.
    I have a fully rigid titanium 29er that I use as a training bike to keep my skills sharp, I have it set up to shred (short stem, wide bar, platforms, big tires).
    I think a hardtail Enduro 29er would be sick, snappy, and fun.

Specialized are your listening????

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    I love my Enduro 29er so much, I would love to see specialized do a hardtail version. I think it would be such a blast.
    I want a full carbon frame. Same low standover, low bottom bracket, shorten the chainstays even more, but keep the tire clearance. Offer it with a Pike or a rigid fork option.
    I have a fully rigid titanium 29er that I use as a training bike to keep my skills sharp, I have it set up to shred (short stem, wide bar, platforms, big tires).

2015 SJ Ht EVO model may be as close are you are going to get. At 120mm w/ a pike it appears to be a pretty sweet ride. Aluminum frame though...

Also you would have to pull off that crap OEM dropper and replace it with a Lev.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Not even close to what I have in mind. That thing is way too vanilla.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post

Fat bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've always thought it was weird that the Stumpy FSR and the Stumpy hardtail were such different beasts. Personally I'd love it if the Stumpy hardtail became an all mountain hardtail, with a similar look to the FSR, and the current Stumpy hardtail be called the Epic hardtail (which would make more sense to me anyways).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    Fat bike
    I don't want a fatbike. I want something that rails. That jumps well, accelerates, and is fast as hell. That is not a fat bike. I want an Enduro 29er Hardtail!

Bro Mountainbiker
    I think it's funny that if you actually jump a stump it voids the warranty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    They actually had an Enduro hard tail in 2001, so this isn't that unrealistic.

I miss Jim Anchower.
    2014 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2003 Gary Fisher X-Caliber - Mid rebuild

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I have the closest thing in a hardtail to complement my enduro 29, a kona honzo. Never thought I would own a kona but it's a super fun little hardtail that has a wicked short rear end.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I loved my honzo so much!!!! I just sold it though to try out this new "goldielocks" wheelsize...
    I really wanted a 26er, but the thought of resale scared me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The new stumpy ht evo has a 120mm pike, 142x12 rear axle, wierd dropper, 1x10, 68 hta, and tapered headtube. Its way beefier than the previous stumpy ht evo.

Specialized Bicycle Components

I think its a sweet ride, however I like the way steel rides than aluminum. I recall specialized did make an enduro ht but that was awhile ago. I would like to see an steel 650b stumpy evo ht with 140mm fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    A Canfield yelli should do the trick....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    sorry posted in the wrong forum

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hardtails suck.

What I want is an Epic with no Brain, exact Camber Evo geometry, 30.9mm seat tube and stealth routing, tire clearence for 29x2.5" and 24lbs in a medium with a 100mm Revelation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i have the 2015 SJ hardtail and really like the feel of it except my preference would be for the frame to be in carbon

mtbr member
    Diamondback Mason 29er
    66.5* HTA
    17" chainstays

Mine is set up with a
    Fox 34 RLC
    KS Lev dropper
    1x10 with Wolftooth 42T
    55mm stem, 780 carbon bars

B+ rear end with WTB Trailblazer 2.8 rear

It's an alloy frame though... but the big tire helps

I want an Enduro 29er hardtail.-img_3209.jpg

I've got a WTB Scraper i45 front wheel built up that I intend to use with a 3.0" 650b tire (when they ever come out).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I want an Enduro 29er hardtail.-img_3472.jpg  

I want an Enduro 29er hardtail.-fullsizerender.jpg  

I want an Enduro 29er hardtail.-image.jpg  

Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 4 Days Ago at 01:06 PM.
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

evilbanks
    Niner ROS 9. Steel frame but you should do it anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b_banks View Post
    Niner ROS 9. Steel frame but you should do it anyway.
    Short reach, tall standover (so you can't size up)... The bikes provided for reviews all had 70-90 mm stems with 780 bars. Kinda surprised Niner missed the mark on that one.

Supposed to be a very smooth riding frame though.
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 3 Days Ago at 09:06 AM.
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06hokiemtb View Post
    diamondback mason 29er
    66.5* hta
    17" chainstays

. . . . .
    ditto!

Rode one on Maui in Makawao Forest last year.
    A BLAST!

I want an Enduro 29er hardtail.-dsc_0075.jpg
    15 E29 Expert - ordered
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarManDSL View Post
    ditto!

Rode one on Maui in Makawao Forest last year.
    A BLAST!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0075.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	967754
    They are slack, long and angry
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Short reach, tall standover (so you can't size up)... The bikea provided for reviews all had 70-90 mm stems with 780 bars. Kinda surprised Niner missed the mark on that one.

I'm curious to your comments as I'm in the market for a new HT and the ROS is on the shortlist. (I ended up here doing more research on the EVO...) The bike the OP describes is perfect but no one makes that in carbon - as of now...

So back to the ROS - you mention short reach and high standover - just curious compared to what? I'm a size medium and will be running a 120mm Pike on whatever I get so that is where my numbers originate from - FYI. The ROS has a 16.3 reach and 28.7 standover - those numbers are with the spec'd 50mm Trail stem with 780mm bars. Looking at everything else in that class, those numbers are spot on. The Honzo has the longest reach at 16.9 and the TransAm (new one) has the lowest standover at 27.1 - just for comparison purposes.

Getting a bit back on track and not to do a total thread jack... I like the EVO but prefer steel or carbon over aluminum and definitely prefer 1x11. If Specialized, or anyone for that matter, made a carbon bike with trail bike geo I would be all over it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My preference was carbon well. I have a carbon SJ FSR as well, but this new Evo has not disappointed. I was also prepared to switch out to 1x11 and found i dont need it

mtbr member
    Up until 2015, the Transition TransAm has a short reach as well.

A ROS 9, size medium, has a reach of 16.2 with a Fox 32 120 fork and 15.7 with a Fox 34 140 fork. Large is 16.8 & 16.3, respectively.

So a 120 Pike (which is what this type of bike really needs) would yield a reach of 15.8-15.9"... that's not long in my book. Thus the complaints in bike reviews about needing to run a 70-90mm stem with 780 bars.

A large Niner RIP 9 RDO, for example has a 17.1" reach (120) & 16.7" reach (140)... Now that's more like it.

A large Jet 9 RDO, for example, has a 17.5" reach (100) and 17.1" reach (120).

An XL ROS 9 is sized similarly to a L RIP 9 or Jet 9.
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+

mtbr member
    Short reach, tall standover (so you can't size up)... The bikes provided for reviews all had 70-90 mm stems with 780 bars. Kinda surprised Niner missed the mark on that one.

I guess I'll clarify more here.

The OP wants an Enduro HT. Which means he'll want something long, slack and angry. I'm guessing he'll want to run 780 bars and a 40-50mm stem. And a burly fork.

For that reason, I recommended the DB Mason. It's the slackest and comes with a 140 Fox 34. Hard to get much angrier for a 29er HT.

I'm running my Fox 34 at 130 and like it there. I've ran at 120 and it feels like an angry XC bike. Running at 140 makes it feel like a monster (so much so, that you forget it's a HT until you land...)

A Kona Honzo and Yelli Screamy would also work great. Just keep in mind a 140 fork on those will relax your STA.

The new TransAM 29 is spec'd with a 120 Pike and has a 17.4" reach (for size large), and a 67.5* HTA to boot. That would be a fun bike with a 120, 130 or maybe even a 140 Pike.
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Up until 2015, the Transition TransAm has a short reach as well.

So a 120 Pike (which is what this type of bike really needs) would yield a reach of 15.8-15.9"... that's not long in my book. Thus the complaints in bike reviews about needing to run a 70-90mm stem with 780 bars.
    Agreed on the changes between the old and new TA...

And I agree that the ROS is ripe for a Pike - glad they spec it on 3-star build. The reach is a bit short at 140mm but at 120mm it should be right around 16". Not long but not short...

I gave up on buying bikes, cars or motorcycles (where I tend to dump a ton of money) based on reviews a long time ago... What works for one person is a nightmare for another...

I guess I'll clarify more here.

The OP wants an Enduro HT... Which means he'll want something long, slack and angry. I'm guessing he'll want to run 780 bars and a 40-50mm stem. And a burly fork.

I'm running my Fox 34 at 130 and like it there. I've ran at 120 and it feels like an angry XC bike. Running at 140 makes it feel like a monster (so much so, that you forget it's a HT until you land...)
    Well said. It helped me realize what the OP is looking for and what I'm looking for are two different bikes. I think you got it right with regard to the OP. I'm looking for a fun trail bike or as you suggest, "an angry XC bike"...