mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I screwed up big time - help!

See attached picture. Tried to remove shock for service and i stripped the hex head on the lower shock bolt. Then I dremmeled a slot in the bolt to fit a flat head screwdriver and the bolt still would not turn and now the bolt head is all messed up. I tried PB blaster to no avail.

Bike is a 2009 sworks stumpy.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I screwed up big time - help!-image.jpg  

Last edited by hasbeen; 07-13-2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: More info

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Employ your LBS and their problem-solving prowess. Step away from the bike...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Elitest thrill junkie
    You use an easy-out. Get them at the hardware store. Drill the the inside of the bolt a little ways so you can fit the easy-out bit in, then you use the easy-out, which is a reverse-threaded deal. It essentially grabs the now-hollow bolt from the inside and any resistance makes it grip better, making it come out easier.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No guaranties on this but I have taken a soldering iron on stuck bolts and touched it on the head of the bolt until it heats up the bolt and then try to turn it out. Sometime there is lock tight on the threads and the heat will make it soft also it will expand the metal. Like I said this may not work but it may be worth a try. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the tips.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by hutcholdschool View Post
    No guaranties on this but I have taken a soldering iron on stuck bolts and touched it on the head of the bolt until it heats up the bolt and then try to turn it out. Sometime there is lock tight on the threads and the heat will make it soft also it will expand the metal. Like I said this may not work but it may be worth a try. Good luck
    You have to do this sometimes, as with the green-loctite on my turner, but that assumes an interface that is not damaged. If the interface is damaged, as here, the best way is just to do the easy-out. I've never heard anyone get the "screwdriver" method to work.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Given that there is no nut on the other side, an easyout is really your only option. However, it is unlikely to work IME unless you help it, a LOT.

Get some penetrating oil from your hardware store and soak the thread with it. Overnight.

Thread the easyout - your ability to drill straight and true is key here. Remember that the easyout, by definition, is smaller than the bolt so it will accept LESS torque than the bolt. Busting an easyout is the Oxford definition, of an unhappy place.

If a reasonable amount of force is not doing the job, your next option is to use come heat on the threads.

If you are uncomfortable with any of these steps, take the rig to your local engineering shop and pay them $50 to do it for you.

If it helps, remember that it's just a bolt. Worst thing that can happen is that you munt the threads and need to go up +1 in bolt size. Inconvenient for sure, but not the end of the world.

mtbr member
    Probably the cheapest and best thing would be to take it to a shop for removal. However, I'd take a small drill bit and go straight through the bolt. Then try to turn it with a hex driver. Sometimes you can drive a torx into and turn it. Gotta replace the bolt regardless. Best of luck.

mtbr member
    An easy out isn't going to help you since the bolt has cold welded to either the shock reducers and/or the threads on the drive side.I would try it first but I doubt it will work.A drill with very steady hands is how I extract bolts like the one pictured.It goes without saying but always grease shock hardware and always use a torque wrench to avoid stripped/ cold welded bolts.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    An easy out like described won't work... you won't get the torque required to break this free. If the bolt was this damaged by trying to remove it, the little screw won't work. Try the actual bolt removers (the easy out described is more ideal for small bolts or screws).

This is what I would look for: Buy Irwin Bolt Out with Case 394001 at Advance Auto Parts

Or if the bolt is small enough, I have used one of these: Titan Stud Puller - 3/8in. Drive, Model# 16023 - Amazon.com

to pull completely round studs from heads and engine blocks with great success.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Huckin' trails

I screwed up big time - help!

I'd drill the bolt head off, then sucker punch the bolt out trough the shock mount, easy as that. Assuming it's a two part mounting hardware, not actually bolted into the shock bushings itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!