mtbr member
    Apr 2008

I need the best pair of platform pedals

Well I just tried clipless and it scared the hell out of me so I want to get the best platform pedals available. The list I was looking at are

1. Crank Bros 50/50 XX
    2. Azonic Pooky
    3. Specialized Lo Pro Mag 2 Platform Pedals
    4. Kona wah wah
    5. Wellgo MG-1

What do you all think and also what shoes are good with mountain biking, I was thinking of the 5.10 Impact 2 low?

Thanks for any comments you might have...

GRAVITY IS GOOD
    It depends, what you are looking for.....

a ton of pins so your foot never moves no matter what
    a few well placed pins to easily move your foot around
    sealed bearing
    lightweight
    bombproof build

For the money, you can find pretty much the best pedals available through an online bmx dealer like dans comp.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I guess the most important is grip then durability and then weight...

mtbr member
    Give the clipless another shot. Believe me, it gets easier.
    Lou.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I tried and still have the shoes but when going up an incline that is tough I would be afraid I stay locked in and fall hard. Also if you do a wheely and then over rotate, what then. I am staying away from them sorry...

Now with More Wood
    You forgot the DMR v12. Its a great pedal. Just enough pins (for my taste anyway), with a pair of good shoes (5.10 or 661 Taki for example) they are very grippy, replaceable pins (pins exist in 2 lengths), just the right size, very durable and low maintenance (I've been putting mine away wet and dirty for over a year and they still spin like new).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    DMR v12 seem pretty expensive, actually the most expensive of the bunch...

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte772
    DMR v12 seem pretty expensive, actually the most expensive of the bunch...
    Maybe, I didn't check....perhaps you were looking at the Magnesium version, they run about $20 more than the regular v12? Anyway, they are well worth it IMO.

I AM I AM
    I've got the DMR V12 mags and very happy with them. I'd say the Wellgo MG-1's would be pretty close and lighter, so I'd give them a go or maybe the Kona Wah wah's. However I don't think you can go too wrong with any on your list, it really does come down to personal preference.
    Like you first thing I look for is sealed bearings, then design and weight.

mtbr member
    More important than the pedal, gripwise, are shoes. The 5.10s mentioned are the bomb! Had various others, last Shimano´s flat shoe, (Cant remember prod.code) They´r not even close to the grip of the 5.10s.
    V12 mag, are good. Bearings, weight and grips. But if money is an issue, get shoes first.
    Andreas, BodøBøddel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    keep in mind these ar steep trails and need shoes with grip as well and also I need to run in them as well for the xterra triathlon. Thanks

mtbr member
    Snagged this from Pinkbike. Looks cool. If the image isn't showing just google flypaper pedal.

mtbr member
    Give clipless another shot. You have a 50% more efficient pedal stroke (you have an upstroke with clipless, just a downstroke with platform) therefore you'll pedal better, faster, stronger, blah blah blah. Clipless teaches you to keep your feet on the bike... which is where they should be most of the time. You learn to control your bike with clipless.

But if you insist on platforms, stay away from the 50/50 pedals. The removable plates come loose all the time and wobble around, the bolts that tighten the plates on the pedal are small and soft so they'll strip fast, and the traction pins offer very minimal grip.

Spec lo pro mags are okay.
    Funn soljam pedals are pretty sweet.
    I use Dark Cycles arachnid pedals, they're mean and they have lots of grippy pins, your feet will be solid on these bad boys. Just keep in mind that if you ride platform pedals there is a learning curve for them too... more specifically get used to having bloody shins for a while

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    You have a 50% more efficient pedal stroke
    You just made that up.

mtbr member
    You can pull up while you push down with clipless, can only push down with platforms...thus the 50% more efficient pedal stroke.....

Or maybe he just made it up.........

RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

mtbr member
    I mostly ride TIME pedals so I'm not anti click in... but it's not true that you can only push down with platform pedals. Those grippy pins allow you to pull back and push forward more than just 50% of the rotation. Plus most riders do not pull up for the entire 'extra 50%' you are talking about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos
    You just made that up.

And that's why roadies and xc racers use platform pedals all the time?

With a platform pedal you are limited to only a downstroke. On the upstroke your feet are usually fairly flat (parallel to the ground) if you were to pull up on your upstroke with a flat pedal your foot would come off.

With a clipless pedal you CAN pull up on your pedal stroke, you can also pull back at the bottom of your downstroke because you are locked in. With clipless you have power along the whole circle of your pedal stroke, with platform you have power in just one third to one half of the pedal stroke. The more power you have throughout your pedal stroke the faster you will theoretically go while at the same time using your leg muscles a bit more sparingly (mostly quad muscle with platform versus quad, calf, and hamstring muscle use with clipless). Ultimately it is more efficient.

Go try it for yourself sometime, unless you want to stick to your guns and say that I'm making it up. Who knows, I did eat lead paint chips when I was a baby.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I mostly ride TIME pedals so I'm not anti click in... but it's not true that you can only push down with platform pedals. Those grippy pins allow you to pull back and push forward more than just 50% of the rotation. Plus most riders do not pull up for the entire 'extra 50%' you are talking about.
    If you know what you're doing on platform pedals you can make it more efficient, very true, but it is still not as efficient as clipless. There is a definate (and proven) dead spot near the top of the pedal stroke, but there are companies like ROTR that make the ROTR rings, a severely updated and customizable biopace ring that enables you to get as close to 100% efficiency at the pedals as possible.

And more people than you think pull up for the last half of the pedal stroke, Just ask a xc racer or a roadie, or a dh racer even... They pull up on those things like mad every time they sprint, climb, pedaling out of a berm, or just maintaining a certain cadence.

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte772
    keep in mind these ar steep trails and need shoes with grip as well and also I need to run in them as well for the xterra triathlon. Thanks
    I would still have a look at 5.10s, I got a pair of their Yosemite Loafers because I wanted a primarily all round shoe that would also serve me for mtb, and even though they don't have entirely S5 (or whatever the mtb compound is) on the sole their grip is still amazing compared to my old Addidas sneakers which I thought faired pretty well.

So check out the 5.10 range of shoes, perhaps look at the more trail oriented ones rather than mtb depending on your primary use, I bet they will still provide exceptional grip on the pedals, and of course amazing grip for most terrain. As you can see I am a convert!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Azonic Mtn X pedals, if you can find them. Absolutely bombproof, and the pins don't break off if you hit a rock. The last three times I've upgraded bikes, I've kept the same pair of pedals. Unfortunately, Azonic doesn't make them anymore, but check on E-Bay or Wheel World in Los Angeles, which apparently still has some.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well I bought clipless shoes this week and tried them but due to the very technical trails we have here clipless would be too scary because I just need one time that I dont clip out and it could be disasterous. I am going platform and I just bought the MG-1's so now I will try them with my current shoes and maybe then after tring them will get the 5.10's but If I have enough grip with my Salomans then I will leave it at that...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    If you know what you're doing on platform pedals you can make it more efficient, very true, but it is still not as efficient as clipless. There is a definate (and proven) dead spot near the top of the pedal stroke, but there are companies like ROTR that make the ROTR rings, a severely updated and customizable biopace ring that enables you to get as close to 100% efficiency at the pedals as possible.

And more people than you think pull up for the last half of the pedal stroke, Just ask a xc racer or a roadie, or a dh racer even... They pull up on those things like mad every time they sprint, climb, pedaling out of a berm, or just maintaining a certain cadence.

Now that you modified what you said, we are basically at the same place. I didn't say that people don't pull up on the last half - just not ALL of the 50% you were claiming. Re-read what I posted and you'll see.