mtbr member
    May 2011

I bought a bike with a broken brain?

In december I bought a 2009 Epic with XTR's all around for just a grea tprice. It was flawless and was hardly ridden. Not a scratch anywhere. I took it in to get brakes bleed and my LBS said, "hey did you know your brain is broken?" I couldn't even tell. I didn't have pedal bob, like what I read about, and it seemed to compress when I'd ride over something warranting it.

I guess my long winded question is, how do I know what a brain is supposed to perform like correctly?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Not a big deal. The brains need service every 150 hours or 1 year. It cost about $150 to have it serviced and it's as good as new again. The only bad part is it has to go back to specialized for service at takes about 3 weeks. If you don't send it in, the brain will go out.

I have an s-works with the brain in shock and fork...I send it in once a year when I go on vacation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Service times are still pretty short right now. Turn around for an s-tune was a week a month back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a 2004 Epic and never had the Brain serviced until two seasons ago. I think it had slowly faded to the point the shock was always active and I never really noticed. But when I finally had it serviced, it was like a brand new bike! I couldn't believe how much it brought new life to the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Matches
    I have a 2004 Epic and never had the Brain serviced until two seasons ago. I think it had slowly faded to the point the shock was always active and I never really noticed. But when I finally had it serviced, it was like a brand new bike! I couldn't believe how much it brought new life to the bike.
    Ok very interested on this one : what do you mean for "seasons" ? How many months of actual use ??

I've got my Stumpy Elite 2011 this past february and used until the end of april rotating it with another rig.
    The bike is now sitting idle until mid september (away for work),then from that time on it will be used all the way until the next end of april rotated with another XC bike aswell. I was considering to send the Shock/Brain down for service in April 2012 then,you guys think that may be a perfect timing ??

Man...150 hrs its a damn short time anyway. I've read somewhere that it's actually a "downhill" time only when the Brain is called at work,don't know if it's true tho...
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Specialized explain this 150 hour service time to me by comparing it to a Ferrari versus a Mustang. The Ferrari is a high performance (high dollar) race car that is fine tuned to tight specifications and needs frequent maintenance to operate at this high level...ie, the S-Works brain suspension. The Mustang (Comp Models) don't need the frequent maintenance to run fast but won't ever be as fast or handle like the Ferrari. If you have a brain fork and feel it starting to depress in corner braking or the rear suspension bobbing on a climb...it's time to send it in.

At first I was disappointed about Specialized's $7k - 10k bikes needing this service so often but after spending my $275 once a year to have it run like new again, now seems like no big deal to me.

This is just my experience, but others here understand the brain suspension much better than I do and may can explain it in more detail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I don't know about the service intervals...I bought a 2003 Epic and never had it serviced. It worked flawlessly until last year when it gave up and went fully open. I had it seviced and it's back on the bike. 7-8 years of year-round riding and no issues.

I just chalk it up as a warranty gig at first, then it's just another way to get the customer to spend some money. If you pay that much for a fork/shock the performance should last longer than their recommendations IMO, or extend the warranty out 1-2 more years.

cha-ching!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione
    Ok very interested on this one : what do you mean for "seasons" ? How many months of actual use ??
    :
    Well I live in Wisconsin so I consider one riding "season" to be about 6 months of the year. Although, I also race endurance events and put a fair number of miles on it (has over 5800 miles as of now). So I'd say I put probably at least 4000 miles on it before finally having the brain serviced.

mtbr member
    I have my shock/brain and fork serviced every year. I have friends who never have anything serviced. My bikes always work, and rarely break. Their bikes usually need some attention on every long ride. YMMV.