jcard14
    Oct 2005

Hypothetical Question???

What if a Specialized dealer were to get their Specialized Demo Program bikes and not demo them but immediately put them up for sale???? Is there anything wrong with that?

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Yes.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    I suspect they sign an agreement with Specialized and could lose their line if they do something like this.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    "So I've got this friend...."
    :wq

jcard14
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    "So I've got this friend...."
    Too funny...I wasn't trying to get anyone in trouble but I definitely know a bike shop that is doing this. As a matter of fact, my friend bought the demo Epic Expert from them. I thought it was pretty shady, you guys are just reconfirming my initial thoughts.

mtbr member
    Working at a shop, I know thatis against what specialzied wants. They pay less than cost for the demo bikes, being that they aren't making much profit on them (50 bucks a weekend?), so I would say thats a def. NO NO!!!

mtbr member
    seems like this would trickle down to less bike sales, arent the demos diff colors too?

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

jcard14
    Oct 2005
    Doesn't Specialized have reps that should be monitoring these things??? The LBS I know that is doing this is the worst shop have ever been in. Even worse, they are the only Specialized dealer within 100 miles, so many have no choice but to deal with them if they want a Specialized.

jcard14
    Oct 2005
    This is a thread I started 18+ months ago...the shop in question is still up to their old tricks....just wondering if anyone on here had any new insights....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Mate, just report them to Specialized!!! You know all the details, sent an e-mail or make an anonymous phone call!!!!

Hate shops doing things like this

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    Shops like that ruin everything for shops like mine. We are only allowed to sell the Demo Bike after Specialized approves it, which is late this year sometime. I know that the rep is supposed to be checking in and actually checking to see if the bike is on hand. Another possible example of one person ruining a good thing for everyone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would have to disagree strongly with respect to "alerting" Specialized. If you care so strongly on the subject I would talk to the shop first, you have no idea the hardships they may or may not be going through at this time. I am not supporting what they are doing, however, this is not harming Specialized and the odds of them being close enough to affect another dealer are slim. Just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What color are the 09 test bikes anyhow?

mtbr member
    on a slightly diferent note I bought an ex demo bike from my L.B.S. for nearly a grand less than normal price . ( 1800 instead of 2700 ) It was great no problems with it at all , O/K it had a few cable rubs and the odd scratch but was one of my best bikes ever - and they took it back in part ex against a new bike eighteen months later.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yeah, the Spec demo program is a great feature. Foiling it by just initially selling a demo bike sucks for Spec but even more so for potential customers. We have an '09 test SJ FSR Elite, and it has been ridden by many potential customers already. Heck, it even prompted me to get a leftover '08 SJ. We're not a big shop, either. Having a quality bike that a potential customer can ride goes a long way to selling bikes...and not always just the exact type of the test model. This helps big and small dealers. It's a little tough for us to go outfitting 2 or 3 new bikes for test mules totally on our own nickel, and I'm sure many dealers are in the same boat. So I don't really agree with the idea that was mentioned about how this particular dealer might be breaking this particular rule to make ends meet. A sign of the times in our society, I guess...there should be an exception for everyone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I specifically said "I am not supporting what they are doing", I was taking into the account, the possible extreme end of the spectrum. In other words, what if they are doing this to make ends meet? The possibility may be remote but, is a possibility. I would not want to ruin somebody's life over an issue such as this, and that's the point I was making. I think it was very respectful for the OP to not mention the shop's name.