Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HR upgrades

mtbr member
    May 2012

HR upgrades

Have beat around here for some time debating on what direction I should go with on a bike.
    While I've been wanting something a bit more towards the AM side, I have made what I believe is a smart decision and have decided on the hardrock sport disk 26.
    The reason for this decision is I'm still coming back from a leg injury so I want to make sure ill be able to ride alot and enjoy it, as well as make sure my leg can handle the abuse.

From the get go, I've been debating on what to upgrade And what not to upgrade. I'm a fairly light fellow at 160ish right now. When cut down to weight, I'm around 145 so I believe the forks will last me for a couple months learning.
    I've decided to upgrade some pedals up front to some wellgo v8 platforms. Decent pedal for cheap.
    I have two other upgrades I would like to make fairly soon, but looking for input. First off, I've heard the handlebars are ridiculously heavy stock. I'm looking for a budget bar that is still a quality bar. Cheaper the better for starting out, but not too cheap to get into the junk category.
    And last I want to pick up a set of tires. I race motocross so I know the value of tires and they make all the difference in the world. I'm from the southeast. Alabama to be exact. I haven't been out on many trails, but from training for motocross in the woods some, I can imagine a variety of hard packed, then rocks and roots in places. Will not be looking to ride in mud alot, much it always jumps in front of me !
    Have been reading About a fasttrak rear and ground control front or a maxxis setup. Ikon and Ardent maybe? Would have to look again. What is everyone's input on tires?? Ill do a little commuting as well so I don't want a race tire that will wear out super quick, but it wont see too much pavement.

Thanks guys, you have all already been a ton of help just from the info I've read the past few months. Can't wait to hit the trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    As you may have read in my posts before, we have done similar 'beefing up' to my son's hardrock disc.

The stock bars were heavy so we went wider and lots lighter. We used my parts bin for stock. I had 685mm (stock were 640) Easton EA30 mid rise. They are cheap and have worked well.

He had the same pedals as you but they had seen better days on his previous mtb so as I had recently tried some kona wah wah pedals but gone back to Mg1's the kona pedals are now on his bike.

Tyres he wanted were bigger, more hardhitting choice so 2.35 maxxis High Rollers on it now. But we get mud in the UK and they seem to shed that ok. Bit hard going on the road though but its not what he uses it for.

Enjoy the new bike and keep us posted.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the info! I had read about your sons bike. I believe those Eastons may be a good way to go on a budget.
    Still unsure on tires but I have a few days!
    Any more info??

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Cool.

He hasn't made loads of other changes. Just a chunky neoprene chainstay protector to avoid chain slap and he couldn't get on with the stock saddle and so we fitted a WTB Volt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You can catch a glimpse of his bike btw on this page of the Camber thread:
    Official Specialized Camber Thread

Before the bar and saddle change though.

mtbr member
    Upgrade the fork!
    I have a 2011 HR sport disc 29.
    I bought it being new to the sport and fell in love with MTBing. All i can say is changing the junky suntour 80mm fork to a rock shox recon 100mm was like night and day.
    I have everything on my bike upgraded except for the frame.
    Thing upgrade that give me the most of my ride was the Fork!
    Upgrades i did:
    x5 2x10 crank 38/26
    shimano m540 clipless pedals
    sram 1070 cassette 11-36
    sram 10speed chain
    x9 rear 10 speed mid cage
    x7 front 2x10
    elixir code R Hydro brakes
    180mm Rotors (i weight 245lbs)
    Roval rim w/ spesh hi/lo hub (new take offs from craigslist)
    Captain sport tires 29.2.0 tubeless
    WTB pure V saddle
    Easton seatpost stem bars
    spesh grips, sarfas bar ends
    rock shox recon gold tk 100mm

Facebook
    link to photo of the bike....hope it works

So Next is to take all the good stuff off and put it on my GFs 29er and sell it off
    and buy myself a camber comp 29 w/ Mavic crossmax ST 29 wheels

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for everyone's replies!
    The bike should come in today or tomorrow. Can't wait.
    Looking at some different tire and bar choices right now, but hard making a decision.
    I want to go with a bigger tire combo like a 2.35 rear, 2.5 front but I think I'm going to wait on going that big. I'm thinking a 2.1/2.2 rear with a 2.35 front for now.

As for bars, I'm going to ride it and see how the stockers feel and go from there so ill know if I want much rise or a straight bar or what.

And for forks, that'll be in the near future. Probably in the spring or so. Looking at some of the rockshox because of good prices. Still have alot of research to do on forks though.

How heavy are the cranks and wheels on this bike?? I think after the fork, a wheel set would be next...unless I taco one sooner!

After I push the bike far enough to want more, ill more than likely just buy a frame and build it up from most stuff I already have. From there put the stock stuff back on the HR and maybe make it a rigid. Those are super long term plans though lol

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    The crank is a heavy octalink Suntour model IIRC. Any of the Shimano, Sram/Truvativ, or Raceface cranks with the outboard BBs and hollow axels will be lighter(and likely less flexy).

The rims are also heavy and flexy. You can actually buy a set of Stans Flow EXs, meant for All Mountain riding, and loose a considerable amount of weight and gain an incredible amount of stiffness. At your weight, Arches may even be suitable.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I love my 2010 hard rock disc 26er that I have. Been riding it since I bought it brand new. Fork was the first to go than the brakes. After 2-1/2 years I have upgraded as stuff word out and when I find killer deals. Here's my set up

Rockshox recon solo air (set to 100mm)
    Avid elixir 1 hydraulic brakes (160 F&R)
    Ryhno lite wheel set on deore hubs
    Sram x-9 rear shifter
    Sram pg970 cassette
    Sram pc951 chain
    Shimano deore crankset
    Bbg bashguard
    Odi lock on grips
    RACE FACE DEUS XC STEM
    TRUVATIV HOLZFELLER SL HANDLEBAR
    Kenda nevegal tomac stick-e 2.1
    Wtb weirwolf 2.1

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddin22 View Post
    I love my 2010 hard rock disc 26er that I have. Been riding it since I bought it brand new. Fork was the first to go than the brakes. After 2-1/2 years I have upgraded as stuff word out and when I find killer deals. Here's my set up

Rockshox recon solo air (set to 100mm)
    Sram x-9 rear shifter
    Sram pg970 cassette
    Sram pc951 chain
    Shimano deore crankset
    Bbg bashguard
    Odi lock on grips
    RACE FACE DEUS XC STEM
    Wtb weirwolf 2.1
    Sounds like you have a great setup! Can you post any pics?
    Also how do you like that tire setup!?

mtbr member
    May 2010

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i love my kenda front tire. I think i would go for a matching rear or possibly a excavator 2.1 tire.. I am interested on hearing reviews on the new version of the wtb weirwolf. I am running the old weirwolf. It is starting to slip a little bit but there isn't much tread left on the rear so its almost time for a new rear tire. I love my hardrock and i do get bashed on forum sometimes and by people about building up a bike that "inferior". It was a great learning bike and when you crash and brake something its not as expensive to fix as on the higher end bikes. I have broken parts and replaced them with parts that i personally picked out and got really good deals on every part i have put on. I have made the bike fit me over the years and couldn't be more happier with how my bike has turned out and if the frame ever broke or i choose to go to a full suspension all i need is a frame.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I figured I would update you guys!
    Still waiting on parts to come overseas from CRC, and some from pricepoint but I got a couple things coming.
    I tried the 50mm stem that come on my bike. Felt short and the LBS said they would swap it for a longer. The next longest they had was 90mm. I figured it'd be long, but tried it. Even with the bars tilted way back, it feels too long.
    So, I ordered a 65 mm titec el Norte prolite stem and a set of sette edge bars. I wanted a wider bar and they were 710mm. Maybe a hair long for me, unsure but can always cut them down a bit. Also with the new combo, it'll be 31.8 instead of 25.4mm. A little stronger so happy about that as well.
    As for tires, I'm going to order an ardent front with ignitor rear. Have had quite a few recommendations on that combo

Still Waiting on the pedals, grips, etc. also ordered me a cheap bottle cage and a few bottles. Next will be tires theb either broken parts or forks more than likely.

While awaiting everything, i did build me a PVC bike Stand. Used 1" but wish I would've went 1.5". A little wobbly with just one bike but not terrible. Going to cut a few extra pieces so I can swap fittings around and put two bikes in it when my cousin rides with me

mtbr member
    May 2010
    How much did all the PVC run you? I upgraded my stem to a race face stem and a 31mm truvativ riser bar and its wider. 680mm I believe. Haven't had a chance to try the combo but I can't believe how heavy the stock bar and stem are on hard rock

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I know it! They're outrageous. I took my bars and stem off to carry my stem to my lbs and was amazed how heavy it was. I think the new setup will be nice. I did the push-up method and it was 698mm so my bars may be a hair wide but going to try them out first.

As for the PVC, the pipe itself was $3.33. I bought two though because a messed up on one cut. Go figure haha
    Then you need 6 T's and 6 90s. The best way to do that is get the construction pack that comes with 5 or 6 in it for 3$ or so. You could build one for around 10-12$. Not expensive at all

I would recommend going with atleast 1-1/2" if your only going to use it for one bike. 1" works okay and is cheaper, but I think 1-1/2" would be a little more sturdy

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I will go get the PVC on Friday when I go by Home Depot. Yeah I am surprised at how heavy a lot of the stock parts are. When I pulled my crank off to put my shimano deore crankset on I was surprise at the difference in weight. But I did go with the hollow tech crank. Are you running stock tires now? If so you will be surprised at how it handles with knobbier tires

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Told you those stock bars were heavy guys lol

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Wouldn't have believed they were so heavy being as they are 25mm and thin. It's like they pump the bars full of lead

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I can't wait till the snow melts a little so I can ride

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anything below 45 is freezing to me. I'm from alabama though so I'm use to the warm weather. I rode the other day for the first ride. It was 38 degrees and I thought I was goin to freeze. Mainly my throat being so cold from breathing but still chilly.

Today was my first ride above 50 degrees and it felt awesome. It wasn't much of a ride, just took my lab about a mile and a half or so. Mainly pavement but good exercise for her.

I'm so ready to have the other parts. Can't wait! Should be here at the end of the week. Tires will be the best upgrade in my opinion. Tires on anything are a major upgrade.

Even though my first ride was hell on me, I'm hooked! Today's ride, even being on pavement, was a blast. Especially with my pup. Upgrades will slowly pile in.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    HR upgrades-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357508587.284685.jpg
    HR upgrades-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357508601.023422.jpg
    HR upgrades-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357508608.741487.jpg

Rockshox recon solo air (set to 120mm) (10 weight oil)
    Sram x-9 rear shifter
    Sram pg970 cassette
    Sram pc951 chain
    Shimano deore crankset
    Bbg bashguard
    Odi lock on grips
    RACE FACE DEUS XC STEM
    Kendall nevegal Tomac DTC 2.1
    Lizard skin chainstay protector

mtbr member
    May 2012
    A little update for you guys.
    Still haven't received my pedals and stuff from CRC. Emailed them and they said the could send me another shipment but I'm waiting a few more days since its been holidays and I'm sure customs has been busy.

But, got all adjustments made where the bike feels good. Still some minor adjustments here and there I'm sure but everything is close.

Added a bottle cage, a titec el Norte 65mm 6 degree stem, 710mm sette edge bars, a sette computer I got for cheap, etc.

Grips and Tires will be next. Decided almost for sure on the ardent front, ignitor rear combo. Then some forks but unsure what I want there yet. Trying to keep everything cheap or a budget build to turn out great. Gonna upgrade to deore stuff when the derailleurs and stuff fails. Also upgrade to a 9 spd cassette instead of 8.

Great build ideas I think. Nothing major, just a decent build to work well.

Here's a couple pics for you all
    HR upgrades-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357512586.777599.jpg
    HR upgrades-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357512601.611055.jpg
    HR upgrades-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357512616.528234.jpg
    HR upgrades-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357512633.159817.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Awesome and glad you are getting out there on your hardrock. Tires are a great upgrade

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    True. The Maxxis High Rollers have done a good job of making the HR feel more 'beefy' (which my son wanted).

The Fast Trax punctured very easily and didn't have great cornering grip.

mtbr member
    I have a 5 foot 115 lbs soon to be 11 year old boy with a 2007 hardrock sport 15" with 26" and rim brakes.
    I'd like to lighten it up a bit any good tips?
    I've got the bike as a 1x8 so drop the front derailiour and shifter..
    I was thinking maybe lighter rims( keep the hubs and spokes) or maybe lighter and thinner tires currently had 2.20 on maybe go to a 1.9 in the rear?
    Maybe a fork?
    I honestly only have about 125 or 150 to put into the bike
    He will out grown it I a season or two but from experience I know that the right bike is the way to help him get the MTB bug!

All ideas welcome
    Thanks!

Throw some ideas at me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast