mtbr member

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post

I recently switched to a 1x drivetrain and since I only have one shifter I wanted to see if I could use a front shifter to operate my Command Post. The 2nd and 3rd Gen Command post uses a regular derailleur cable, so I figured it would be fairly easy to make it happen.

I have an XX1 drivetrain on my bike, so the closest match I could find was an XX 2x front shifter. The XX front shifters only come in 2x, but you can use a 3x from another line. The 3x has more range of movement, but I found the 2x range to be perfect for operating the Command post.

(More info/pix for trigger shifter setup coming soon but here is a peak at the final results)

Sup
    page 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-1-grip-shift.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-2.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-3.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-4.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-5.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-5.5.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-6.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-7.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-8.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-9.jpg  

I am slow therefore I am

Sup
    page 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-10.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-11.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-12.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-13.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-14.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-15.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-17.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-18.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-19.jpg  

I am slow therefore I am

Sup
    there is no step 16
    enjoy

Sj
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-19.5.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-20.jpg  

How to use a grip or trigger shifter to operate a Command Post-step-21.jpg  

I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    subscribed

mtbr member
    man,this is pure genius !!

mtbr member
    I have the pix for the XX shift write up, and should get some for an x7 shifter tonight. That means I'll finish the shifter write up real soon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This is going to solve a big headache with our Cambers come spring. The thread seems to be missing pictures for steps 5 through 7...at least for me. What is being done with the shifter - is the gear detent being removed?

mtbr member
    I should have an update real soon!

mtbr member
    Sorry for the late update. Kind of forgot about this one.

Modifying a shifter to work a command post is super easy. I've done this to X7, X9, X0 and XX 2x shifters. I havent tried it on a 3x shifter, but i suspect it would work the same.

Step one:
    Find a thin short screw smaller than the XX cover screw.

Step 2
    Press in the small down shift lever and install the screw into the lower left hand corner just below the lever.

before:

after:

The screw will be held into place by the spring pressure trying to return the C shaped mechanism back toward the trigger. With the screw in the way the shifter will no engage and it allows the larger shifter to move its full range of motion every time.

Step 3:
    Run cable to command post just like normal and use the command post barrel adjust and the shifter barrel adjust to get the pull just right. I found that by shortening the pull length required to active the seat post (pull down slightly on the mechanism under the seat), you can find a sweet spot where the dropper will release with the full motion of the lever, but still raise back up enough to lock it into place.

I've run this mod for over 4 months with zero issues!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Small update-

The shifter mod is still work great, no issues at all!
    I also recently picked up a Specialized Fatboy and installed a Command Post. The Fatboy boy has grip shifters, and I went 1x10 and used the left side grip shift to operate the post. I didnt mod it like up though, so it works a bit different. Click it forward and it "unlocks" the posts so you can adjust it,then click it back to relock it into position.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm interested in doing something similar with my Thomson dropper, I've got a SLX shifter laying around I could use. Hopefully the throw on the lever is the same or close to the Thomson remote.
    My plan was to remove the ratchet ring or whatever it's called and possibly cut/remove the smaller down shifter as it won't be needed. I'll have to take it apart when I get home and have a look.

mtbr member
    If you put a screw in like the pix above, you get full range of lever motion, but it still returns like normal.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sounds like less work that dremeling the shifter, I'll give it a shot!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    why do you prefer this to just using the normal handlebar trigger ? I'm not seeing the big advantage - is it just simpler to activate on the fly ? The shifter weighs several ounces more than the normal thumb trigger too.

I like the ingenuity though, I have been playing around with using lockout thumb triggers to change my adjustable fork travel on the fly.

mtbr member
    Ergonomics. On my trail bike using the shifter with your thumb allows you to drop the post without releasing your grip. With the standard Command post lever you have to reach out further and release your grip and rotate your wrist. When your ripping down a trail and it suddenly gets steep and you need to drop the post quickly, it is much easier and safer to do so with the shifter. Plus the action is 10x smoother.

On the fatbike I went 1x10, so the left gripshift was unused. If I removed it, then I'd have a different grip on each side, unless I wanted to convert the right side to a trigger. Also Instead of putting the stock lever way on the inside of the grip shift (which takes up a ton of room) I wanted easier access to it, so I used the grip shift.

It might not be a big deal to some people, but I use my dropper post way more than my shifter, so fast, easy access to it is key. I also dont care if my bike is 20g or whatever heavier because of it.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy