mtbr member
    Aug 2005

How tough are Stumpjumper FSR s

I am trying to decide between an 06 stumpjumper FSR/stumpjumper comp FSR or an Enduro. BTW I am 6'4", 205lbs. I ride what I call technical XC. I try jump everything in my path and like to go off small drops(1-2 ft), go over logs, etc. I have not attempted anything bigger yet; all I have is a inexpensive Trek hardtail at the moment. I do not do dirt jumps (jumping from one mound to another), just small jumps. Where I ride has a lot of washed out small downhills and tons of root filled singletrack. There is also a place to do 5+ drops, although I have not tried since I have the wrong equipment.

The bike has to be able to take some abuse. Are the stumpjumper FSRs with 5" susp. durable enough or are they more for keeping on the ground. Does the Enduro slack seat and head angle make climbing difficult? What is the weight difference in the bikes. This is not a huge deal, since I weigh over 200lbs. I am just trying to get the most bang for my buck. I want a bike that I can do all types of trail riding including jumps/drops.

Test riding the bikes does't answer these questions since you can only ride the bikes in the parking lot.

Thanks for your input.

Doug

mtbr member
    I bought an 06 Stumpjumper about a month ago, and I loved it. Great light bike for xc and can handle 2-3 foot drops. Now, my girlfriend decided to get into mtbing, so she took over my stumpy and I bought an 06 Enduro elite last week.

The Enduro is a little heavier, but not enough to really detract from the bike. In my opinion it climbs just as well as the stumpy did and it feels much more stable on fast downhills. I've hucked it off some 3 footers and all is well, but it isn't a big drop bike. I'm actually looking to upgrade to the longer travel DHX 5.0 (8.75" x 2.5") over my DHX 4.0 (8.50" x 2.25") to handle some bigger drops.

So to answer your question I would lean toward the Enduro, especailly since you are a bigger guy, I'm 140 lbs. If you want to hit those 5 footers definatly look into getting the pro or expert over the regular or elite.

mechmann_mtb
    i was faced with the same decision and chose the enduro. great bike.

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

I went with the Stumpy Comp.

For what its worth, I went with an 06 XL Stumpy Comp. I am 6'3" and maybe 235 with all the gear on, I ride similiar trails to what you described and went through the same decision you did about a month ago. My main concerns were price and weight, the Stumpy Comp was the least in both. I had saved up for almost a year and when the 06 models came out I couldn't wait/save anymore. I was wishing for an expert/pro level of either the stumpy or enduro. I paid $2000 for the Comp and couldn't justify the extra $$$ for an Enduro. Coming from an old Rockhopper HT, I was blown away by how the shock and fork work in harmony to absorb so much of the trail. My riding friends all have beefier FS bikes and on the steep ups were jealous of my old Rockhopper HT (haha). That said, everyone says when you get a new bike, especially your first FS bike, your bravado and riding skills increase. I guess its possible I could "out-grow" the Stumpy, and down the line wish I had bought an Enduro. Only time will tell, but the bottom line is the Stumpy is strong, no flex in the rear, and the shock and fork absorb most everything the trail brings. Either way you will be blown away at how much better a FS bike rides. Happy purchasing!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The Stumpy is a strong XC/Trail bike, but...

IS NOT DESIGNED for drops or jumps. If you even THINK that you may regularly do drops of more than 1 or 2 feet, get the Enduro. The Stumpy is a great bike, I know I have an 05, but I would no more feed it a steady diet of drops than I would my XC hardtail. It's a great epic XC and trail bike, but not heavy duty enough for the riding that you are talking about, esspecially at your weight. So take if from a 230lb Stumpy rider, go with the Enduro for the riding that you do.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    the stumpy is all mountain. it can handle occasional stunts. if you are seeking them out get a bike made for it. go for the enduro, maybe even the enduro 130.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the info I am leaning more towards the Enduro. Now all I have to do is save enough money and find a LBS that carries them so I can take one for a ride.

Doug

mtbr member
    I've been doing 3-4 footers on my stumpy a fair bit, and in light of this thread I'm trying to decide if I shouldn't be. I weigh about 155 pounds, and probably am on the "medium" side of smoothness.

Basically what I'm looking for is someone to come in and say that they do 6 footers on stumpies no problem, so basically someone like me isn't even pushing the limits of the bike.

mtbr member
    I've been doing 3-4 footers on my stumpy a fair bit, and in light of this thread I'm trying to decide if I shouldn't be. I weigh about 155 pounds, and probably am on the "medium" side of smoothness.

Basically what I'm looking for is someone to come in and say that they do 6 footers on stumpies no problem, so basically someone like me isn't even pushing the limits of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yes you're pushing it, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfist

Not quite as hard as dougj at 205lbs or myself at 230lbs would if we were doing the same. We out weigh you by 55 and 75lbs respectively. Still the Stumpy is not built for a steady diet of 3 to 4 foot drops. It will easily handle the OCCASIONAL drop or jump, but just isn't designd to do it all the time. Under your weight it'll probably handle it for quite a while, but eventually you are going to do some damage to the frame. How long that will be is hard to guess. The Stumpy is a strong bike, but it is still designed around an XC type frame. It just depends on to many factors. Doing 3-4 footers a fair bit?, once a ride 2, 3 times a ride, once every other ride? Are you droping to transition or flat? on dirt or pavemnt? Who knows. Yeah you're probably pushing it. The bike will let you know when you hit it's limits. You just need to be aware that you are riding in a way the bike was not designed to be ridden is all, and will or would probably last allot longer keeping it on the ground for the most part.

As for what you are looking for, I'd bet that 99% of the folks that do 6 footers wouldn't even give a Stumpy a second look when shopping for a bike! The right tool for the right job definately comes into play here.

Good Dirt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    IS NOT DESIGNED for drops or jumps. If you even THINK that you may regularly do drops of more than 1 or 2 feet, get the Enduro.
    Good Dirt

Surely anything billed as a "mountain bike" could handle a paltry one foot drop?

mtbr member

Brocken one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    Surely anything billed as a "mountain bike" could handle a paltry one foot drop?
    Ok maybe for peace of mind we should be asking who has Brocken their stumpy and how?

Also i think there is a huge diference between small (say up to 3 foot) trail jumps with a trany or hoping a log, droping a small bank ...and the sort of downhill lunacy that the new enduro is aimed at ..I mean the new Enduro is a great bike but you gota be pretty damn agrresive to even scrape its potential.and i have owned bikes in a simalar vein,the lack of pedal stomping aceleration and climbing in grany grinding away for ages dont apeal over the svelt lithe ride that the stumpy offers imo.

And i dont want to offend any Enduro owners or start a your bikes better than mine thread but i think a lota people will never use its abillity and are spending big bucks on hype an wanna be aspirations.

Oooooh did i say that .
    Last edited by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk; 10-28-2005 at 07:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Certainly, but notice I said...

Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    Drops of MORE than 1 or 2 feet on a REGULAR basis. The occasional 3 or 4 footer isn't even that big of a deal on an XC or Trail bike (depending on the skill of the rider). But a steady diet of heavy drops will kill them. I am also taking into consideration the riders stated riding style, and his stated weight (200+), and the fact that he states that he may be doing 5+ foot drops if he has the right equipment. If this is what he wants to do then a Stumpy 120 is NOT the right tool for the job. Especially if he wants the tool to last for a while. You are right, any mountain bike worth the name will take 1 to 2 footers pretty regular, and the occasional bigger drop now and then. They just don't react well to anything much bigger on regular basis.

Good Dirt

Boomslang

Consider the Enduro

Doug,

You don't need to worry about breaking the SJ. It is plenty strong.

HOWEVER, at your weight I would suggest an Enduro. You will definitely appreciate the increase in frame stiffness, fork stiffness, wider tires and wider/stronger rims. All these factors are a better match for guys our size. (I weigh 200 lbs) Then you'll have added piece of mind about strength too.

The Enduro will be there for you as your abilities grow. If you find that your skills are improving and you’re hitting bigger drops, you won't out ride the Enduro, but you might find the SJ less confidence inspiring in the future.

Jake Wake - FSR Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by dougj
    I am trying to decide between an 06 stumpjumper FSR/stumpjumper comp FSR or an Enduro. BTW I am 6'4", 205lbs. I ride what I call technical XC. I try jump everything in my path and like to go off small drops(1-2 ft), go over logs, etc. I have not attempted anything bigger yet; all I have is a inexpensive Trek hardtail at the moment. I do not do dirt jumps (jumping from one mound to another), just small jumps. Where I ride has a lot of washed out small downhills and tons of root filled singletrack. There is also a place to do 5+ drops, although I have not tried since I have the wrong equipment.

The bike has to be able to take some abuse. Are the stumpjumper FSRs with 5" susp. durable enough or are they more for keeping on the ground. Does the Enduro slack seat and head angle make climbing difficult? What is the weight difference in the bikes. This is not a huge deal, since I weigh over 200lbs. I am just trying to get the most bang for my buck. I want a bike that I can do all types of trail riding including jumps/drops.

Test riding the bikes does't answer these questions since you can only ride the bikes in the parking lot.

Thanks for your input.

Doug
    Last edited by JakeWake; 10-28-2005 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeWake
    Doug,

You don't need to worry about breaking the SJ. It is plenty strong.

HOWEVER, at your weight I would suggest an Enduro. You will definitly appreciate the increase in frame stiffness, fork stiffness, wider tires and wider/stronger rims. All these factors are a better match for guys our size. (I weigh 200 lbs) Then you'll have added peice of mind about strength too.

The Endruo will be there for you as your abilities grow. If you find taht your skills are improving and your hitting bigger drops, you won't out ride the Enduro, but you might find the SJ less confidence inspiring in the future.

Jake Wake - FSR Engineer
    Well thats gota be the Definitve answer on that question ,and from the horses mouth thanks jakewake

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pm55
    Now, my girlfriend decided to get into mtbing, so she took over my stumpy and I bought an 06 Enduro elite last week.
    Is she as tall as you are? Because she might give up too soon because that bike just might not fit her properly. It may be a good idea to get her a women-specific saddle, slightly shorter stem, and trim the ends of the bar to around 60cm too keep her enthousiastic about MTBing!

mtbr member

Jake hit it on the head...

Doug--

I just finished building up my 'dream' 5" bike about 6 weeks ago: a s-works Stumpy 120...my skills have been rapidly developing over the last 2 years, and I wanted that 'one' bike to do all my riding. However, I already am looking at upgrading to a beefier bike!
    I weigh about 190 fully geared up, and ride rough xc & some 1-2' jumps-the Stumpy holds up ok, but i can feel that I need a more substantial frame, shock & fork under me...I just blow thru the travel on the SJ-even w/ high pressure in the fork & shock. But then, I have a stiff feeling bike on the techy singletrack stuff.
    If I knew then what I know now, I'd have bought the new Enduro (actually, a Turner 6-pack) and built it up 'lite.'

Just my 2c

John
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dougj
    I ride what I call technical XC.
    I enjoy the same type of riding. I didn't buy the Enduro simply because I couldn't afford it.

Though not really the bikes fault, the only drawback to my Stumpy is the rear shock. It does a poor job of supporting my 240lbs. I have to pump it up to a crazy 280psi to get any performance from it.

The Enduro's long-throw rear shock would have done a better job at supporting my weight.

However, I have not found the Stumpy's limitations. It has done everything I've asked it without hesitation. My skills are the only thing holding it back from more.

Yeah, and my name is Doug too!

This was taken yesterday! Remember, it's more fun to ride than shop!

I Just Ride....

This one time in Moab....

A few years ago, I saw a guy racing DH on the DH race course in Moab on a 99 Stump FSR XC Pro.
    He put on the BETD linkage, some disk brakes a longer travel fork (A Marzocchi 4" fork, this was 2000 I believe), and some bigger tires.
    He was in either the beginner or sport class, so it wasn't like he was going all out.
    I think this Stump FSR xc frame is pretty durable.
    Just my two cents.
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    A few years ago, I saw a guy racing DH on the DH race course in Moab on a 99 Stump FSR XC Pro.
    He put on the BETD linkage, some disk brakes a longer travel fork (A Marzocchi 4" fork, this was 2000 I believe), and some bigger tires.
    He was in either the beginner or sport class, so it wasn't like he was going all out.
    I think this Stump FSR xc frame is pretty durable.
    Just my two cents.
    Brian

The Stumpy is a lovley Bike.
    But I dont think i am gona be happy with just one bike, as i want to do some freeriding, a bit of DH a bit of DJ and rip those fast flowing single tracks and i dont think the bike exists that does it all well.