Proud 501st Trooper
    Apr 2006

How tight should the adjuster knob be on the Brain Shock?

Just bought an 2006 Epic Comp and need to know how tight the knob should be to adjust the Brain shock. Mine seems way to stiff. It feels like it needs tools to turn. Any info will be great...

mtbr member

same here

I've got a new epic marathon, and I can't budge the knob by hand, and I am reluctant to force it. I've heard rumors that it will get better after riding it a bit, but I would like some more info if possible as well.

mtbr member
    On my '06 Brain Fade, the knob is more difficult to turn than your average rebound knob, for example, but it does turn, and it does make a difference in how the shock behaves. I think the sides of the knob have that grippy surface for a reason-- it does take a bit of force. But if you're trying to turn it as it is meant to be turned, I wouldn't worry about breaking anything. I have not had it long enough (still less than 40 miles on it) to say if it gets better with age. Unless .... all of ours are broken! ... but, probably not.

mtbr member

Brain Fade

My Brain Fade on 06 Stumpjumper was very hard to turn when bike was first out of shop around mid March- it still is tight to adjust but has loosened a bit and is easier to turn now. Approximately 100 ++ miles on bike. When I first adjusted it I thought it was strangely difficult but have had no problems-I believe it is the proper functioning of the shock.

mtbr member
    They're all apparently pretty tight. All the ones I've test ridden were pretty difficult to turn.

Someone sent a letter to the editor in the latest edition of MBA that suggests using a 4mm Allen wrench in the holes on the knob for leverage if its stuck...

Proud 501st Trooper
    Apr 2006
    The 4mm worked like a charm. Its still a little stiff to turn, and take note that mine had been factory set at one click from full lock. So I took a little care on how i turned the knob with the wrench. I bumped the air pressure up to 180, witch is twenty over the book but I have the ride I want with the setting three clicks from stiff..
    Thanks for the info.
    Rubber side down...

Proud 501st Trooper
    Apr 2006
    The 4mm worked like a charm. Its still a little stiff to turn, and take note that mine had been factory set at one click from full lock. So I took a little care on how i turned the knob with the wrench. I bumped the air pressure up to 180, witch is twenty over the book but I have the ride I want with the setting three clicks from stiff..
    Thanks for the info.
    Rubber side down...

XC Racer
    Sep 2005
    I have a 2006 Epic and the adjuster knob on the Brain was difficult to turn at first but now that I have a few hundred miles and a couple of races on it turns with no problems.