mtbr member

how to remove DHX 5 A shock from SX frame?

have a 2007 enduro expert with an sx frame. want to remove the DHX 5 A rear shock to do a modification i read about here, but never removed a rear shock before. removing the front end of the shock looks straight forward...any suggestion on how the disconnect the back end of the shock? does it just "slide right out" after you remove what ever it is you need to remove?
    thanks.

mtbr member
    just remove the axle and nut holding everything together with an 8mm allen and a 19mm socket.
    pay attention to the orientation of the spacers so you can put it all back together correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    just remove the axle and nut holding everything together with an 8mm allen and a 19mm socket.
    pay attention to the orientation of the spacers so you can put it all back together correctly.
    thanks!

mtbr member
    use some grease when you try to put the spacers back on. It'll hold them together while you get the shock eye in place to slide the bolt back through. It's a pain the 1st few times but I've got mine down pat.

mtbr member
    if you dont mind...i have another question for you on this subject. i was only able to get the axle about half way out. should this come all the way out once you get the nut off do you really have to yank on this thing to get it out?

thanks!

mtbr member
    it can be a bit tough.
    if the bike is in a stand or sitting upright on the tires the pressure of the suspension wanting to compress or extend can make everything tight. try releasing some of that pressure by putting the bike in a stand and lift up on the rear wheel gently while wiggling on the axle as you pull.

if that doesn't do it find a wooden dowel or something semi-soft that you can use to put in the opening and tap it with a hammer or mallet to help push on the axle. this is what i end up doing sometimes.

mtbr member
    it can be a bit tough.
    if the bike is in a stand or sitting upright on the tires the pressure of the suspension wanting to compress or extend can make everything tight. try releasing some of that pressure by putting the bike in a stand and lift up on the rear wheel gently while wiggling on the axle as you pull.

if that doesn't do it find a wooden dowel or something semi-soft that you can use to put in the opening and tap it with a hammer or mallet to help push on the axle. this is what i end up doing sometimes.
    i'll give that a try. thanks again

mtbr member
    it can be a bit tough.

was able to remove it once i lifted the tire a bit.

thanks for the help.