mtbr member

How often should I get my shocks serviced?

How often should I get my shocks serviced? I have a 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro and have 2 full seasons ( 2500 miles ) on the fork (Fox Float RLC) and have never had the fork serviced. My LBS had the Fox Triad Shock serviced last year and I now have about 1300 miles on that. I took my bike into my LBS for a spring tune up and they told me since I ride my bike on both the road (rail trails- ect.) and dirt ( fire roads, single track ect.) that I do not have to have my shocks serviced as often. Is this true or should I start looking for another shop?

mtbr member

Fox Talas Service

Stump Jumper FSR, I was reading my Fox Talas owners manual last night (I just got my first Stumpjumper) and I believe it recomended comlete rebuild every 18 months- as you know this is probably subject to ride conditions and other variables.

The Quick reference guide in Fox Talas owners manual also states:

Before every ride, wash and dry exterior.
    Every 25 hours- clean and inspect dust wipers
    Every 100 hours inspect dropout thickness
    Every 200 hours or Annually- inspect bushings/change oil/change float fluid in air chamber
    (float,f-series, fx)

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The fox user manual for the rear-shocks states the following numbers:

- every ride: clean shock
    - every 40 hours: air-sleeve maintenance by user (removing shock from bike and taking it apart) - in muddy conditions every 8 hours!
    - every 100 hours: service by fox

40 hours seems to be quite low - this is every two month or so
    how this is supposed to be handled in reality is beyond me... maybe i'll have to shell out the 120 euros for a torque wrench to do shock-maintenance...